Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Picking up a M6 Hellcat

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #161
We’ll after trying to remove the studs on that BMW I’m sure this was a walk in the park. 😂
The only challenge was the bolt for the shift linkage. Just such a tight fit between the Barton and the shift linkage that getting it to align so I could get the bolt through was difficult.

All in all a pretty easy job though.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I could not tell any difference between v1 and v3. Both drove the same to me. I didn’t do the spring mod either.
12163D0F-2DAA-4935-A20A-7AE017829217.jpeg 59A34B5B-0D10-4059-A893-844FB802E5EF.jpeg

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #163
Well that was quick! Maybe I’ll have to work from home tomorrow. Pretty sure I can be just as productive with my laptop in the garage while I change my brakes as I am in the office…

6A59F72A-5744-44C0-B947-368EFE5DA7A3.jpeg

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #164
New tire day. Pretty excited, the car has the original 6 year old tires on it. They’re hard as a hockey puck. These should make it ride so much nicer.

CD3467F9-01E4-412F-9282-0C710E6476C6.jpeg

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
New tire day. Pretty excited, the car has the original 6 year old tires on it. They’re hard as a hockey puck. These should make it ride so much nicer.

View attachment 62163

Where did you go for the tires?

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #166
Where did you go for the tires?
Discount Tire. They seem to have the best prices and usually always have a promo if you create an online account and order on their website.

Last time I got my snow tires for the BMW it was a 10% promo, this time it was a 5% promo plus they give 10% military discount on top of that. And they were cheaper than Tire Rack before adding in those discounts.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #167
Wheels are on, brakes are on, and I’m happy to find zero vibration at any speed so far from the tires. I spent the better part of 6 months fighting vibrations on two different sets of wheels/tires on my last Hellcat.

One set was just never getting balanced properly while the other set (MPS4s) had a bad tire from the factory that we eventually replaced and the vibration went away. Needless to say, I was half expecting the 70-80 mph vibration that so many experience.

Going to wait for some warmer weather and then change all the fluids. Should be as good as new at that point.

It still has the recall open for the cats, what was the consensus on getting that done? I had it done on my last Hellcat and it made no difference at all but I know some people had very different opinions about it.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
With how much cats cost nowadays and how important they are, I'd take a new set on the car for free if you can get them!

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
And on the other side of the coin I’m waiting until my car no longer passes NYS Inspection before bringing mine in.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
No perceptible change on my ‘16 M6. I did tell the service writer to make sure the exhaust tips were perfectly aligned, and they were.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
@AeroF16 you need to change the Thread Title😁

Picked up a Hellcat took her apart and put her back together🤪

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #172
@AeroF16 you need to change the Thread Title😁

Picked up a Hellcat took her apart and put her back together🤪
Haha I wouldn’t say that! Just small stuff.

My wife“I don’t care if you buy it, just don’t spend all day and all night out in the garage working on it!”

Me: “Oh yeah, I definitely won’t”

The first week I had it:

984EC61D-C192-4EBE-92A6-AD5D1F5D69E0.jpeg

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Snow tires?? That is sick. Wood be the definition of hell fer me.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #174
Snow tires?? That is sick. Wood be the definition of hell fer me.
Well, I don’t blame you. They’re not on the Hellcat though. But I’m 37 so I don’t mind the cold yet and this is my view when I drive out of my garage. Can’t wait to take the kids up to the mountains…

0237F21D-0496-43C0-B522-E6A9C76AE871.jpeg

Last edited:

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Now if I did not spend my 20s and 30s working outside. From Kentucky to NC working as a boiler maker. Not fun. That is a beatiful picture of the white caps. I was never home, so my adoptive son had to depend on his mom for after school activities. He was in a private school and she was going thru college. 2 years turned into 20. She didn't know how to stop and I had to take jobs out of town. Running union crews when I was in management. Not pretty. Did this for years till the local unions between Jacksonville and Miami descided to make me an honorary member. Good move on their part. Taught chiller insulation for local 69. Peace in the valley.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Well, I don’t blame you. They’re not on the Hellcat though. But I’m 37 and this is my view when I drive out of my garage. Can’t wait to take the kids up to the mountains…

View attachment 62253

I skied at Powder Mountain (before they got bought out and expanded) back country

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Well, I cancelled with RoadRunner and booked with Sherpa Auto Transport.

https://www.sherpaautotransport.com/

The reason I cancelled was RoadRunner still has not assigned a carrier and the pickup is due on Monday. What I didn't know with Roadrunner (first time shipping a car for me), is that the pickup date was not guaranteed. It appeared that way online but somewhere in the small text I'm sure it said it wasn't. When I would check in with them to see if this was going to happen on time or not, they basically told me they'll keep slipping the date until they find a carrier.

So, I called around and got a few different quotes. Sherpa actually called me to chat about this and I learned a lot. They can see the "job board", which is all the jobs out for bid right now, so they could see my job out for bid with Roadrunner. He said they (Roadrunner) have the job out for bid at a price that is too low, so nobody is picking it up right now. For example, of the $1700 I was going to pay Roadrunner, they were only going to pay the driver $1300. If there wasn't much work this week, I am sure someone would pick it up. However, there seems to be plenty of work and the Sherpa rep gave me a price based on that real time data, so the bid can actually be competitive with other bids out there and someone will actually pick it up.

So, cancelled with Roadrunner (didn't cost me anything because they hadn't assigned a driver yet) and booked with Sherpa. Sherpa did not think highly of Roadrunner and thought that some of their stuff was gimmicky. For example, I paid $100 to guarantee a top load on the trailer but Sherpa tells me, as the broker, there is absolutely no way to guarantee that. He said they could request it but it's up to the driver and their route/loads ultimately.

So, if you want your vehicle within a specific time frame, you'll need to pay more to make it happen. The cheapest option isn't going to work unless you have some time on your hands. Sherpa adjusts their quote based on what you tell them. So, if I wanted my car picked up on Monday, they can see what the highest paying job is right now and then they would put my job out higher than that, to make it attractive and give it the best chance of being picked up right away.
Thanks for the heads up with road runner. I was going to use them to move the Hellcats to Tennesse.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #178
Thanks for the heads up with road runner. I was going to use them to move the Hellcats to Tennesse.
Both of those companies I mentioned are brokers that just find the carrier for your vehicle, so obviously they charge a little more for the service.

When the guy dropped my car off, he said I could’ve gone to him directly and saved a few bucks. It was worth it to me to pay someone else to deal with it though haha, was very happy with Sherpa’s customer service.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Both of those companies I mentioned are brokers that just find the carrier for your vehicle, so obviously they charge a little more for the service.

When the guy dropped my car off, he said I could’ve gone to him directly and saved a few bucks. It was worth it to me to pay someone else to deal with it though haha, was very happy with Sherpa’s customer service.
Thanks for sharing that and congratulations on the Hellcat.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #180
Ok, question for you M6 guys - do you find the shifting consistent and smooth? Not talking about the clutch engagement point, talking about shifting into gear.

Everytime I shift, it feels different. No grinding or anything but sometimes a shift into 4th is super smooth, sometimes it’s a bit notchy and requires more effort than I’d expect. Does this in most gears.

Im fairly certain this is the original trans fluid in there and while it’s only 20k miles, it’s also 6 years old now. I’ve read up and heard about better fluid making the shifts smoother, so that’ll probably be my next task.

It’s entirely possible I’m just being overly critical…