Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Picking up a M6 Hellcat

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Mine did not come with the skip shit. Had those with the vetts and 1st thing I did was to purchase the fitting to bypass that crap. Fool econo me my ass. We or me didn't purchase this car for the fuel econo me. If you drive a M6 this is a pain in the ass. I usually auto, skip 2nd any way. But 1st to 4th,, awful crap. Worst thing for this car. I can scoot around town in 3rd gear, but 4th is dowging it.

CPRHDSRT

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fork
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 HC Challenger
Congrats on the M6 score. Enjoy the smiles per gallon in that gorgeous beast.

No CDV yank or skip shift bypass for me yet but I do recommend changing out the factory fluid with the TREMEC HP MTF. 20200314_100828.jpg 20200314_110719.jpg

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #123
Congrats on the M6 score. Enjoy the smiles per gallon in that TorRed beast.

No CDV yank or skip shift bypass for me yet but I do recommend changing out the factory fluid with the TREMEC HP MTF. View attachment 61658 View attachment 61659
Thanks! It’s actually Redline but hard to tell in pics sometimes.

Did changing the fluid quiet down the gearbox? That was the first thing I thought about but I’m pretty sure I’m hearing the throw out bearing. Difficult to believe the throw out bearing would be bad after 4 years and 21k miles though.

CPRHDSRT

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fork
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 HC Challenger
Ya just corrected my post while you were typing as I wasn't sure.

The TREMEC fluid is definitely noticeable in "feel". More buttery shifts I guess you could say. Didn't notice any noise delta but mine was very quiet before.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I’ve got some 9.5” oem brass monkey’s I’ll let go for next to nothing + shipping. They need to be redone though (2 for sure) from curb rash. I’m needing to clean out my garage🙄

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
^ Now there’s a score! Get another pair of 11in. repro’s for the rear and have them all refinished together!

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
If i recall, the block from 1>2 only happens in a very tight rpm range...like 1800-2000. I don't stand on it til the temps up, but still can't recall the block except maybe once in 3 yrs.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Throw out bearings bad at that early?? I could tell by listening but not this far away. Maybe changing gears with out the clutch. Now, if you know how to do that,,, you are seasoned shifter. Learned that in my teens. Have not tried in 20 years and have not had to. But, read the tack and can be done. Bearings??? Ouch. Open up the casings and no telling what will happen. Cracking an egg.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #129
Throw out bearings bad at that early?? I could tell by listening but not this far away. Maybe changing gears with out the clutch. Now, if you know how to do that,,, you are seasoned shifter. Learned that in my teens. Have not tried in 20 years and have not had to. But, read the tack and can be done. Bearings??? Ouch. Open up the casings and no telling what will happen. Cracking an egg.
Yeah it’s definitely the throw out bearing I’m hearing. I may just be hyper sensitive to it though and I only hear it at slow speeds when engaging/disengaging in the 1-2 shift.

It doesn’t sound bad, I can just hear it, maybe I’ll just make a piece of insulate to mount below the shifter boot when I install the Barton.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Is it a whining sound? You should know the sound, but how is or waz the Barton working out. Or is it just now out. I waz thinking while I am down of modifications. I am going to order the chiller for the intake cause the 90 plus degrees will be here in 2 months. Constant for 7 months. I have done some reading up on the fine tuning. A tuners dream is to have constant prematers of a field of temps to tune to. Timing would be in the areas of what the chiller gives the engine with in a 15 degree temp insted of guessing between frozen and desert. The timing wood be with in a 15 degree start insted of having to guess and add or subtrack. Retard or add to. I have tuned my cars in the past but not to the extreme of this HP and wood like to give a tuner the best situation and help before dynos. This wood help by 80%.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Yep I really like that color :)

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #133

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
might be worth it to have the dealer check it out, my M6 with 10000 miles was extremely hard to shift from 4th to 5th under hard acceleration, Dodge replaced the transmission no questions asked.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #135
might be worth it to have the dealer check it out, my M6 with 10000 miles was extremely hard to shift from 4th to 5th under hard acceleration, Dodge replaced the transmission no questions asked.
Yeah I’m going to get the car up in the air and take a look at everything (just to make sure there are no surprises) and then I’ll likely take it to the dealer and let them take a look. It still has some powertrain warranty on it, I’d assume that’d be covered.

It makes the most noise when I’m at a stop with the car in neutral and my foot off the clutch pedal. The minute I engage the clutch, the sound goes away, that’s why I’m assuming it’s a throw out bearing.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Well she made it safe and sound. Pretty dirty but it’s only 20 degrees right now, so I’m going to wait until after lunch to go wash it.

After that, I’m gonna throw it up on the Quickjack and go through it, make sure it didn’t get tagged or something on the way here.

View attachment 61643
Nice, but I want to see where you park the F16 :LOL:

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #137
Well after popping the trunk and looking at the stock parts the seller sent with the car (which I thought was just the intake), the stock shifter is in there.

He said he had installed a Hurst shift knob, turns out he installed a complete Hurst shifter assembly.

@mopar madness hooked me up with a Barton, so I’m going to install that and see if somehow the Hurst shifter is causing more noise/vibration than it should be.

Also surprised at how cheap the factory shift boot feels, might look around for a nice aftermarket one as well.

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
Yeah I’m going to get the car up in the air and take a look at everything (just to make sure there are no surprises) and then I’ll likely take it to the dealer and let them take a look. It still has some powertrain warranty on it, I’d assume that’d be covered.

It makes the most noise when I’m at a stop with the car in neutral and my foot off the clutch pedal. The minute I engage the clutch, the sound goes away, that’s why I’m assuming it’s a throw out bearing.
Well after popping the trunk and looking at the stock parts the seller sent with the car (which I thought was just the intake), the stock shifter is in there.

He said he had installed a Hurst shift knob, turns out he installed a complete Hurst shifter assembly.

@mopar madness hooked me up with a Barton, so I’m going to install that and see if somehow the Hurst shifter is causing more noise/vibration than it should be.

Also surprised at how cheap the factory shift boot feels, might look around for a nice aftermarket one as well.
one of my workmates has an R/T with the Hurst Shifter and he said his doesn't make any unusual noises but who knows

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #139
one of my workmates has an R/T with the Hurst Shifter and he said his doesn't make any unusual noises but who knows
Thanks for that info. I’m swapping it for the Barton anyways, so we’ll see. I’m 99% sure it’s the bearing though, which I’m hoping Dodge will cover under warranty.

If not, no big deal. I’ll live with it for a bit (not my daily driver) and pull the transmission when it gets warm haha.

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Maybe this will surprise some, but being that I like to get my fingers in everything, I helped a bit with the development of the Barton.

(From afar mind you)