Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Picking up a M6 Hellcat

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Well, I’m buying another Hellcat and I’m determined to get a six speed this time. My last Hellcat was an A8 and I liked it enough but miss the experience of a manual transmission.

Anything problematic with them? Haven’t heard of issues other than I’m sure the clutch won’t last long if you beat on it all the time.

Won’t be my daily and traffic won’t be an issue, any other considerations? What about resale? Not as desired as the A8 I assume.

Never driven one either, any comments on driveability with stock clutch and flywheel?

Last edited:

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Only thing I've heard is clutch does not hold up and it's slower.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
:cool:

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
M6=big fun!!!!
Common and worthwhile upgrades Ive done include cdv removal, Barton shifter to replace mushy stock crap, and skip shift eliminator. Factory clutch fine in my experience but I dont beat my car either. Piece of mind upgrades include a Wiles 1 piece 4” d/s and Demon/RE 1/2 shafts. Performance DIRS and AAD rear suspension pieces to keep diff from moving around and breaking. Cradle Lockout bushings done as well, again to help minimize wheel hop and broken parts. Good luck with the search. Post pics.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I've said this before, but the 6th-3rd shift on the freeway is great fun!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
The 3.90 gears are also a nice upgrade.

They take away 60mph in first, but make the overall ratio better and I gained a little bit in the Standing Mile.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I've said this before, but the 6th-3rd shift on the freeway is great fun!
No matter how good the Barton is I still hate that 4-5 shift. 2-3 is a piece of cake!

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
sigh.
Gloating does not become you.....

Well, actually, it does...

:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #9
I’ve actually already found the car and we’ve agreed upon a fair price. Sounds like it’s a done deal but the seller wants a day to make sure he is ready to sell.

It’s across the country and I’ll ask the seller to drop it off at Dodge for a pre-purchase inspection that I’ll pay for. Other than that, what’s the best way to safely make this transaction happen? Anyone ever use an online escrow service?

I’ve seen plenty of pics and as long as the inspection comes back good I’ll likely just wire money and arrange shipping. Any recommendations on shipping companies?

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Sorry, can’t help you with that. I flew from NY to Indy for mine but bought from a dealership. After my inspection, a heavy cash down payment and a little financing talk for the balance I drove it home a few hrs. later. I knew the original owner and it only had 650 miles on it when I drove off. Good luck.

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Well, I’m buying another Hellcat and I’m determined to get a six speed this time. My last Hellcat was an A8 and I liked it enough but miss the experience of a manual transmission.

Anything problematic with them? Haven’t heard of issues other than I’m sure the clutch won’t last long if you beat on it all the time.

Won’t be my daily and traffic won’t be an issue, any other considerations? What about resale? Not as desired as the A8 I assume.

Never driven one either, any comments on driveability with stick clutch and flywheel?
Which year is it? I believe the clutch pedal was called "Baby Elephant" from 2015-2017 since the pedal is pretty stiff (compared to modern cars). At least in my 2017, the pedal is definitely stiff and shorter travel than any other manual I've driven. I had to move my Viper around over the weekend, and haven't driven it in a couple of months. When I went to pushed the clutch pedal, I thought it was broke. It felt so damn soft when compared to my Hellcat.

Definitely not a deal breaker by any means...might just take some time getting used to.

And as Old Mopar mentioned, the CDV delete is 100% a must, if it wasn't done already. When I got mine with the CDV still intact, it actually had me questioning my purchase. It literally makes the car have an inconsistent engagement point. Say you're making a right hand turn with traffic coming...the engagement point can be different than where you thought it would be and you can either stall or essentially dump the clutch and be sideways. The second I pulled the F'r out, it was a dramatic difference.

Honestly, I just love driving this car in manual. It's a real nice experience. Every time I drive it, I truly affirm how happy I was not to get an A8.

I'm pretty sure I have a stock shifter, and have zero problems with it. I've never missed a shift and seems pretty crisp to me. Old Mopar, we have to link up one day...I'd love to feel how the Barton is. Everyone says it's great, but I'm definitely not unhappy with what I have.

Also, I think resale may actually go up on these, since you can't order a manual any more. There are lot's of people waiting...but Dodge still claims they have some emission issue with the M6. Don't know how true that is, but if they don't make any more manuals, than I see them keeping their value. Hardcore manual guys like myself would pay extra just to have a manual.

Good luck!

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
^ agree 100% on all points. Plus my other muscle car is an auto so I needed the M6. I’ll swap cars for a bit so you can check it out, but you’re going to need to ante up with that Viper! I’m on LI, in NY if you’re local. We can set it up for the spring when my summer tires go back on. Cold roads with cold Pirelli A/S junk tires make for a slippery ride at the top of the 1 and 2nd gears!

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
^ agree 100% on all points. Plus my other muscle car is an auto so I needed the M6. I’ll swap cars for a bit so you can check it out, but you’re going to need to ante up with that Viper! I’m on LI, in NY if you’re local. We can set it up for the spring when my summer tires go back on. Cold roads with cold Pirelli A/S junk tires make for a slippery ride at the top of the 1 and 2nd gears!
Yea, that'd be awesome. I'm on the most eastern part of Nassau county. You can drive the Viper...it's nice with 335 Toyo R888R's on the rear. I also have the rollers on that for the Winter.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Nice!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
No matter how good the Barton is I still hate that 4-5 shift. 2-3 is a piece of cake!

Have you done my Barton spring mod from the Wiki to fix that??

; )

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Which year is it? I believe the clutch pedal was called "Baby Elephant" from 2015-2017 since the pedal is pretty stiff (compared to modern cars). ...
I don't find the clutch in my '16 to be very stiff at all, and I'm a skinny old guy. Seems normal to me.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
M6 has a cool factor imo and definitely a blast to drive. I think they are more sought after now than they ever were. It will take some practice launching and getting used to the gearing. So far my stock clutch has held up, but I expect to change it soon as I'll be visiting the track more often. I would say Barton is a must, but never driven one without so I can't compare. Good Luck :cool:

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Have you done my Barton spring mod from the Wiki to fix that??

; )
Saw the mod but didn't want to screw with it prior to install especially since I bought it used. If I ever have to take it out Ill do it.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States