Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

E85 questions

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
43C30AA4-B8E9-4CA3-BEC1-DD8B9555FC2B.jpeg I test at the pump every few weeks. I’ve been very lucky. E-85-90 every time.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I've got alcohol % as a PID in HPTuners and it always shows 0% even though it's supposed to be E10. Shrug

HellcatMatt

Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
View attachment 3434 I test at the pump every few weeks. I’ve been very lucky. E-85-90 every time.
Just gotta be a little careful. I’ve found multiple brands of testers generally run a little high. As much as 8-10% in fact. My Quick Fuel tester would consistently run about 8pts high compared to what one of my others does. It’s one my local dyno shop sells and it’s spot on with HPTuners.

Your fuel is still testing high enough not to matter but just in case you weren’t aware, they can be a little off.

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
Gilbert
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Little out of left field. When you run E85 does it burn so much cleaner (even though your burning more fuel) you'll pass emissions even without cats?
Emissions tests will require the cats because it would need the o2s in a ready state when they plug it in, and they will also need to be there for visual inspection. As far as how clean it burns, I've never heard that before.

Put an ethanol content gauge in your car. Sensor hooks right in your fuel line. That way you mow exactly what’s going into your engine.
We've been told that putting a sensor on a stock HC fuel system is a bad idea.

On E58 I gained 50whp exactly with NO pulley change on my CTS-V.
Still worth it to switch. A flex tune is the way to go.
Was that in addition to a tune?
I don't want people to think that they can just jump into e58 without doing anything else and see incredible gains as a result.

OP
TMAC

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #26
I found an old thread from late 2016. Apparently, Arizona has been E54 since then. Of course, the actual tested values are all over the place. From as low as 50, to over 70. I'm out. Bunch of BS.
There is a station by Wild Horse Pass dragstrip (maybe 20 min from me) that sells 100 octane unleaded at the pump. Its pricey, but I don't daily drive. If I do decide to switch fuels, it would be to that.
Thanks for all the input, but the ethanol fuels are NOT for me.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I agree. Just buy the race gas.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Not happy about having to test. Seems like a messy process. Fuel on the hands, smelly items in the trunk, etc.
Looking into a test kit to see how that's done. But my interest level in making this change has definitely declined.
What pulley are you planning to run?

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Let me see if I can make some sense of this. If “flex fuel” in Arizona is a regulated 54% then that is as reliable as the 91 octane rating in their premium pump gas. Arizona is saying that that is what is going to be in those pumps year round and it is not going to vary. Remember that you can not test pump gas to see what you’re getting. 91 octane? There have been cases when it was not. So the question is.... what’s better if you are just going to trust what’s coming outta the pump. E54 or 91? If you want to make more power... talk to a knowledgeable ethanol tuner about what he can do with the e54 vs a 91 pump tune. I’m going to bet that he’ll tell you that you can safely make much more power on the e54 than 91. If you already have the pumps to deliver the volume and you change to the bigger injectors then you can either do a flex tune or two separate e tunes. One for 54 and one for 85. You can buy Torco 85 by the drum or fill jugs for the occasion you want to go to the track. My shop there in Phoenix sells it for around $6 a gallon.
Yep, I'd take E54 over 91 of 93 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Not true about AZ. Maricopa county is 54 percent plus. Pima county and pinal county are 85 percent alcohol summer or winter. I have tested it multiple seasons.

OP
TMAC

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #31
What pulley are you planning to run?
Currently just a +10% lower, but also have the Demon supercharger. We think with the other mods it should be around 15#.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Currently just a +10% lower, but also have the Demon supercharger. We think with the other mods it should be around 15#.
No reason not to use E85 then, even if its only 54%. That's a solid 30-40hp gain and zero chance of knock so there's a huge safety factor there. Get Curt Dusterhoff to tune it with a flex tune and you won't ever have to worry about testing your fuel with that setup.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I've got alcohol % as a PID in HPTuners and it always shows 0% even though it's supposed to be E10. Shrug
Mine shows 85% most of the time when I'm using E85 although I've seen it go down to 72%. I've experimented with 93 and E85 blends and seen the alcohol content change also.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Mine shows 85% most of the time when I'm using E85 although I've seen it go down to 72%. I've experimented with 93 and E85 blends and seen the alcohol content change also.
I've been as low as 10 and as high as 90. Depends on what I have in the tank.

It will always read zero unless you are on a flex fuel enabled tune.

My E85 kill tune does not read Alcohol percentage at all. My flex tune is pretty dead nuts with my quickfuel tester.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Emissions tests will require the cats because it would need the o2s in a ready state when they plug it in, and they will also need to be there for visual inspection. As far as how clean it burns, I've never heard that before.
Visual yes. The rest can be worked around easily enough...but of course..."off road use only"...

We've been told that putting a sensor on a stock HC fuel system is a bad idea.
Precisely. Because I believe they mount it between the rails where it can starve one bank of fuel. No bueno.

Was that in addition to a tune?
I don't want people to think that they can just jump into e58 without doing anything else and see incredible gains as a result.
That is after proper flex fuel tuning.

The timing started to ramp in around E25 IIRC and was all in by E50. There is little to be gained going from 50 to 85 as compared to 10 to 50 for the average person.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Between those 2 wood sum it up to me. Tune the damn thing for E85 or me for 93,,, but in my case. Do not believe wat the #s say on the pump. 110 octane was 110, but leaded fuel. Jerks could have cost me $8,200 in warranty and at least $18,000 in fixies. Car has been in the shop more than the road. Dealership and Chrysler rep took great care of my and fuel stations stupidity. I was on the edge of a law suit against the fuel station. Pinellas Park, Fl,, Park Blvd and 49th st. Not to give out too muc info,,, ha. Jack asses.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thanks for the reply. I've just heard a lot info about E85 (don't know how reliable info is) and have never played with it. I've also heard that besides questionable or reliable content, on a long term basis it washes down the cylinder walls and causes excessive wear. The MDS LS motors were dropping lifters at @70,000 miles and it was reported to be an inherent LS prob with that system, but some have said that was only happening in the mid west where a lot of guys were running alcohol based fuels long term that were diluting the oil. DK it just seems there are a lot of "issues". Anyone on here used it long term on a mostly daily driver?

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
13000 miles in one yr. AZ e85. Tim Barth. No flex tune for me. Deep 9 second car with traction.

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
23 degrees timing. We run her rich. .78 lambda. High 10s on dash afr. Even in 110 degree heat no kr. Just has to be tuned correctly.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thanks for the reply. I've just heard a lot info about E85 (don't know how reliable info is) and have never played with it. I've also heard that besides questionable or reliable content, on a long term basis it washes down the cylinder walls and causes excessive wear. The MDS LS motors were dropping lifters at @70,000 miles and it was reported to be an inherent LS prob with that system, but some have said that was only happening in the mid west where a lot of guys were running alcohol based fuels long term that were diluting the oil. DK it just seems there are a lot of "issues". Anyone on here used it long term on a mostly daily driver?
The MDS (or DoD/AFM actually) LS motors would drop lifters whenever they felt like it because the lifters themselves are garbage. The first thing anyone should do is at least tune out the DoD if not outright delete it. My GXP LS4 got exactly 1 more mpg with it. Not worth it.

And yes...to an extent the ethanol based fuel screw with the oil. It is recommended to reduce your oil change interval when on E...I usually stick to 3k miles. Ford recommends 5k. GM I don't believe has a specific recommendation other than following the OLM and for Severe duty applications.