Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Challenger ACR coming?

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
More than you might think i’d bet. I think the difference is multi faceted. Back then a Dodge approaching $100k was a long shot. Yes even a Viper. Now? Not as much thanks to the Demon and the RE msrp’s. Also I think people had a hard time relating to such a narrowly focused car without all the modern conveniences and really couldn’t picture themselves driving for a latte in one. Especially without an automatic.
The allure of the Demon, even the Hellcat, is that you can hit 10’s (and below) and drive home with a/c on while streaming opera and sipping a coffee while the nav gets you home - in an automatic. It’s far more relatable to most people imo. The Viper being better than most but a crappy street ride isn’t a recipe for sustainable sales volume to the masses imo.
A Challenger ACR may not break any sales records but I think it would appeal to more people, and yeah a lot of posers like me, especially if were a limited numbered run. Hell if you limit and number pencils they’ll sell out.
ESPECIALLY since it fits a final hoop for the long-standing challenger line to jump through (track-specific ultra version).....also nice way to celebrate 50 yrs and end the challenger line (before the next generation)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Just quoting the article posted...
"Also don't be surprised if production and availability of the Challenger ACR is restricted, as the Demon was limited to 3,300 units and was only sold for the 2018 model year. It would make sense, then, for the Challenger ACR to only be sold in 2020 to mark the muscle car's 50th anniversary."

Translation: High ADM's on top of the high MSRP, only the elite can afford it.
Well it sure aint gonna be an Obamma phone that's for sure...

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I don't think they can get the weight of the Challenger down by 500lbs without a new chassis. Carbon fiber body panels and gutting everything out of the car might get close but that would be extremely cost prohibitive.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I don't think they can get the weight of the Challenger down by 500lbs without a new chassis. Carbon fiber body panels and gutting everything out of the car might get close but that would be extremely cost prohibitive.
an aluminum powerplant has to be close to 200lbs..wouldnt you think?..so lets say another 100 lbs elsewhere (maybe)..depending on where it comes from it may have a profound effect on handling..im no engineer...but I don't believe they are gonna bring a track purpose car to market knowing that its the third possibly forth best choice for the consumer...that's not gonna happen...If we see it...it will be the big dog...how they do it...we can only speculate.....hey does this mean Christmas is on again???

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I think something like a Viper seat would shave some weight.
Carbon fiber wheels are becoming commonplace.

I don’t think they need to sell big numbers to offset anything. I do believe that old guys with money will want it because it’s cool and maybe some of them will even race it, but it won’t have the mass appeal that the Demon had. Drag racing is readily accessible for everyone.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Two words: Crash. Standards.

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
Just quoting the article posted...
"Also don't be surprised if production and availability of the Challenger ACR is restricted, as the Demon was limited to 3,300 units and was only sold for the 2018 model year. It would make sense, then, for the Challenger ACR to only be sold in 2020 to mark the muscle car's 50th anniversary."

Translation: High ADM's on top of the high MSRP, only the elite can afford it.
We are all Elite!!!! Otherwise you wouldn’t be a member.:LOL::p

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
We are all Elite!!!! Otherwise you wouldn’t be a member.:LOL::p
What's kinda funny is that MSRP is a steal and everyone would buy one but that added ADM? Impossible to afford, elite only!

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
What's kinda funny is that MSRP is a steal and everyone would buy one but that added ADM? Impossible to afford, elite only!
I’m still not convinced there will be an ACR Challenger. Cutting upwards of 500 lbs will be expensive using the current platform. That’s presuming the speculated 500 lbs is in the ballpark. It would be a cool car though.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
They only removed about 200 lbs with the Demon doing everything they thought was feasible. It won't be more for this car.
I still think no ACR but perhaps a TA level track tuned Challenger.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Not sure why this would be something SRT would do. This car is too big and heavy for a road course. Focus on where it can shine, the drag strip and maintain the niche.

My fully loaded 2016 2SS Camaro weighs 3740 with a full tank. Just fighting a frustrating and expensive battle with the Challenger and will still be considered 3rd place in the end which it already is anyway. Seems like a lose lose to me.

I have several friends in to road racing. Most went from Mustangs, to Vettes, and now many have gone to BMWs. Challenger isn't even on the radar. Mention drag strip and Challenger immediately is the choice, Hellcat specifically.

C8 will be the road course go to I suspect.

Last edited:

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
I’m still not convinced there will be an ACR Challenger. Cutting upwards of 500 lbs will be expensive using the current platform. That’s presuming the speculated 500 lbs is in the ballpark. It would be a cool car though.
They could cut the weight but it would be expensive and they would need something else to get people to pony up.
840hp ACR with carbon fiber hood, roof, trunk etc? Limit them to 2,000 units and MSRP at 110k
People were more than willing to pay that amount for Demons. Dodge has to know that.

If they can sell that many Challengers without rebates for 6 figures, im sure Dodge would do it.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
They could cut the weight but it would be expensive and they would need something else to get people to pony up.
840hp ACR with carbon fiber hood, roof, trunk etc? Limit them to 2,000 units and MSRP at 110k
People were more than willing to pay that amount for Demons. Dodge has to know that.

If they can sell that many Challengers without rebates for 6 figures, im sure Dodge would do it.
People wanted a Demon because of a year-long advertising campaign.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Atlanta
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
I’ve always been a huge fan of the ACR viper. The ACR Challenger would be awesome!

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
People wanted a Demon because of a year-long advertising campaign.
People went nuts over 707hp and it didn't take a year of advertising to do it.

Most American car fans want HP. Look around, people are bitching that the C8 Vette only has "500 hp" yet is a drag radial away from running a 10 out of the box.

Demon drops 840hp and everyone goes nuts.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
People went nuts over 707hp and it didn't take a year of advertising to do it.

Most American car fans want HP. Look around, people are bitching that the C8 Vette only has "500 hp" yet is a drag radial away from running a 10 out of the box.

Demon drops 840hp and everyone goes nuts.
The leaks started in April 2014: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...2015-srt-challegner-hellcat-spied-2/?slide=15

Revealed in Aug 2014, order availability first quarter of 2015:
https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/707-hp-2015-dodge-charger-srt-hellcat-revealed-photos

Media testers were out in Aug 2014:

Oct 2014:

Nov 2014:

https://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-review-notes-0

Dec 2014:
https://autoweek.com/gallery/photo/2015-dodge-challenger-hellcat

Jan 2015:

Mar 2015:

Jul 2015, no such thing as bad publicity:
https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/2015-dodge-hellcat-orders-cancelled

Yeah, that's about a year.

Also if it seems like I have waaaaaay too much time on my hands, I am away for work and stuck in a hotel room.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Not sure why this would be something SRT would do. This car is too big and heavy for a road course. Focus on where it can shine, the drag strip and maintain the niche.

My fully loaded 2016 2SS Camaro weighs 3740 with a full tank. Just fighting a frustrating and expensive battle with the Challenger and will still be considered 3rd place in the end which it already is anyway. Seems like a lose lose to me.

I have several friends in to road racing. Most went from Mustangs, to Vettes, and now many have gone to BMWs. Challenger isn't even on the radar. Mention drag strip and Challenger immediately is the choice, Hellcat specifically.

C8 will be the road course go to I suspect.
I always chuckle when things like this are posted. Several of us prove every time that weight is not the disadvantage it is made out to be. With brakes and tires and hp you can overcome most of the disadvantages. All you're really left with is a resistance to change direction called inertia. That hurts in quick switchbacks. That's about it.
Note on the recently published Lightning Lap 2019 the M2 Competition is about 0.1 seconds faster per lap vs a WB Challenger from last year. The new Supra is slower. The BMW M5 Competition at 4400 lbs is in with some very fast company on not a lot of tire. A Miata is about 15 seconds per lap slower.
Watch some of our track videos. If you limit yourself to go kart tracks in our cars then you are just a masochist. Go to courses that let you open it up and you just might be amazed what your car can hang with.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
But I still don't think there will be an ACR Challenger. That would be foolish.

;)

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
The leaks started in April 2014: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...2015-srt-challegner-hellcat-spied-2/?slide=15

Revealed in Aug 2014, order availability first quarter of 2015:
https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/707-hp-2015-dodge-charger-srt-hellcat-revealed-photos

Media testers were out in Aug 2014:

Oct 2014:

Nov 2014:

https://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-review-notes-0

Dec 2014:
https://autoweek.com/gallery/photo/2015-dodge-challenger-hellcat

Jan 2015:

Mar 2015:

Jul 2015, no such thing as bad publicity:
https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/2015-dodge-hellcat-orders-cancelled

Yeah, that's about a year.

Also if it seems like I have waaaaaay too much time on my hands, I am away for work and stuck in a hotel room.
We knew about the supercharged Challenger. It was rumored for awhile before it became true. Even then, the rumors were 600hp some up to 650.
The 707hp didn't drop until July of 2014 and cars started being delivered around September that same year.

Demon leaks on the old site were up the fall of 16 but the huge marketing push didn't start until January of 17. Reveal in April of 17 and dealer ordering opened up in June.

We are looking at it from 2 different sides i think. Carry on.