Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Challenger ACR coming?

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
The public info says the last ACR concept was killed because the lightweight parts made it too expensive. It also had to ride super rough to try to keep up with the Z28.
Since then...
Electronically adjustable shocks
+300 hpwith Redeye
305/35 tires instead of 275/40. The wheel wells will fit a 12in wheel on all 4s with at least a 325 tire as well for a limited production car
A lot of learnings about suspension tuning and aero on these cars from the WB cars as recently mentioned by Jim Wilder at the Charger WB launch.
I can tell you Kevin Wesley has vehicle dynamics engineers helping out his efforts to track these cars. That has to help positive feedback for any production efforts.
On a related note Wesley's Redeye Challenger was about 10 seconds per lap faster than my car as it sits at Road America. I was stunned. He was also 15 mph faster than me on the straights (3 times per lap) with Bilstein coilovers and much wider tires and wheels. He's not just making 797 hp though as he uses Ignite E85. Still, that bodes very well for the potential.
So what's worse 3300 over-priced and over-optioned drag cars that don't get raced or a limited run of over-priced track cars that get parked in a collection because no one has a clue how to use them?

The amount of talent available for a track focused car is even lower than a bunch of newbs in 840hp drag cars... and so is the desire to look like an extreme novice while figuring it out in public. More private track rentals to preserve the fragile egos.

This is why the Viper stopped selling - imagine if it was manually only?! Game over. I am happy to see wild cars built from the factory - but, this is starting to feel like FCA is jumping the shark.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
So what's worse 3300 over-priced and over-optioned drag cars that don't get raced or a limited run of over-priced track cars that get parked in a collection because no one has a clue how to use them?

The amount of talent available for a track focused car is even lower than a bunch of newbs in 840hp drag cars... and so is the desire to look like an extreme novice while figuring it out in public. More private track rentals to preserve the fragile egos.

This is why the Viper stopped selling - imagine if it was manually only?! Game over. I am happy to see wild cars built from the factory - but, this is starting to feel like FCA is jumping the shark.

Don't put too much faith into an article with no background facts. I can't believe how many outlets are running this story.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
This car won't be able to compete against the vette, camaro or mustang unless they can get the Challenger to 4000lbs or less. Also by compete I mean crush them on a track. If it is as fast or just a little faster then those three cars I can't see those boys jumping ship. It would have to annihilate them. If Dodge did find a way to shed that weight and make the car faster then those 3 cars they might as well bring back the Demon package cuse 9.65 will be crushed. I think if they do bring this car out it will be the old it handles amazing on the track....for a Challenger.

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

I think you've got this wrong.

People that frequent drag strips tend to be "vocal" and the sport is more obvious as a result.

I suspect that drivers that frequent road courses are more quiet than 1/4 mile fanatics.

Take HPR for example, I'm just learning that this track was privately funded by the original clubs in the area. They raised all of the money and built the track to fill a gap in the area. There are a lot of very talented drivers out there. I bet they'd love this car (real or not) based on what I see them driving.

https://www.highplainsraceway.com/about-us/the-history-of-hpr/

The Demon is a neat car, but I'd be all over an ACR long before the Demon.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
#chargerACR

One can dream.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Just found this leak on the interwebs...Crazy...they’re looking to cross the Challenger and Gladiator now :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Wouldn't that be more of a HelCamino?

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Wouldn't that be more of a HelCamino?
Similar, but 4WD. Comes with crate, but it has off-road tires and electric tire air pumps. Tow packages are not shown, but optional.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody

People that frequent drag strips tend to be "vocal" and the sport is more obvious as a result.

I suspect that drivers that frequent road courses are more quiet than 1/4 mile fanatics.

Take HPR for example, I'm just learning that this track was privately funded by the original clubs in the area. They raised all of the money and built the track to fill a gap in the area. There are a lot of very talented drivers out there. I bet they'd love this car (real or not) based on what I see them driving.
ps://www.highplainsraceway.com/about-us/the-history-of-hpr/

I'd love it too - if it was left financially accessible and used as intended. That's what grinds my gears, its the same issue with the Demon.

Hey average guy! We built you the ultimate drag car any man could want and priced it accordingly!! Too bad speculators will rob you of your dream!!!

@Markp has it right - either the ACR it sets the world on it's ear again, or it bombs. Meh.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
The ACR has never been about affordability... and road racing isn’t a cheap hobby. They have the right demographic.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

https://www.highplainsraceway.com/about-us/the-history-of-hpr/

Anyone that's says they don't want a Demon just can't afford one.

Sorry, I got flashbacks from the Geico forum.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
A good chunk of the Demon diet wouldn't be appropriate for this car, you want a lot of that capability for the track.

Some of the diet would be in how you ordered it, No HK radio, rear seat delete, etc etc etc.
Carbon fiber panels is the only way (yep significant added cost)

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Yea I know that girl gives me night mares.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Carbon fiber panels is the only way (yep significant added cost)

You know, it's funny, that's twice I've heard and seen that today.

:cool:

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
At the end of the Demon promo there was a question - Now let’s see how you do in the ring? Maybe this has legs.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
@Markp has it right - either the ACR it sets the world on it's ear again, or it bombs. Meh.
And that's why it didn't happen before.
However, it doesn't have to be an ACR. It can be a retuned variant like a TA with available Mopar Performance accessories that push it further. We will see what SEMA brings.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
At the end of the Demon promo there was a question - Now let’s see how you do in the ring? Maybe this has legs.
That's been answered a long time ago. It was not about a Challenger.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Anyone that's says they don't want a Demon just can't afford one.

Sorry I disagree with that. Honestly If both cars were the same price and the same production number I'd take a redeye every time. The HP diff is a technicality. The Redeye will run with a Demon In any real world scenario and is a better all around car. IMO.

Sorry, I got flashbacks from the Geico forum.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
You clearly didnt read my entire post or didnt understand the joke. Bull got it.