Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2.85 hellcat vs redeye?

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
To @Phast Hemi 's point, the logs would give away the secret sauce. He has spent countless hours and thousands of dollars perfecting it - why would he want to make the competition stronger by sharing it? At all of the events we race at there is something at stake worth racing for... why would he want you guys all doing what he does? You'd be where he is if you put in the time and money...
We can collaborate, for the greater good, and I believe he has done that quite a bit, but to ask for the recipe book and get bent when he doesn't give it, isn't reasonable.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I think the Hellcat would win. Both really powerful cars. Only one way to find out!
all I know is my car will beat any bone stock redeye ,OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!

Slipaway16

Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartle Skeet
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Trackhawk
For example, many of you guys would still be running your cars like Fred Flinstone with 15 PSI tire pressure going slow and trapping 5-8mph less without my advice on setting up tire pressure and launch techniques. That information alone has made many run faster.
Where can I find this info?

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Hey Cadbury what's the caramilk secret?

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Chall SRT Hellcat Redeye
A 2.85 Hellcat will best a stock Redeye if properly tuned and both cars on 93 octane. The Redeye tune while really good actually still leaves a bit on the table a custom tune can take advantage of.
Its possible but not a sure thing. The cars will be close enough to where its a drivers race if the redeye is being limited to the stock tune. A stock pullied red-eye with a tune will run away from a 2.85 car. You work with OST... ask Mike what a stock pullied red-eye did to their shop Hellcat at Hemifest. And he runs way more than a 2.85 in that car and he still got gapped. He did pay out when he lost though, which I respect him for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Speedy! said:
You guys wanna all line up same track same day put Challengerfest on your 2020 calendars. Gonna be end of April early May and I should have a date confirmed from the track in a week or so. Great place to see all the different combos run and check them out in person.
Good idea. We can all head down there. I'll wager you, and any other doubter, $5k that my car is what I have said it is. A third party can hold the wager up front. We can go on the scales and you can go all through my car if you wish. Feel free to sling a tape measure across the blower and crank pullies. Gaze upon the plushly appointed 5 seat leather interior with your own eyes as it rolls up to the starting line. You can do it before or after it runs - or both. It will be easy money for me. Bring a 2.85 car or the moon-boosted OST shop hellcat again and we can run for another wager. While I'm there, I'll gladly help other members of the group who show up with their cars- as I have always done. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Crap, I always mess up the whole quoting thing. Can an admin please come in here and fix my last 2 posts so they read right. TIA

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
OH HELL ITS A GOOD THINK MY OWNER TIED MY LEASH TO THE FRONT DOOR OR ID BE OFF THE PORCH

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Crap, I always mess up the whole quoting thing. Can an admin please come in here and fix my last 2 posts so they read right. TIA
You need to go to the end of their quote before you type. You're putting your response in front of the end quote tags, they need to be after.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
That's going to be along list there Simon. Lol I had a lot people tell me there was no way I could run 9's on pump gas .... Because if they couldn't do it then there was no I could do it!

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
MAY
You need to go to the end of their quote before you type. You're putting your response in front of the end quote tags, they need to be after.
MAYBE PHAST HEMI ISNT SO FAST ,

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
I was trying to get fancy and reply in between pieces of the reply comment. didnt work too well

OP
Hemiride

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #153
I guess no body read or believed my post of first hand experience to the threads direct question? A 2.85 HC verse a stock Redeye?? This is a M6 doing Stock Redeye 1/4 times on street DR’s, no suspension work and from a highway cruising speed of 65 where a Redeye came up alongside me, side to side, stomped on it, my front bumper by his door, I shifted from 6th to 3rd and floored it and was side to side then him on my rear bumper by 150. Didn’t that answer the threads title and question? I can only assume the Redeye was stock, guy got off the next exit, never saw the car again to ask.
As the thread starter
Yes that answers my question. Thank you

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
A redeye doesnt weigh any more than a hellcat with the same equipment. A 2.85 car should make the same boost as a stock pullied redeye. All other things being equal, you would haveto shift the 2.85 car above 6300 rpm for it to have any type of advantage.
Stock for stock it does based on the heavier, wider wheels/tires and the chiller. I believe its roughly about 60lbs or so. Now if you're running skinnies in the front and custom wheels on the back with drag radials in track form, I'm sure the weight difference is much closer.

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Stock for stock it does based on the heavier, wider wheels/tires and the chiller. I believe its roughly about 60lbs or so. Now if you're running skinnies in the front and custom wheels on the back with drag radials in track form, I'm sure the weight difference is much closer.
Narrow body redeyes do not have wider wheels. Chiller weight is negligible.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Narrow body redeyes do not have wider wheels. Chiller weight is negligible.
Oh yea, you're right, I had forgotten about the standard body Redeye. My bad. Most order the widebody though but like I said in my original post, the weight difference was minimal anyway.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Wouldn't they be called "regular body" as they did not make them narrower?

OP
Hemiride

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #158
Initially I just wondered how close my 16 kitty would be to a redeye with my planned mod's this spring, which will be a litens 2.85, demon injectors, 180 stat, thermo blanket and blower spacers.
Obviously it will very close. Which is good enough for me. I almost bought a redeye, but for a little over $2000 I will have equal performance. Financially it doesn't make sense to me to put $30,000 plus my car to get equal performance. I only have 6300 miles on it anyway.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Wouldn't they be called "regular body" as they did not make them narrower?

I call them standard body because there's nothing narrow about the standard Hellcat. Its still incredibly wide.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Speedy,

You already asked for my logs in the past and i responded to your request. As a courtesy to my tuner, I would not give them to you. Doesnt mean I don't share- it just means that I dont want to give away all our work. You are welcome to invest thousands of hours (and dollars) racing and testing at tracks all over the country as we have done to obtain the data we have. Because of our testing regiment, our data is second to none. I have shared plenty , both in person at tracks all over, and on these forums. For example, many of you guys would still be running your cars like Fred Flinstone with 15 PSI tire pressure going slow and trapping 5-8mph less without my advice on setting up tire pressure and launch techniques. That information alone has made many run faster.
Logs don't give away much but if Curt asked you not to share that's fair enough. If I really wanted to know I would just ask him. I think some start to take this too seriously. It's not like we race for thousands every weekend lol but to each their own.

Haven't you achieved 10.0's yet?

Indeed. 10.03, 10.04, 10.05 on a broken motor and 93 octane.

Its possible but not a sure thing. The cars will be close enough to where its a drivers race if the redeye is being limited to the stock tune. A stock pullied red-eye with a tune will run away from a 2.85 car. You work with OST... ask Mike what a stock pullied red-eye did to their shop Hellcat at Hemifest. And he runs way more than a 2.85 in that car and he still got gapped. He did pay out when he lost though, which I respect him for.
Mike's shop car is a consistent low 9s car. We're not talking mistakes, issues, or driver error. Make 3 runs and average the times and a 2.85 Hellcat beats the times of a stock Redeye. Hell mine's only on a 2.72 and ran 10.0x 3 times in a row on 93 on a broken motor. 1psi more boost ain't all that much especially tuned for 93 on 10-11 deg.

Good idea. We can all head down there. I'll wager you, and any other doubter, $5k that my car is what I have said it is. A third party can hold the wager up front. We can go on the scales and you can go all through my car if you wish. Feel free to sling a tape measure across the blower and crank pullies. Gaze upon the plushly appointed 5 seat leather interior with your own eyes as it rolls up to the starting line. You can do it before or after it runs - or both. It will be easy money for me. Bring a 2.85 car or the moon-boosted OST shop hellcat again and we can run for another wager. While I'm there, I'll gladly help other members of the group who show up with their cars- as I have always done. :D
I don't care enough honestly. Bring the car and show what ya got, I personally don't care if you never raise the hood. I've been fooling with this platform for over ten years, nothing's really ground breaking anymore.

That's going to be along list there Simon. Lol I had a lot people tell me there was no way I could run 9's on pump gas .... Because if they couldn't do it then there was no I could do it!

I think the difference is you removed all doubt and showed what you've done. You can definitely drive and have simply maximized the setup. Bravo.

I'm personal friends with nearly all the tuners and I have seen tunes from most of them. I've never shared a thing about any of those with anyone and never will, so to be worried about a data log kinda makes me chuckle.

I probably get 4 emails a week with someone asking for my unprofessional opinion on their logs, tune, whatever And I suspect I've saved a motor or two a long the line with my feedback. I can always tell when the tuner is one we all trust and one we haven't heard of lol. Kinda like looking at a Picasso, they'll have a certain style