Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Unlocking the original pcm vs buying unlocked pcm

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Don't burn it up. I want the noodles.

white1

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Prairieville
State
LA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 hellcat charger widebody
Can you upload a better picture of the board and Ramen noodles?
That was the only pic I took. Ill try and remember on the next one

OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #43
I think 2018 and up, I know the 15 and 16’s won’t work.
makes sense, 2018 and newer have that encryption

OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #44
That was the only pic I took. Ill try and remember on the next one
ty interesting how you did this. everything work fine? heard its a hardware mod that needs to be done..

any idea how the bcm knows the pcm was swapped? i was thinking a resistor or something like that

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Question for you PCM gurus.. will a 2017 PCM work in the 15-16 cars. I have a new one (never opened) that is serial numbered for a 2017 Hellcat. It’s been sitting in a box of stuff for a couple years now and this post made me remember I have that. I don’t want to offer it for sale without being sure what it’s going to work with. I understand that 15-16’s are compatible but the 17’s changed the A/F metering. Is this a oddball that will only work with a 2017?

2ndgen

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orem
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I read somewhere that there are multiple computers that track the odometer mileage--and if the PCM ever disagrees with the other copies of the odometer it flags itself as having been modified and throws the code. That thread (I don't have the link, sorry), said that if you're careful and swapped the ecu in with the exact mileage already programmed it won't throw the code.

OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #47
Makes me wonder...

are they model specific as well? Like charger must be charger pcm?

Must it be a hellcat pcm as well?

OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #48
Heard that too
I read somewhere that there are multiple computers that track the odometer mileage--and if the PCM ever disagrees with the other copies of the odometer it flags itself as having been modified and throws the code. That thread (I don't have the link, sorry), said that if you're careful and swapped the ecu in with the exact mileage already programmed it won't throw the code.
Heard that too about they all check eachother

OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #49
Someone should try t
Someone should try this... unless it's a secret 🤷‍♂️

2ndgen

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orem
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I think it was actually a howto thread regarding ordering an unlocked PCM--that you could tell them the mileage to program in, and as long as you didn't move the car before the new one arrived they'd swap cleanly.

OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #51
I think it was actually a howto thread regarding ordering an unlocked PCM--that you could tell them the mileage to program in, and as long as you didn't move the car before the new one arrived they'd swap cleanly.
outstanding

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Still logs a code, anytime pcm is disconnected from the bcm it knows, mileage the same or not. Some tuners say they can reset it but if you smoke an engine and dodge pulls the data from the pcm and bcm, which they will, they will know some thing went on and most likely reject a warranty claim

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
The 15 year cars are in a bad spot. The only compatible PCM is the 15' according to Mopar. 5150872AF as it is known.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
If you worried about a warranty then just don't do it. I spent most of life with older cars so that was never a concern. My '13 mustang I order new had a blower on it less then a year after buying it since that was the plan when I bought the car. I wasn't waiting 5 years to mod my car because RACE CAR!

Blown7

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Woodstock
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Trackhawk

white1

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Prairieville
State
LA
Country
United States
Vehicle
ty interesting how you did this. everything work fine? heard its a hardware mod that needs to be done..

any idea how the bcm knows the pcm was swapped? i was thinking a resistor or something like that
Worked fine
Im not sure how the BCM knows the PCM is swapped, but I do know there is a trigger in the PCM which we disable when we tune

white1

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Prairieville
State
LA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Question for you PCM gurus.. will a 2017 PCM work in the 15-16 cars. I have a new one (never opened) that is serial numbered for a 2017 Hellcat. It’s been sitting in a box of stuff for a couple years now and this post made me remember I have that. I don’t want to offer it for sale without being sure what it’s going to work with. I understand that 15-16’s are compatible but the 17’s changed the A/F metering. Is this a oddball that will only work with a 2017?
I always recommend matching the part number. I know some are interchangeable, but I'm not sure the rhyme or reason behind some working and others not

white1

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Prairieville
State
LA
Country
United States
Vehicle
There is a code triggered when the PCM is swapped, or removed, but I do not believe it has anything to do with communication between modules. Weve had PCM swapped vehicles successfully pass warranty issues

white1

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Prairieville
State
LA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Still logs a code, anytime pcm is disconnected from the bcm it knows, mileage the same or not. Some tuners say they can reset it but if you smoke an engine and dodge pulls the data from the pcm and bcm, which they will, they will know some thing went on and most likely reject a warranty claim
When done properly it will pass. I learned about it while getting my diff warrantied. Took care of it and had the axles swapped recently. More than one guy at the dealership want me to warranty my engine. I just dont feel right doing that, and IF FCA sends an engineer down like what happened to another local guy, they might see my crank pinned. Also Im not wanting a stock engine again

Blown7

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Woodstock
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Trackhawk
On the DTC Codes...it depends on how good you can clean the vehicle system history for warranty.. most chips nowadays log system rewrites...

I had two blown engines back in the initial Diablosport/Westley tuning days.

I had a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

I got it all the system cleaned, that even FCA engineers from Auburn Hills couldn't find a smoking gun....... i was there in person when two powertrain engineers connected CDA..no issues...

BTW at that time i had Chrysler Diagnostic Application software that is used above Star Mobile in Engineering mode. ( I also had that..)

However a District Manager for warranty got me in a closed office and threatened me with.....

We can't tell what you did ...and how you did it .....but we will cover you this last time..but never again. Don't even try....

Now I own a Trackhawk and it's alot harder..but I still can do it.