Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Turning on torque reserve on a 2015 Hellcat.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #21
Fast forward to how this story will end, as what you seek has already been done. The biggest issue is the 28" tall bias ply tire and 2015 do not have the ability to set LC in 100 rpm increments down to 1k. I tested this on a 28" radial on my 16 hellcat. You may be able to get LC to work, but leaving on boost aint gonna happen without smoking the tires or pushing through the beams.
Would prep and PSI make a difference? I run 15PSI on my tires when I get to the track. MIR preps pretty good. I think I might be turning too many knobs at once. I'm going to leave well enough alone till I have more time to tinker with it. I did notice that the Demon tune column's axis and values are more aligned with a 2015 Hellcat Stock Tune than the 2018 oddly. I did try with .25% of the demon numbers and it didn't make much boost. I think that's because these cars don't really start making boost till higher RPMs and if I set it high enough it will just push through the tires.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
As for tips practice is a big one lol.

These cars will typically make max boost as soon as the throttle hits the floor. It's a PD blower after all.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #23
As for tips practice is a big one lol.

These cars will typically make max boost as soon as the throttle hits the floor. It's a PD blower after all.
I don't disagree. Maybe I'm asking for too much. Maybe I should just do the deed and get injectors and a pulley finally. I'm going to shelve this topic as it was fun but I don't want to break anything. I have a DSS drive shaft to test first and look forward to using that while on LC, that way I don't have to worry about shocks to the system. It's always fun to be inside HP Tuners tinkering.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Good on ya for experimenting. It seemed to me if LC worked or there were ways to make it work we'd hear more about it but consensus has been foot brake is the way to go.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Oh, here's a pic of my first attempt using launch control. Bone stock. After this I figured it was a gimmick. I let out when the speedo read 70mph and I was literally doing 20.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #26
Oh, here's a pic of my first attempt using launch control. Bone stock. After this I figured it was a gimmick. I let out when the speedo read 70mph and I was literally doing 20.

I guess im spoiled, track prep where Ingonis decent and I’ve never spun. Also hit my 10.8 using LC. Saw your most recent video, what was the hint you got to make the car leave just right. I’m looking for a better 60ft :)

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Stuff I figure out on my own I share. Stuff a pro tuner tells me about I don't share. I suspect all the professionals know about it though.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Stuff I figure out on my own I share. Stuff a pro tuner tells me about I don't share. I suspect all the professionals know about it though.
Most of the reason I havent shared my file with anyone. Certain public knowledge or parameters yes...but I'm not about to send Curt's work all over the internet. Any question I've ever had he's answered honestly and any required change happens in under 24hrs. Not gonna do him dirty like that.

I may pay up for some track support in the spring so we can get some work accomplished on the short game.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Curt for sure knows how to make tunes for launching the car. He and I talked about it in person at ChallengerFest after Mike set mine up. It's a slick setup and easy to quickly change for conditions. I had been re-writing the timing map in the lower RPMs and this is way easier.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

LC has always been a waste of time, though I have heard some folks say they have gotten good use out of it at the track. I personally feel it is a major failing of the car - it has all the sensors and software to do a top flight, highly reactive, launch control that would lay down good numbers for the conditions 75-80% of the time for any driver (and likely assist those who are already good achieve more consistent results). But its current iteration is almost like it is an after thought. I was a little less offended when the GT500 also turned out (for most users) have have a launch control that was not all that great either.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #31
100% agreee. I share my information cause I'm a newb and want people to stop me from grenading things. Based on the video I thought it was a tire pressure change. Didn't know it was in the tune. Which was also why I asked for the stock tune in all instances, didn't want to steal anyone elses work. Wanted a good starting point to move from.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
No worries. It's a tune setting which kinda surprised me really.

The C8 has obviously figured out launch control. Wish these cars had a system like that.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #33
After doing a post on the HP Tuners forums the bouncing of the wideband is acceptable. Launch control is basically causing misfires to get the desired effect.

swatdocsc

Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jefferson City
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
10,R/T12YJKT,15SPS,16 HC,19RE,22 S/S
I have been doing tests on my 19 RE using LC and since getting the H/O kit I have been logging said test different temps tires road surfaces I'm finding at 1000rpm setting 100% of launches thus far 10+ have been sub 4 sec 0-60 with the bfg g-2 y-rated it was 3.8-9 with the last 2 with the r888rs its been 3.6 3.4 respectively. this newer LC is definitely not the LC I had on my 16. I'll give more results with some other parameters i'm testing mind you these test are not on a preped track just a normal road surface.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Original LC was pure garbage.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
When I get a minute I can compare 2016 to 2020 and see if I can find any differences.

swatdocsc

Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jefferson City
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
10,R/T12YJKT,15SPS,16 HC,19RE,22 S/S
as soon as the new g tech arrives I'm going to make this a bit more scientific.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I have been thinking about playing with the launch control. Did you ever get this to work for you? I have a few settings I want to try but with it being winter I can't do a whole lot of testing.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Yeah it works. Compare to a RE for starters. I've found the process to complicated to use in a race at the track though but might experiment shooting for a PB in the spring.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Yeah it works. Compare to a RE for starters. I've found the process to complicated to use in a race at the track though but might experiment shooting for a PB in the spring.
I’m looking at the demon now for comparison and ideas. I figured it’d get me in the right direction. Glad to hear you got this working.