Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Stellantis strike

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
Well, if you want a union you have to expect to pay the dues (per the scale YOUR union sets) that ALWAYS come with it !!
So zero sympathy on having to pay extra dues on bonuses etc.

Having come from the Detroit area & working for both GM & Chrysler back in the day, I know how all this works.
What I see happening here is a repeat of when the unions bitched long & loud about how awful the paint workers had it (and it was a nasty job) and kept demanding more & more pay etc. Finally got to the point where the Big 3 just broke down & installed robotic paint booths & canned the ppl or relegated them to lesser paying (but far less nasty) line jobs. The ensuing tidal wave of bitching & whining was crazy. Personally had to laugh, workers & unions kicking a fit that the jobs they said were so horrible had been taken away by automation.

IMO contract demands like this are just setting the stage for a large wave of jobs being lost. They are already planning to retool many of these plants + the switch to EV's - it's the perfect storm and excuse they need to significantly pare down the ranks ! Careful what you ask for !!

If you need an example just walk into any newer McD's - take note on just how few ppl actually work there & how much is automated. They can thank the $15/hr min. wage crowd for that !!
They are already doing all of this! Have not replaced any tradesman that have left or retired in over three years. They just keep expecting us to do the same work with h as of the guys, thus the 74 hr work week! I’m not bitching about dues on bonuses I just stating that most people don’t know what the union costs the members!

I also agree that I’ve never worked with so many whiners, for some that is all they do!

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
If you get a 32 hour work week, that is the worst thing ever, a lot of labor laws would not be in effect and you would be considered a part time employee thus any entitlements you have could and probably will be stripped away. 32 hour is 32 hours according to the law, doesn't matter if they pay you for 40.
I personally think that’s the dumbest of the demands! Both sides need to give a little bt the company should make up a little more of what they’ve taken from the workers that was supposed to be temporary!
I am not pro union, absolutely hate unions and have never worked for one until ten years ago but I am pro getting what you’re worth! This is probably why most trades guys/gals have a different work ethic than a lot of the line workers.
I also think some of the demands are there just for leverage as something to give in on!

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
UAW strike won't affect the Challenger and Charger production, Unifor oversee that production. UAW on the other hand would be way worse as they build the Ram 1500, Wagoneer. Wrangler/Gladiator, Grand Cherokee, Durango, Camaro, Corvette, Malibu, GM mid/full size trucks and SUV's, Mustang, Explorer, Expedition, Ranger, F series trucks, etc. UAW strike can wipe out Last Call on the Camaro and TRX.

Unifor holds the cards on the Demon 170 and a strike until December 31st would be very embarrassing for Dodge.
Unifor voted 99% to strike when their contract ends a few days after the UAW and from my understanding both unions are in contact to possibly strike together in solidarity

Last edited:

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Quite frankly my dear, I don't give a ****

I had a feeling the 23's were headed for troubles, I ordered a 22 Challenger Redeye, delivered this past January. I have 930 miles, to date, this should do me for 8 years, when my extended warranty runs out. RIP Dodge...
I also which is why I went ahead and ordered my 22 Super Stock and wasn’t going to even try to get a 23 anything! Very very happy with my SS and I also have the 8 years of extended warranty to hold me over.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Quite frankly my dear, I don't give a ****

I had a feeling the 23's were headed for troubles, I ordered a 22 Challenger Redeye, delivered this past January. I have 930 miles, to date, this should do me for 8 years, when my extended warranty runs out. RIP Dodge...
Drive the darn thing.

Last edited:

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
They are already doing all of this! Have not replaced any tradesman that have left or retired in over three years. They just keep expecting us to do the same work with h as of the guys, thus the 74 hr work week! I’m not bitching about dues on bonuses I just stating that most people don’t know what the union costs the members!

I also agree that I’ve never worked with so many whiners, for some that is all they do!
Maybe I’ll get to see my neighbor once in a while. He’s skilled trades and commutes from Lansing area to Detroit daily. Great guy. Don’t know how he does it.

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Maybe I’ll get to see my neighbor once in a while. He’s skilled trades and commutes from Lansing area to Detroit daily. Great guy. Don’t know how he does it.
My drive is an hour each way after I was laid off from one plant and transferred to another!

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
You’re inferring union members don’t want to work? Union members for the most part are very hard workers and always working! I work an average of 74hrs a week EVERY WEEK!! Plus holidays and shut downs! Plus most union membership is conservative, it’s the actual union “leadership” that are lib nuts with few sprinkled into the general work force!
This is me any more to, 70 hours this week, 60 next week, repeat, repeat, it’s tiring. And a 2-3% raise if that each year, does not keep up in JB’s new USA. The same dollar is 25 cents any more, I hope these guys get what they deserve, a portion of the big wigs pay. No body it worth millions per year while the majority make 80-100k per year working 60-70 hrs per week to make such, time for them to share the profits. I thank God my 16’s paid for, pristine, and puts more to the ground then a D170 as with todays prices it’s looking like it will be the only one I’ll ever own.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

"most people don’t know what the union costs the members!"
That is more my point. I think unions were needed 100 years ago but I don't think they are now. If you make $20 an hour but the company is paying the union $25 for you so they get their $5 then cut out the middle man. I have never worked for union but have heard many stories like if you were to pick trash and it wasn't your job you were not allowed to do that, really

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
"most people don’t know what the union costs the members!"
That is more my point. I think unions were needed 100 years ago but I don't think they are now. If you make $20 an hour but the company is paying the union $25 for you so they get their $5 then cut out the middle man. I have never worked for union but have heard many stories like if you were to pick trash and it wasn't your job you were not allowed to do that, really
I'm in my mid 50's and never worked for a union either and believe me the whole "lines of demarcation" for job duties has gotten me in trouble more than once. I did very well in the outside world because of my work ethic but I had exhausted what companies where willing to pay a decade ago and insurance costs were going up so fast. I was not chasing wages I was chasing insurance for my wife and that is how I ended up here. I still get tired of hearing "that's not my job" but the way the system is set up IS efficient IF you have a group who do what they are supposed to.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I have worked union and non union ass project manager. Upper case. What is dare demandz?? Cost of liven yes, rest what? Cost is past on.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
When I was at CDM I walked by an extension cord and the tape had come up. I bent down to fix it and my handler almost tackled me and said that would have caused a union filed incident and she got on a radio and asked for the electrician to come fix it.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Unifor voted 99% to strike when their contract ends a few days after the UAW and from my understanding both unions are in contact to possibly strike together in solidarity
Even if only 1 of them goes out, I wouldn't want any of the vehicles the other produces during the strike, they will be total trash !

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
When I was working for Chrysler they moved our offices from Southfield to the Warren (ex) tank plant & I lived in Lake Voorheis (Baldwin / I-75 area).
That was a nut buster drive, especially in winter o_O

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The same dollar is 25 cents any more, I hope these guys get what they deserve, a portion of the big wigs pay.
This is the part that's a complete fallacy - the top guys are NEVER going to take a pay cut, nor is the corp. going to 'eat' wage/benefit increases out of profits - they will simply raise the prices of the product to compensate. Again, just look at the prices of fast food as an example. The $$ to fund the silly $15/hr burger flipper crap didn't come out of profits, the cost got passed on to the consumer.

Another thing that happens and never really gets talked about is that salaried employees always get parity (or better) with the union workers, so labor costs go up across the board as the result of any new contract.

RAMBLE1

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
NORTH FLORIDA
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 CHALLENGER HELLCAT TorRed RED / REDEYE
Drive the darn thing.
It's a weekend thing, cruise-in and meeting with the club members. You are correct, we should hit the road more often, the extra 90 hp, over the previous Hellcat, is great!

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
It's a weekend thing, cruise-in and meeting with the club members. You are correct, we should hit the road more often, the extra 90 hp, over the previous Hellcat, is great!
We were out yesterday afternoon hanging in Daytona for a car meet and then out to dinner. It made for a nice evening in Taxi Kat.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
https://flacarshows.com/

You can find some here.

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
When I was at CDM I walked by an extension cord and the tape had come up. I bent down to fix it and my handler almost tackled me and said that would have caused a union filed incident and she got on a radio and asked for the electrician to come fix it.
That is what I have a problem with and still get into trouble because of. I wasn't raised that way and don't function mentally like that. It's broken I need to fix it...period!
When I was working for Chrysler they moved our offices from Southfield to the Warren (ex) tank plant & I lived in Lake Voorheis (Baldwin / I-75 area).
That was a nut buster drive, especially in winter o_O
They don't give a rat's ass about you or your drive, just be there on time, every day! Union shops have a really crap attendance policy to, I don't ever miss work, never have. In 35 years I might have called in two or three times and only been late the dame number of times.

RAMBLE1

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
NORTH FLORIDA
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle