Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Stellantis strike

Bowtie Guy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
The invisible hand doesn't give 2 shits about what you think your worth. The legacy 3 will now react to the higher wages in predictable fashion: outsource, like VW just did with its EV software people, reduce headcount and introduce more automation because the break even on that has been raised. The ONLY reason I point this out is because it would be fucking nice if the unions didn't run the legacy 3 out of business like the HUNDREDS of other extinct previously unionized companies.

In regards to fast food, in CA especially, the breakeven has been drastically raised on robots. I would also bet that most will reclose their dining rooms to further reduce headcount.
I have no issues with people earning good money any way they can
But
Not to many small private companies can support a union in todays times in North America
Its been over 20 years since I seen a Tool shop operate with a union

Most of todays Unions are Government funded in some form
Teachers
Health care / Nurses
Police
Fire
Post office / mail
Auto Manufactures
Etc

My sister is a teacher & we have been down this road enough to know that we do not discuss politics / work any more
Like many here
We agree to disagree

Weather Man

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sauk Rapids
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat Widebody Redeye
I have no issues with people earning good money any way they can
But
Not to many small private companies can support a union in todays times in North America
Its been over 20 years since I seen a Tool shop operate with a union

Most of todays Unions are Government funded in some form
Teachers
Health care / Nurses
Police
Fire
Post office / mail
Auto Manufactures
Etc

My sister is a teacher & we have been down this road enough to know that we do not discuss politics / work any more
Like many here
We agree to disagree
The WI teacher union became so toxic that it got itself gutted by the voters. MN teachers union headed down the same road. Duluth and Minneapolis teacher union retirement benefits got so out of whack they had to be folded into the statewide system, which rendered the statewide system less solvent.

Weather Man

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sauk Rapids
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat Widebody Redeye
Our labor cost in auto is a fraction on the pricing!!! Look it up!
No profit means no profit sharing or dividends = death spiral. Who would want to own this mutt? GM and Stellantis in the same boat.

While in reality, Ford had no other option but to make some concessions to end the ongoing strike, the new deal with the UAW would still leave a material impact on its business. Let’s not forget that its net margins are currently under 4% and under the new deal they would decrease by an additional 60 to 70 basis points as the cost to produce one vehicle is expected to increase by $850 to $950 per vehicle under the new deal. This would certainly make it harder for Ford to significantly improve its bottom-line performance anytime soon.

What’s worse is that the dividends are likely to be affected as well under the new deal. Seeking Alpha’s quant system already gives a grade of ‘F’ to Ford’s dividend safety category as the dividends are likely to be cut in the foreseeable future. The company was already cash flow negative in Q3, and given the potential impact of the new UAW deal on its business, the management would likely be prompted to look for ways to slash dividend expenses as its interest coverage ratio is below 2x.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
The WI teacher union became so toxic that it got itself gutted by the voters. MN teachers union headed down the same road. Duluth and Minneapolis teacher union retirement benefits got so out of whack they had to be folded into the statewide system, which rendered the statewide system less solvent.
This is a highly charged topic....my distribution business has resisted a few attempts by the Teamsters to unionize over the years...I pay my drivers very well..and offer a very lucrative benefit package...I have made it very clear if the union is successful...I will close the doors...there was a time Unions were necessary...unfortunately I have seen first hand Unions lead to the demise of more than a few companies...it's unfortunate..

Bowtie Guy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
They get no sympathy here that s for sure
My Sister gets over 100K a year for 30 hours a week & 3 months off a year

But she does work at home :rolleyes:

Mind you I d last 8 minutes in a class with these little entitled spoiled rotten bastards today

Bowtie Guy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
This is a highly charged topic....my distribution business has resisted a few attempts by the Teamsters to unionize over the years...I pay my drivers very well..and offer a very lucrative benefit package...I have made it very clear if the union is successful...I will close the doors...there was a time Unions were necessary...unfortunately I have seen first hand Unions lead to the demise of more than a few companies...it's unfortunate..
Yes this is always a spirited topic

A friend of mine had a machine shop making aftermarket auto parts
He was an asshole & all the workers talked about a union for months
He told them he would close the doors if they voted for it
They called his bluff
1 week later he sold the contract to a US firm & locked the doors with no notice
I worked across the street & watched all the staff try to get in
Then the union reps showed up
He told them to get the F off the property
Then the cops came
It was interesting

It was shit for the guys that voted down the union but he was unable to remain open without the union
He could have sold the business but he was hell bent on being good for his word & he did

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Yes this is always a spirited topic

A friend of mine had a machine shop making aftermarket auto parts
He was an asshole & all the workers talked about a union for months
He told them he would close the doors if they voted for it
They called his bluff
1 week later he sold the contract to a US firm & locked the doors with no notice
I worked across the street & watched all the staff try to get in
Then the union reps showed up
He told them to get the F off the property
Then the cops came
It was interesting

It was shit for the guys that voted down the union but he was unable to remain open without the union
He could have sold the business but he was hell bent on being good for his word & he did
unfortunate for everybody...

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I have been fortunate to wurk frum both sides of da fence. Gots 2 understand dat the unions are biznescez now. At 1 time thay ALL of em were in it 2 train da man a trade and give the customer a trained persun. Well, summz ware in da time zone. TEAMSTURDS, did snot help at all. Thanks Jimmy. Spankin of dat. Where waz dee only town dat got Jimmy in jail?? I know and bean dare. But, da last of tha dealens I had with local 69, assbestos wurkers, had all these apprentesis payen dues. I had 3 of em and I asked,, didn't they teach you this in school?? Nope. What happened to school 2 to 3 nights a week? Don't have it any more cause the teacher, vice prez, went to jail for embellzement of funds. No teacher. I taught em. They sold a bill of no goods. No moe relations wit em now.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I'm over paid for what I do which means the people around me are way over paid. Bring inflation back down to what it was 20 years ago and I will take a pay cut, slight but a cut;)

Bowtie Guy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
I'm over paid for what I do which means the people around me are way over paid. Bring inflation back down to what it was 20 years ago and I will take a pay cut, slight but a cut;)
You don t hear that too often

You must be a politician

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
It all boils down to FJB administration……………..

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
I don't need a new car or truck, my shits not broke down. I say let them start eating bugs until they come to their senses and go back to work ! You guessed it....... I'm anti-union forever...... They are just another form of welfare. :mad:

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I kinda thought dat da same way when I wurked with my tools. Let my purrformance and my knlowledge wurk furr dem selvezs. If I wuz wurth da $$ whore da $$$$ den pay. If snot ster den dee mote me afta 35 ears of assperance. Let da work show fur it self. I really didn't need sumome pro moten or demoten me 2 extend my use of knlowdgege of whatt I culd do wit my brain, handz, and tools. If ya gots it, show it if snot don't have a show 2 back ya up. I didn't have 2 pay sumone 2 speak fer me.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Uaw…
Then i see this…

Some guy is endorsing the leader of an administration that is forcing buyouts and EV agenda 😂

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle