Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

SRT is DEAD!

OP
BULL

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #221
I'd bet that the weight penalty from adding that motor into the existing housing of the transmission really isn't that bad (compared with a standalone motor).

But, where do you stuff the battery??? And how much will THAT weigh? (Besides too much)

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I would still prefer the hub motors (only way for the fronts) - the cars a porker anyway - even unsprung. And I'd gladly take the weight penalty that larger alternator(s) or other components would require (battery). Which I think would be minimal actually - I only want the hub motors to kick in on launch. Other than that, no need for massive batteries for 300 mile range and what not. Car's not a corner king already; braking is passable; so not a whole lot to lose. Interesting to tune for launch though. 150-200 HP or whatever on each front, launch at wide open throttle, while the ICE would still need to launch like a pedal car.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
I think they could replace the torque converter with an electric motor with no problem at all.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Read something interesting about two of those fantastic electric cars.

A Nissan Leaf apparently can't be parked in under -13 degrees, with a Tesla S the limit is -22.
It said they should be "evacuated", or something to that effect.

I suppose that parking them in a heated garage would work...but then what? Leave them in there until it warms up again?

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Good thing I drive a fast car, volleyball practice is not exactly around the corner:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...-are-coming-suggests-ralph-gilles-156862.html
Truly amazing.
Simply cant keep up with new developments that come out by the minute. Computer tech, CNC machines, (3D printing also coming on strong soon) and more , all add to the stream of products coming out so fast , by the time you bolt it on something bigger and better or more innovative comes along. (Just check the latest gen 5 blower. Lol.). Very surprised co.'s are still doing R and D on the ICE platforms to this level and producing these marvels. It is simply, again...amazing.
Maybe @cole3986 had it right in his quote from the 'Gen 5 whipple supercharger thread', "just enjoy what you have".

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
The electric decrease of functionality in cold weather is not a new thing. Really came to head in the Tesla community about 3 years ago. Very cold temps will reduce battery efficiency / capacity by about 20% because of the increased viscosity of the electrolyte. biggest problem is the reduced ability to charge (you can find the tech part of that easily - I won't waste space here). And without an engine producing heat that can be used for things, you have to use charge from the battery to both heat the battery and the cabin (it's more efficient to do that than try to drive on the cold battery). Best solution - leave the car plugged in and use the remote to start the heating process prior to leaving (so the car can draw off the grid). Similar to starting your ICE to allow it to warm up first. The real solution? continued increase in battery capacity through advancement of technology. Heat is heat.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
The electric decrease of functionality in cold weather is not a new thing.
No, it sure isn't, and now as an owner of older diesels I'm even more aware of the effects.
But, I can use starting fluid, jump starting, or a combination, and get them going. No grid needed, and they'll probably run fine even if it's 50 below.

Wonder how an employer would react if someone calls in and says "I can't come to work this week (or month, or season) because it's too cold for my green machine".
I suspect the employee could be discharged, faster than the car.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
Truly amazing.
Simply cant keep up with new developments that come out by the minute. Computer tech, CNC machines, (3D printing also coming on strong soon) and more , all add to the stream of products coming out so fast , by the time you bolt it on something bigger and better or more innovative comes along. (Just check the latest gen 5 blower. Lol.). Very surprised co.'s are still doing R and D on the ICE platforms to this level and producing these marvels. It is simply, again...amazing.
Maybe @cole3986 had it right in his quote from the 'Gen 5 whipple supercharger thread', "just enjoy what you have".
Brother,

I do believe that, just scoured the universe looking for a new Trackhawk that with very few options, just cannot afford Jeeps because they are just not discounted much. It is for the wife, she deserves it as she has to put up with my sorry ass. I am hearing 2022 emissions requiremen Pick UP.jpg ts might kill the whole line of supercharged V8's, can anyone here confirm or deny? Time to stock up on parts.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Nice! Are those '21 factory wheels?

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
295/45/R20 Pirelli run flats, apparently if the tow package is not ordered, no spare tire, run flats is what you get. Only two options, the wheels and red seatbelts. It had 43 miles, 2020, kinda a no brainer to me since used trackhawks are going for the mid to high 70's and some in the 80's.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
295/45/R20 Pirelli run flats, apparently if the tow package is not ordered, no spare tire, run flats is what you get. Only two options, the wheels and red seatbelts.
Unfortunately you get run flats no matter what. And the spare is available as a standalone option, although with the tow package it costs a lot less.
Now I need to find out what they call those wheels...that's exactly what I want.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
on the sticker is listed as 20 x 10 titanium aluminum wheels, $ 495.00 option

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
I am in the process of stocking up on parts, I think this party is coming to an end sooner than later, I now own all FCA vehicles, yeah, I have become a fan boy but I just love the product, Rams, SRT, etc. No more German cars for me, just get rid of a Audi S6, horrible twin turbo V8 design when it comes to maintenance. Gotta rip half the engine apart to change spark plugs, I am not kidding.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thanks! That's what I ordered, but they are much darker than yours.
Not much lighter in color than the Granite in the foreground (both cars have the "Titanium" wheels). DSCN3398.JPG

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thanks! That's what I ordered, but they are much darker than yours.
Not much lighter in color than the Granite in the foreground (both cars have the "Titanium" wheels). View attachment 39090
Hmm, maybe it is the light.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Love that color on the trackhawk...very nice indeed

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I suspect that they realized that the color was way off, then lightened it up.

I'll dig up a photo of one of ours in the sun and see if they look more like yours. As it is, the aftermarket chrome ones I bought later looks like a better match.

Okay, as you can see, ours are not as light and shiny as yours. First pic is OE, second is aftermarket. DSCN3503.JPG DSCN3660.JPG

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
What year is your trackhawk? I agree, there is a big difference

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I suspect that they realized that the color was way off, then lightened it up.

I'll dig up a photo of one of ours in the sun and see if they look more like yours. As it is, the aftermarket chrome ones I bought later looks like a better match.

Okay, as you can see, ours are not as light and shiny as yours. First pic is OE, second is aftermarket. View attachment 39091 View attachment 39092
Looks much better with the wheels in the second pic

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Both are '20s, with the red one being made very late '19 and the Granite one about three and a half months later.