Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

My New 2023 F150 Rear Diff Was Half Full!?!?!??!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
But of course, this thread is about an F-150 after all.

Don't worry, I'll clean a spoon off and go to the garage tomorrow morning, get the part number (for one brand), so I can feed it to you.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
But of course, this thread is about an F-150 after all.

Don't worry, I'll clean a spoon off and go to the garage tomorrow morning, get the part number (for one brand), so I can feed it to you.
Make sure it’s warm first please?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Make sure it’s warm first please?
Careful what you wish for unholy one...:cautious::cautious:;)

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Alright, looks like the Votex P/N for the diff is DP009. At least that's what I have the most empty bags of.

And don't forget that there are other sources. You could always Google "Google", and once on Google you'll find several.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
Who has the part number or whatever for the magnetic diff plug?
Might want to check with Mike @16GoManGoHC2 on here - he makes some gnarly magnetic plugs that alter the earth's magnetic North o_O - lots of good feedback although I have not used them because I blew my wad on Gold Plugs shortly before I saw he makes his own. Gold Plugs seem pretty good also.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Might want to check with Mike @16GoManGoHC2 on here - he makes some gnarly magnetic plugs that alter the earth's magnetic North o_O - lots of good feedback although I have not used them because I blew my wad on Gold Plugs shortly before I saw he makes his own. Gold Plugs seem pretty good also.
I hear they have the power to suck rings outta the cylinders

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Some of you may remember I tried to buy a Ram 1500 but the 5.7 was eTorque only. I hate anything E, so I passed. I bought a new F150, and I have been disappointed many times. Most problems were minor, but today might be the tipping point.

About 2k mi, I did the first oil change. While I was at it, I checked the diffs and transfer case. Front diff tool a couple oz. Transfer case took maybe 6oz. Not too bad, good thing I checked. Then…

I removed the plug from the rear diff and it looked like it had a lump of black moly grease on it! I’m thinking WTF! I roll out from under the truck and take a look under good light. I wipe it off and I see the fill plug has a magnet staked into it! I never heard of a fill plug with a magnet!!! I wipe off all the goo and proceed to top off the rear diff. I pumped in a pint! Still not full! This is f’d up! I called the dealer, asked them if they could open the diff and check for excessive wear. He said Ford will not pay them to open it up if it’s not making noise! I told them that sucks! Now I’m thinking I maybe should have not bought the truck in the first place!

I filled the diff, took just under a quart, capacity is 2.1, so it was half full. Now I have to wonder, will this fail before the 5/60 is up? My wife drives it about 6k/yr, mostly pulling a horse trailer, so that would be 30k mi when the warranty expires. Since hoping for a failure under warranty is risky, I’m thinking I’ll pull the cover, flush it out and refill with maybe royal purple or something like that.

I would appreciate thoughts and suggestions, especially if they don’t include “that’s what you get from a Ferd!”

Thanks.

This has been picking at the back of my mind for a bit, since I first saw this thread.

I'm not trying to defend them BTW, just trying to think about the problem in real world terms.

Given the roughly spherical shape of a differential housing, and how the volume versus height works out, it is the first portion (~half in your case) of volume that makes the greater change in vertical height of fluid relative to the engagement with the gear set.

Think about it, take a sphere and slice it up (think calculus) in even vertical layers. The very bottom of the sphere has almost zero volume for your first layer, so it's very easy and quick to fill, but the higher you go up in slices, a greater volume of fluid makes a smaller change in height, by the time you get to the center of the sphere, a relatively large volume of fluid makes a relatively small change in height.

(Not relevant to this problem is that one you pass the "equator", the problem reverses and each vertical slice requires less and less fluid for a larger increase in vertical height, when you finallyget to the top and that last bit of sphere requires almost no fluid volume to fill.)

So the point here is that of the two "halves" of your fluid volume, it is the first half of fluid volume that makes the greater vertical fill difference relative to submerging the gearset in oil, the second half makes a relatively small change in vertical height, relative to the gearset, which is what you care about.

Besides the inherent tendency of the ring gear to pick it up and sling it.

NONE of this excuses them not filling it properly BTW!

Check this video out from Gale Banks, just the part of the fluid action, although I like the whole thing, seeing inside and what the fluid really does inside is pretty cool, really showing that the oil goes EVERYWHERE.

Last edited:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
This has been picking at the back of my mind for a bit, since I first saw this thread.

I'm not trying to defend them BTW, just trying to think about the problem in real world terms.

Given the roughly spherical shape of a differential housing, and how the volume versus height works out, it is the first portion (~half in your case) of volume that makes the greater change in vertical height of fluid relative to the engagement with the gear set.

Think about it, take a sphere and slice it up (think calculus) in even vertical layers. The very bottom of the sphere has almost zero volume for your first layer, so it's very easy and quick to fill, but the higher you go up in slices, a greater volume of fluid makes a smaller change in height, by the time you get to the center of the sphere, a relatively large volume of fluid makes a relatively small change in height.

(Not relevant to this problem is that one you pass the "equator", the problem reverses and each vertical slice requires less and less fluid for a larger increase in vertical height, when you finallyget to the top and that last bit of sphere requires almost no fluid volume to fill.)

So the point here is that of the two "halves" of your fluid volume, it is the first half of fluid volume that makes the greater vertical fill difference relative to submerging the gearset in oil, the second half makes a relatively small change in vertical height, relative to the gearset, which is what you care about.

Check this video out from Gale Banks, just the part of the fluid action, although I like the whole thing, seeing inside and what the fluid really does inside is pretty cool, really showing that the oil goes EVERYWHERE.

Awww man..there you go again..:rolleyes:..Tell me..do you ever get like this with the wife...and does she roll her eyes and smack ya in the back of the head...:unsure::unsure:;)

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #31
Awww man..there you go again..:rolleyes:..Tell me..do you ever get like this with the wife...and does she roll her eyes and smack ya in the back of the head...:unsure::unsure:;)
Hey! I resemble that remark!

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #33
I'm not sure about Bull, but I was an engineer (in another life). I know there are at least 2 ways to do anything! As specified by the experts/mfr, and MY way! :)

Last edited:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
demon, are you insinuating that 2nd resembles an intellectual?
Well he's speakin that language again....

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Well he's speakin that language again....
Here I thought that intellectuals don't speak these days. They're busy walking around holding signs at mostly peaceful gatherings.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Here I thought that intellectuals don't speak these days. They're busy walking around holding signs at mostly peaceful gatherings.
sooner or later....(they can't help themselves)..It comes out....it's bottled up inside...most are not of this world...you heard him refer to "his world"....:geek::geek::geek:;)

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
sooner or later....(they can't help themselves)..It comes out....it's bottled up inside...most are not of this world...you heard him refer to "his world"....:geek::geek::geek:;)
His world includes Furds. Sorry, I can't relate to it.

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #39

Agree. I will be probably be ok, it was only 2kmi of light use, the wife and I are very gentle on vehicles. Sucks that the mfr can’t get it right and the dealer doesn’t check or care after the fact. The only reason I bought a new truck is I wanted to get one last non-E V8’s while they were still available in 1/2T. Every year they are more choked out, more expensive and more scarce. I’m going to keep my 2003 Silverado for the time being, at. Which brings up another gripe!

Before I bought the F150, I must have done 20-30 searches (feels like 100) on plowing with the 150. I’ve been plowing my 2000' driveway with the Silverado 1500 for 20 years, figured I’d be able to do the same with the F150… NOT!!!!!!!!!

Before I bought, in addition to the research, I checked with local Boss, Fisher and Meyer dealers, all said no prob with the 150. Come time to buy, Meyer dealer said they no longer make a mount for the 150, I have to get the stupid 2” front trailer hitch POS light duty plow!

The Ferd dealer is a Fisher dealer, checked pricing before buying. Now that I own it, they will not put a 6.5’ plow on it!!!! Only the 6’2” light duty, which means both sides will be rubbing the snow that doesn’t fly over the top!!!.

After that, I decided to keep the old Silverado for plowing and general rough use. Had I known all this up front, I may have not bought it at all. But it is comfortable to drive and the wife likes going to horse events with her new Hawk trailer and F150.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Agree, I figure 2k mi of light use should not be that bad, but still, the factory underfills, the dealer doesn't check or care after the fact, and the only reason I bought a truck in the first place is because Brandon is forcing mfr's to make them worse and more expensive every year!

I'm not sure about Bull, but I was an engineer (in another life). I know there are at least 2 ways to do anything! As specified by the experts/mfr, and MY way! :)
I am willing to bet...he has..at the very least a degree in engineering...