Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Bad OEM Supercharger pulley!

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I see the issue, it's the catch can ! The OE pulley gave up from just being near a non-OEM modification/part!
Don't think they wont pull that. Plus he was at a competition/racing event. I am very interested in the outcome. Def sub' d on this. Sorry that happened @DGatzby .

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #22
Grease cap popped off.
Interesting. Thanks, probably won’t matter. Even us non supercharger old gear heads noticed the 2 Hellcats had the front covered. Mine was not.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #23
Grease cap popped off.
Confirmed. Ding, ding. Speedy that looks like the beginning of the end for that pulley. We are standing around between sessions and being gear heads I found a previous photo of my pulley. I think my “dealer” will take care of it next week. My belt looks like shit, I am going to have that looked at too. The Red Eye has about 5000 miles. I am standing in front of the my old ‘15 that factory weirdo (dyno’ed at 670 and can support the bad ass reading) has one of the black ones that looks brand new at 23k miles. I just drove the sweet old thing around the track for a session in the wet to begin with! We bonded quickly again😉😉 Then it dried out a bit and we flipped to Track Mode. WOW what a difference that mode makes when lapping!

9E055713-DAB2-45A4-85D4-E006A9A78677.png

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
Grease cap popped off.
Good call from afar on DGatzby's car. Where is that and does that happen much? Sounds like might be a quick preflight item.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
So why was it not turning the SC?
Froze up and eating the belt?
And , did you get back to the barn okay?

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #26
It is not coupling up at the pulley is what I hope. It can be driven, I am working with getting my Grand Cherokee back in service or maybe just getting another! That and the trailer are 100 miles away. I have some work to do in the AM because we have some good folks giving me advice and they say park the car.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Dang David, sorry to see. In the end I cannot imagine your dealer not fixing that for you under warranty. I'm really bummed for you because I know you have been building up for that track event for along time. Race cars...

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Isn't there an old saying about boobs or wheels? IMG_3166.JPG

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Belt looks normal. Green turns to shit. Not only did the grease cap fall off, which was the small circle cap, the whole front of the pulley fell off. Car probably isn’t making boost now. The internals failed. Just make sure it doesn’t drive itself into the snout.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Belt looks normal. Green turns to shit. Not only did the grease cap fall off, which was the small circle cap, the whole front of the pulley fell off. Car probably isn’t making boost now. The internals failed. Just make sure it doesn’t drive itself into the snout.
Have you seen one of these fail before?
Mine is throwing grease.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #31
Thanks, for more info, your right mostly no boost, drove it a few miles today to get it loaded up. It is on the trailer doing well. I'll take it to some friendly gentlemen. Looks like a bad one, my engine/computers are all untouched. That green belt has looked like that forever, character I guess.

The screws were working well to the end. After it cooled down the internals of that pulley must have finally bit it and won't engage.

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Have you seen one of these fail before?
Mine is throwing grease.
Not many of the stock factory ones. There have been handfuls of the smaller sized litens that have failed in the exact same way.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #33
Couple of items. An update. My dealer was most good to me last week. I will not lie and told them exactly what I was doing. They insisted that I bring it in for warranty consideration, instead of my plan to fix it at my expense. So this is hopefully the beginning of a good dealer/Dodge story.

Cleaned the car up this weekend, before taking it in this morning. Before leaving home everything was clean and cool, I decided to put it in Track Mode and just observe the chiller circuit etc. I have been ignoring its dirty filthy ass for a couple of weeks while I was trying to figure out the best thing to do here. HOLY SHIT, ever seen those mist fans on hot days? The fans kicked on and they were spraying coolant all over the place! So yes we were smelling antifreeze in the pits and we were puzzled by no coolant being ejected in the overflow line(s), but coolant was laying around the reservoir and showing itself around the motor. Maybe the pulley got some help overheating and failing by slipping belts because another problem was at fault first?? Maybe that cover spiraled off and sliced something? They will figure it out, I am glad I took it in.

Anyway, it probably is not often we can document failures with video and audio. This short clip is from the last session I ran. I am sorry it took so long, but had to do some work for a couple of weeks and drats, had to fork over some cash for new software to cut up those GoPro movies. Then I almost know how to use 2% of the software barely now.

Listen at the beginning for about a half of a lap, I knew something was wrong. Listen to the failing supercharger spinning up and unexpectedly down. Then about 1/2 way around the first lap listen to the difference as it kicks in and yes, we notice! As I listen, close now, much smarter, it may not have been up to 100% either. Not much excitement in the session except the Corvette who had a little problem on lap two. His car was okay. It was his first day, and he was doing great. Maybe too great? We all get to find the limits of our machines from time to time. We passed some cars, but nothing earth shaking. The Challenger did great, it was a blast to drive with my mods and huge rubber, but no way it will shine as it does up here on the high speed tracks. Also, no way I was going all out on that track, it was my first day too!

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Good job,,, running that vette off the track.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #35
Good job,,, running that vette off the track.
He was driving well. You will like this, they call that section of track "The Bitch". It was real tricky.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Couple of items. An update. My dealer was most good to me last week. I will not lie and told them exactly what I was doing. They insisted that I bring it in for warranty consideration, instead of my plan to fix it at my expense. So this is hopefully the beginning of a good dealer/Dodge story.

Cleaned the car up this weekend, before taking it in this morning. Before leaving home everything was clean and cool, I decided to put it in Track Mode and just observe the chiller circuit etc. I have been ignoring its dirty filthy ass for a couple of weeks while I was trying to figure out the best thing to do here. HOLY SHIT, ever seen those mist fans on hot days? The fans kicked on and they were spraying coolant all over the place! So yes we were smelling antifreeze in the pits and we were puzzled by no coolant being ejected in the overflow line(s), but coolant was laying around the reservoir and showing itself around the motor. Maybe the pulley got some help overheating and failing by slipping belts because another problem was at fault first?? Maybe that cover spiraled off and sliced something? They will figure it out, I am glad I took it in.

Anyway, it probably is not often we can document failures with video and audio. This short clip is from the last session I ran. I am sorry it took so long, but had to do some work for a couple of weeks and drats, had to fork over some cash for new software to cut up those GoPro movies. Then I almost know how to use 2% of the software barely now.

Listen at the beginning for about a half of a lap, I knew something was wrong. Listen to the failing supercharger spinning up and unexpectedly down. Then about 1/2 way around the first lap listen to the difference as it kicks in and yes, we notice! As I listen, close now, much smarter, it may not have been up to 100% either. Not much excitement in the session except the Corvette who had a little problem on lap two. His car was okay. It was his first day, and he was doing great. Maybe too great? We all get to find the limits of our machines from time to time. We passed some cars, but nothing earth shaking. The Challenger did great, it was a blast to drive with my mods and huge rubber, but no way it will shine as it does up here on the high speed tracks. Also, no way I was going all out on that track, it was my first day too!

Oh man loved the track video David!!! You were running some really nice lines through those corners, I can only imagine if you have a couple days to really dial a lap time in. Good luck getting back out there ASAP! :)

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Jealous of track!

Is that dealer where you purchased the car?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat

Carving it up good, mesmerizing watching it , I have never done road course racing , just straight line , looks like fun.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #39
Jealous of track!

No but they love my Wife, have taken care of her Jeep for years. We will be purchasing a Jeep from them this spring.

Oh man loved the track video David!!! You were running some really nice lines through those corners, I can only imagine if you have a couple days to really dial a lap time in. Good luck getting back out there ASAP! :)
Thanks guys. It was way different than what we have up here. The speed on their longest straight is slower than the speeds on a couple of the straights that separates the technical corners of BIR! It was challenging to throw the big girl around that much, it would have absolutely sucked without the suspension mods and big rubber. I gave some good lessons in the wet to the guy who bought my '15 Sunday, that was fun too.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #40
Jealous of track!

Take a trip up to Hallett. They are great people there. There was another member with a Charger there Saturday and he was carving it up, he knew the track.