Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Anyone Tow their HC with a 1/2t?

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #21
My 18' (technically 17.5') 10k Featherlite is 1585# I only bought it for when I want an open trailer behind our 40' pusher. My real point though is I towed the road runner all over the place prior to that with a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 and it did well and that was with an older steel 18' tilt trailer. Most modern 1500 should have no issue towing what you want to tow.

View attachment 121419 View attachment 121420
Also great info. WD hitch?

Great car BTW! :)

Keith Richards

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Windsor
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody - 2016 HC 6 -spd
Good info. No WD hitch?
No never on the open, I do run a 24' Pace that I later put behind my 3500 Ram and I do run a W/D on it.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I never ran a wd hitch on the 28' enclosed with the 2500 Ram. It was a very stable pull to me.

Personally I prefer a longer open trailer. The car is located a few feet from the back and doesn't hang over or be at the very back edge.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
Maybe one day I am going to see if this was all marketing hype or actually doable...:sneaky:

1700528184575.jpeg

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Good info. No WD hitch?
Yes I did back then with the stock 1500 suspension. Since then I’ve decided I prefer airbags. I’m towing the car now in a heavy 40’ tag with a 2500. I installed Air Lift Airbags and do not use the WD hitch. Much better.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Well I'm giving you my experience even though you technically asked a different question.

2017 Power Wagon 6.4L 2500 w/ enclosed trailer @ about 10-11k gross.

The reason I think this is applicable to your question is this setup is 3-4k over max towing for this truck, and with the Power Wagons off road suspension, towing was "interesting". Tongue weight was super important (as well as trailer balance).

But it worked well enough, but I'm not sure how many mountain passes I'd want to climb.

Make sure your brakes are in good working order and your brake controller is properly tuned for your trailer. I figured out afterwards that my controller had been set on "medium" instead of "heavy" for weight, brakes were MUCH better when set correctly!

20170901_175144.jpg

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Maybe one day I am going to see if this was all marketing hype or actually doable...:sneaky:

View attachment 121422

Crazy as it is, our DSRT's towing is bigger than our 2500 Power Wagon

8000lbs vs 7000lbs!

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
Not my HC but we used my little baby regular cab 1500 express to pick my wife’s 56 Chevy 3100 up in Kansas and tow it home to NW Ohio (880 miles one way) Did this about 500 miles after I replaced cam and lifters in truck and had 188,000 miles on it. Now it’s right about 200k on it and just did all the suspension and wheel bearings two weeks ago.
Buddies trailer and I think he said it was right around #2000 lbs, it’s all steel with steel diamond plate decking. I’m not sure what truck weighs but it’s all there, body, engine, trans, glass and everything.
IMG_4377.jpeg

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Just don’t use the drop hitch. Either better shocks required or I’ll use a straight hitch next time.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Just don’t use the drop hitch. Either better shocks required or I’ll use a straight hitch next time.
Can you get air bags for it?

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
My two1500 that I tow my cat with. The first was a 3.21 geared truck with 20's, the second has the 3.92 for higher weight limit and 22's.
Either one has been awesome.
No weight distribution hitch and both trucks tow nicely. They do have air suspension so that helps. Screenshot_20231121_123704_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20231121_123601_Gallery.jpg

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
If you have to tow with a 1/2-ton, a good WD hitch is almost necessary, I think.

Adding air springs doesn't do a thing for moving weight to the front axle, and can only help keep the tow vehicle level. That's not my opinion but basic physics.

Having towed with most everything between 1/2-tons and a Peterbilt, and for many hundreds of thousands of miles, I have an idea of what works well. And maybe the most important thing is that the tow vehicle should have a long wheelbase and be heavy. Long and heavy basically rules out a 1/2-ton right away.

Also, I really don't care for those inflated J2807 test numbers that the manufacturers brag about. Instead, I prefer looking at the size of hardware underneath, then ask "How long would this stuff last if pulling X,xxxx lbs.

That BULL's 2500 is rated lower than his Durango should be proof that those ratings are unrealistic.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
Crazy as it is, our DSRT's towing is bigger than our 2500 Power Wagon

8000lbs vs 7000lbs!
I thought Durango SRT and HC are both 8,700 lb capacity? Either way, it is a great number, but then as Jimmy reminded, physics cuts through any and all BS.

Great to see @DGatzby pic's of actually doing it! I was looking to see if Air Lift made bags for our Durango's, and they show their standard 1000 lb rear spring bags fit some Durango models, but have not called them to see which ones. Seem like a good thing to take the edge off the slight sag?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I thought Durango SRT and HC are both 8,700 lb capacity? Either way, it is a great number, but then as Jimmy reminded, physics cuts through any and all BS.

Great to see @DGatzby pic's of actually doing it! I was looking to see if Air Lift made bags for our Durango's, and they show their standard 1000 lb rear spring bags fit some Durango models, but have not called them to see which ones. Seem like a good thing to take the edge off the slight sag?
He might be able to move the car back a little on the trailer to lighten up the tongue weight?

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer

View attachment 121422
Those DPs are only 3500lbs or so.
Trailer about 2k

Should be able to pull that just fine

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
If you have to tow with a 1/2-ton, a good WD hitch is almost necessary, I think.

Adding air springs doesn't do a thing for moving weight to the front axle, and can only help keep the tow vehicle level. That's not my opinion but basic physics.

Having towed with most everything between 1/2-tons and a Peterbilt, and for many hundreds of thousands of miles, I have an idea of what works well. And maybe the most important thing is that the tow vehicle should have a long wheelbase and be heavy. Long and heavy basically rules out a 1/2-ton right away.

Also, I really don't care for those inflated J2807 test numbers that the manufacturers brag about. Instead, I prefer looking at the size of hardware underneath, then ask "How long would this stuff last if pulling X,xxxx lbs.

That BULL's 2500 is rated lower than his Durango should be proof that those ratings are unrealistic.
A Power Wagon, while a 2500, is not really built for towing.
The suspension setup on that truck is built for rock crawling and trail riding. The PW and the Tradesman with the PW suspension are not trucks to buy if you want to tow anything serious.
I looked into them quite a bit with my brother. While he really wanted the PW, it didn't make sense if he wanted to pull both his Jeeps out west.

A Hellcat with an open air 18-20ft trailer is about 6500-7000 lbs. A 1/2 ton could do the job but if you are going to pull the thing all over the place, get the 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
A Power Wagon, while a 2500, is not really built for towing.
The suspension setup on that truck is built for rock crawling and trail riding. The PW and the Tradesman with the PW suspension are not trucks to buy if you want to tow anything serious..
Indeed, much like that a regular 1500 is better suited than a TRX is, even though the TRX is heavier and has stouter parts.

Still, I'd much prefer towing with a Power Wagon than an equally, or higher, rated 1500. It's painfully easy to add anti sway bars and/or make other simple changes to the suspension. Much easier than making a 1500 longer and heavier.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

Sorry, I was generalizing, I think you're correct, the Durango is ~1000lbs more was the point.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I don't run a WD hitch but you may need one if the trailer doesn't track very well.
It's generally not an issue with the trailer not tracking well (unless the tongue weight is too low), but the tow vehicle weaving in front of it due to the extra weight on the rear and the lesser than normal weight on the front.

Less weight up front means reduced braking and steering performance, headlights out of adjustment, and other undesirable things. Besides, the tow rating for a bumper pull is almost always with a WD hitch.There are normally two different ratings for the receiver, and without a WD hitch the rating is usually quite low.

Also, to me the engine is the least important part. All the engine can do is dictate acceleration, speed up steep grades and such. Those factors are nearly meaningless compared to being able to stop, turn, etc. Then again, I don't live in Kansas, so having control going down grades, especially curvy ones, is important to me.