Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Anyone Tow their HC with a 1/2t?

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #41
OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #42
A Hellcat with an open air 18-20ft trailer is about 6500-7000 lbs. A 1/2 ton could do the job but if you are going to pull the thing all over the place, get the 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
Thanks, helpful info. I already have the 1/2t and it is cheaper to beat the crap out of it than trade it. I will be doing 2 trips/year for maybe 2-3 years, 800mi RT. Almost all highway, some long ups and downs, but not mountains.

Steel tilt is 3k, so gvr is close to 8k. Adding WD is way cheaper than buying alum tilt.

I looked at 2 new non-tilt alum 7k trailers about 1500#, but 2 dealers and 1 mfr tried to steer me away from them to tow a 4500# HC. They all said that 6k gvr was “pushing it” with a 7k trailer. This is one of the reasons for my confusion and asking for help. If they simply said “6k gvr is perfectly within our spec and is acceptable for the 7k trailer”, this would have been over before it started. But they didn’t say that, instead they all said. “You should be looking at the 10k!!! WTF!

So their specs apparently mean nothing, therefore I greatly appreciate all the help you guys are providing!

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
You have to look at the axles. 6 lug is what you need if I remember correctly.

There's plenty of cheap ass trailers out there that won't hold up. Pay the extra money and you'll get a higher percentage back when you sell it.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
He might be able to move the car back a little on the trailer to lighten up the tongue weight?
No, that spot is about perfect, it tows very nice. I have towed with a Grand Cherokee remember. I believe there are either Mopar or some after market shocks or springs that make that Durango work.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
They all said that 6k gvr was “pushing it” with a 7k trailer. This is one of the reasons for my confusion and asking for help. If they simply said “6k gvr is perfectly within our spec and is acceptable for the 7k trailer”, this would have been over before it started. But they didn’t say that, instead they all said. “You should be looking at the 10k!!! WTF!
I've learned (the hard way) to stay away from 3,500-lb. axles, but have had good luck with 5,200-lb. axles, the 6-lug version DavidKFla mentioned above.

The increase in cost is very small, and the payback is larger bearings, larger brakes, and what seems to be better axles in general. Yes, there's a higher spring rate to go with them, but a Challenger is heavy enough to make them ride well.

Of course, I'm thinking basic leaf spring suspension here, which I feel is superior to torsion axles, and for a number of reasons.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thinking about buying a trailer that can carry the HC. I have a 2023 F-150 5.0 400/410. I know I should have bought a 3/4t but that ship has sunk.

Other than short local trips, towing would be 1-2 times a year 400mi each way mostly highway to Land Speed Trials. Looking at a 10k tilt trailer, so gvr should be just under 8k with the HC. I would like to avoid a WD hitch if that is reasonable.

I am not looking for recommendations posted on the internet, I am looking for those with actually did it to share their thoughts and experiences. Thanks.

i used my dodge durango 5.7 for five months towing my hellcat every where im sure that 1500 can do it

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #47
i used my dodge durango 5.7 for five months towing my hellcat every where im sure that 1500 can do it
Thanks! How heavy was the trailer?

Did you use a WD hitch?

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #49
To all you guys that have been extremely helpful I wish to express my thanks! I will be re-reading all this and taking notes over the holiday, lots of info to organize and digest.

At this point, I am probably going to rule out an alum trailer for many reasons, so the decision is:

Steel trailer in 7k or 10k. Jimmy N. sure has made a good argument for the 10k!

Tilt or no-tilt. 1000# more and about $2k more.

Next Wed I’m doing a road trip and visit local dealers and some private sales. The better informed I am at that point, the better I will be able to deal.

Thanks for the help!

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #50
Wtf. I can sell you a nice enclosed trailer.
Do you have free shipping for Black Friday? :ROFLMAO:

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Tilt or no-tilt. 1000# more and about $2k more.
I wouldn't even consider a tilt deck. Seems like a lot of extra weight for very little convenience.

An 18-20' flatbed with a 2' dovetail would be my choice. Then get good aluminum ramps (I know where to buy them) in the correct length.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Wtf. I can sell you a nice enclosed trailer.
It would still be sitting in storage doing nothing.

I hardly take the Charger out. But Turkey Rod Run starts tomorrow so it will see some road time this weekend.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I wouldn't even consider a tilt deck. Seems like a lot of extra weight for very little convenience.

An 18-20' flatbed with a 2' dovetail would be my choice. Then get good aluminum ramps (I know where to buy them) in the correct length.
There's tilt decks that tilts with the weight of the car moving back and forth. They seem to work well.

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
It would still be sitting in storage doing nothing.

I hardly take the Charger out. But Turkey Rod Run starts tomorrow so it will see some road time this weekend.
That’s what it’s doing here now. Lol.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
That’s what it’s doing here now. Lol.
You have winter. Race season is happening here.

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #57
Only a 36 hour round trip
So that is a yes! Great! That is very generous of you! I'll even buy a couple beers (the good suuff!) for your effort! :)

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #58

The ramps you mention. do they need race ramps also? That is the issue, when I looked at race ramps, they were about $500!?!?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
The ramps you mention. do they need race ramps also? That is the issue, when I looked at race ramps, they were about $500!?!?
You need a trailer for low cars otherwise you'll be jacking it up to get on and off.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
No, if you get the correct length there's no need for Race Ramps. I have a set for the toy hauler but have yet to use them. They don't like gravel or uneven surfaces.

Look at what Best Aluminum Ramps has available. Their prices are good, and they made a custom set for a trailer of mine at a very good price. Those had to fit in the trailer's stock compartments.I haven't even checked if the ones I generally use with the 18-foot trailer fits in its compartments. It's quicker to strap them down to the front of the deck. Or you could put them in the bed.

Anyway, you're shooting for 10 degrees or less angle on the ramps, and how long they need to be for that depends on trailer height and whether it's a dovetail or not. Oh, and do get the knife edge version of the ramps.