Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2024+ Dodge Charger Daytona "Banshee" - eMuscle and the Future

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
"There's not enough infrastructure to produce" 1.21 gigawatts 😅🤣😅🤣😂.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Gun to the head and have to pick an EV that has been shown/available. I'd go with this Charger.
Best looking EV to date and its not that great looking.

Bar is very low here.

Performance options and such, very interested. Switch it between AWD and RWD will be interesting.
Weight obviously an issue. 5,000lbs sedan?! Yikes. But that is what a Plaid is pushing.

If the wife becomes gung-ho about a daily EV, she's getting this. But shes backed way off that when a Nissan dealer tried taking her to the cleaners over a Leaf many years ago.
The other knock is when she saw a Bolt parked next to a Suburban and the price difference was $3k!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Switch it between AWD and RWD will be interesting.
It wasn't particularly interesting in my Jeep Cherokee XJ. Just pull the lever accordingly.
And even less so in the '14 Ram 1500, where it was done with buttons.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
"There's not enough infrastructure to produce" 1.21 gigawatts 😅🤣😅🤣😂.
Not enough to simply run the AC it seems.

Anguish

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Windsor
State
OH
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I DO NOT like the wheels but that's easy to fix and those probably won't be production anyway.
Yeah, that's a matter of taste. I'm not a fan of them being so big (21") or the center parts but I quite like the outer ring part.

I do like the stagger, rear tires are huge.
Absolutely. 325 all around? Yes, please.

Interior is interesting. No real "buttons" per say but just touch items. Would be cool if they have haptic feed back. The tech will likely be pretty amazing in the instrumentation, but that's a double edged sword since people are already too distracted when driving as it is.
And that's where this crap needs to stop, I think. It looks nice, but haptic feedback isn't enough. There needs to be texture. Every car I've ever driven, I could - and did - adjust things like cabin temperature, defrost, fan speeds... without taking my eye off the road. You can stick an arm out, and find the right controls by feel once you're a little familiar with that particular car. I don't mind the touch interfaces for the locks and windows, but they need some kind of raised ring around them so you can feel for them. Same goes for dash buttons.

As of today "most" electric cars look like complete ass in my opinion. Boring vanilla throw away appliances.
You're not wrong. I get that emotional response to most cars. Euroblobs is what I call them. I get that aerodynamic efficiency is important... to a degree. But when that becomes the most important factor, all cars look the same. This thing at least looks... well, honestly, it looks an awful lot like the current Charger with a Challenger front-end.

I dig that it's AWD and we all know it'll likely have a ton of horse power, although I'll say it now, you'll get some low amount to start and each tier is a higher cost monthly subscription.
Maybe. I know manufacturers want that, but I seriously doubt the North American market will support it for another couple decades. Rich folk buying $300k Astin Martins won't mind coughing up a subscription for don't-ever-use-it features. But blue-jeans-wearing middle-class grunts? Doubt it. I'll pay for performance one time. After that, screw off.

Fake exhaust sound has got to go. That's just lame.
There's got to be an off button for that.

But here's a weird question that occurred to me last night. In the videos of the car moving, there are two noises. There's the "cat roar" noise that is so stupid it pegs the stupid-o-meter. But there's also a weird sci-fi low-pitch background noise. I figure it's probably just sound in the presentation. Like a bunch of monks going "om". But what if that's actually produced by the car? I think I still don't like it if it is, but... I'm not 100% sure I don't.

I find it so odd quite a few people making comments on the socials that "we don't have a choice" when it comes to EV. Of course we do. Are people that brain washed to think there isn't a choice?
You know how removable batteries and earphone jacks are totally a valid choice in smartphones in 2022? That's what is meant by "don't have a choice". You really don't because outside pressures are making your consumer choice statistically irrelevant to manufacturers. That said, sometimes - and I'm not saying this is necessarily one of them - consumers are just too bull-headed to do the right thing. Then we get legally-mandated motorcycle helmets, removal of asbestos, and no more lead paint in kids' toys. Again, I'm not commenting on if the EV/ICE transition is one of those moments, but I hope we can agree that Joe Consumer is the same moron who shops for the cheapest airline seat and then is shocked that the seat is 16" wide and they're not allowed carry-on luggage that doesn't fit in their nostril.

Green energy aside, the US can't save the world's environment on its own.
No, but the US (and every other major country) sure can screw it up on their own. It takes everyone to stop peeing in the pool for it to not be disgusting.

We're also not ready for all EV and won't be in at least the next 20 years. There's not enough infrastructure, standards aren't set, and too much electricity is still produced from fossil fuels. It's concerning to me those issues aren't being discussed.
That's complicated. The "we" in "we're not ready" varies. Some people/places are ready. Apartment-dwellers? Not ready. Long-distance drivers? Not ready. But the big portion of drivers who can garage-charge their car once a week because they - like most people - drive under 30mi a day? They may be ready.

And electricity production from fossil fuels? Well, that's interesting because it's not a given that EV conversion will immediately cause a significant increase in fossil-to-electricity burning. That's because most EV charging is done off-peak hours. The power plants are still spun up today, burning fuel, but the electricity isn't being used. Sure, some plants get shut down off-peak, but not most... which is why the supply is such that you can get off-peak pricing. So... if we stop burning the gas in the tank and we start using (some) currently wasted electricity, there's a decent argument that there's improvement. That said... it's all math, and it's not clear what the real-world results will be. But... it's not clear-cut bad and it's not clear-cut good. Despite what "the sides" want to say.

But yeah, those issues are being discussed.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
And that's where this crap needs to stop, I think. It looks nice, but haptic feedback isn't enough. There needs to be texture. Every car I've ever driven, I could - and did - adjust things like cabin temperature, defrost, fan speeds... without taking my eye off the road. You can stick an arm out, and find the right controls by feel once you're a little familiar with that particular car. .
Yep, and that's why I absolutely hate touch screens. No tactile feel whatsoever, so I have to take my eyes off the road, and hope I hit the correct spot on the screen - while on a not overly smooth road and going a bit fast.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I watched it several times as a kid
My cousins and I watched this movie a thousand times when we were kids.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
@Anguish you make some interesting points, however there's a couple there that sorta make mine. Removable batteries in cell phones and ear phone jacks for example. Most people don't keep cell phones more than a year or two. Those that do (like me) you can actually replace the battery for like $30 they just don't make it easy. I mean they want us to buy their latest greatest $1000 cell phone every year or two right? I'm still rocking a Samsung S8 and it works great. I didn't fall in to the $1000 every couple years for a phone trap.

Ear phone jack is another good point you made for me. Yep that's now a standard but it wasn't always standard. How much has charging tech changed in cell phones in say the last 5-7 or so years? There have been several charging technologies introduced in that time and it seems with USB C it's become more standardized, for now. How are those car charging stations and the cars themselves going to keep up with what I expect will be rapidly evolving charging technology? Buy an EV today when they're really in their infancy and 5 years down the road you may be carrying an adapter around (or three) to get connect it to the charge station. Guy down the street from me works on future projects at Nissan and I've already gotten the heads up that battery tech is about to change...A LOT. I'll be surprised if current charge tech will even be compatible from what he's told me.

I'm not even getting in to the tax dollars that were/are being spent to prop up companies like Tesla and the tax dollars going to people to purchase EVs. The carbon credit purchase BS etc which is how Tesla even shows a profit to begin with.

If charging location and tech is being discussed, they'd better hurry up. We don't have any of that around here but a bunch of brand new gas stations just got built.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
PS We haven't talked about where the minerals for the batteries come from yet or how those get disposed of after their relatively very short life spans either. I couldn't believe I saw a news report on MMM the other night about Peru and the devastation the nickel mines have caused to the rain forests there. Musk was quoted in the story as saying "I'll buy all the nickel you can mine".

https://pulitzercenter.org/stories/...tion-nickel-mines-clearing-indonesian-forests

If EVs are so great, why is the gubment forcing them on us? Just let car companies build them show us how awesome they are, how much better than ICE, and we'll buy them.

holy shit where's the tylenol

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Sounds like you may be misinformed, Speedy!

Electricity is perfectly clean. Just look at your outlets. Okay, there could be some dust on them, but other than that...

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
And free!

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
It wasn't particularly interesting in my Jeep Cherokee XJ. Just pull the lever accordingly.
And even less so in the '14 Ram 1500, where it was done with buttons.
Never had it in a sport car I guess
My Jeeps and Trucks minus the TRX all had the same function

OP
rayzazoo
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
Thread Starter #134
PS We haven't talked about where the minerals for the batteries come from yet or how those get disposed of after their relatively very short life spans either. I couldn't believe I saw a news report on MMM the other night about Peru and the devastation the nickel mines have caused to the rain forests there. Musk was quoted in the story as saying "I'll buy all the nickel you can mine".

https://pulitzercenter.org/stories/...tion-nickel-mines-clearing-indonesian-forests

If EVs are so great, why is the gubment forcing them on us? Just let car companies build them show us how awesome they are, how much better than ICE, and we'll buy them.

holy shit where's the tylenol
Aside from the "green the world" political/public relations agenda, I think this is more about the "less reliance on foreign energy" agenda. And you bring up a very great point about the location/countries for mineral resourcing batteries.

Smaller scale, can't wait to see a flux capacitor in the new Delorean.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
The new Delorean does look pretty sharp. Not that I'm an ev guy, just sayin..

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Aside from the "green the world" political/public relations agenda, I think this is more about the "less reliance on foreign energy" agenda. And you bring up a very great point about the location/countries for mineral resourcing batteries.

Smaller scale, can't wait to see a flux capacitor in the new Delorean.
Dunno how moving from foreign oil to foreign minerals and batteries is any help with less reliance on foreign energy. I guess that's what the talking heads want us to think though. If people would educate themselves they wouldn't fall for that BS. The US produces more oil than it consumes as it is already, we just sell it to other countries to burn to produce their electricity, and we import oil from other countries. Makes no sense to me but maybe we're selling it for more than we're buying it?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
The new Delorean does look pretty sharp. Not that I'm an ev guy, just sayin..
New DeLorean? I thought is was a Tesla pickup.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Dunno how moving from foreign oil to foreign minerals and batteries is any help with less reliance on foreign energy. I guess that's what the talking heads want us to think though. If people would educate themselves they wouldn't fall for that BS. The US produces more oil than it consumes as it is already, we just sell it to other countries to burn to produce their electricity, and we import oil from other countries. Makes no sense to me but maybe we're selling it for more than we're buying it?
Way above my pay grade to sort that out...whatever the reasoning or rational behind it...bet it's not in the best interest of the American consumer..not even going to speculate what's going on there:(

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS