Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Your Ram Might Catch On Fire

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
It could catch on fire, burn down your house and possibly kill you.
Does that include diesel powered trucks? I’d have to doubt it. Hopefully. Closest to the house sometimes its in the driveway, otherwise in the street. My CTD is almost 20 yo so whatever…

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #42
Does that include diesel powered trucks? I’d have to doubt it. Hopefully. Closest to the house sometimes its in the driveway, otherwise in the street. My CTD is almost 20 yo so whatever…
It is only the diesel if I'm not mistaken.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Oh fu**! Naturally I didn't read it and assumed gasoline. Meh, whatever… Ive got 266+k on my old gal, but whatever….
PS, is this admission admissible in court? Like I care…I was hoping to ride this truck into retirement, but whatever…Power Wagons are nice!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
You're fine. It's the '19-up ones that have more than their fair share of issues, with CP4 pumps, transmission dipsticks, grid heater relays, etc.

Then again, you may want to disconnect the cable for the grid heater anyway, to avoid potentially having parts of the bolt at the heater element end up in the number six cylinder.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
You're fine. It's the '19-up ones that have more than their fair share of issues, with CP4 pumps, transmission dipsticks, grid heater relays, etc.

Then again, you may want to disconnect the cable for the grid heater anyway, to avoid potentially having parts of the bolt at the heater element end up in the number six cylinder.
So far so good brother. Thanks. My girl is an 04.
FC617364-442E-42C9-BCE1-25C813E45740.jpeg

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #46
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sioux Falls
State
SD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat 2021 Ram TRX
Just peachy, not only do I have to worry about Teslas burning my rig down....now Ram wants to also...

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Scotty is my second favorite native Rhode Islander...after James Woods! He's a hoot and certainly quite knowledgeable in addition to being entertaining...pulls ZERO punches...
I find him terribly annoying lol

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
OMG he is so annoying to listen to and watch!
Hah! And people wonder why I won't watch You Tube videos.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #51
Hah! And people wonder why I won't watch You Tube videos.
Remember that you're never forced to watch anything. It's very easy to turn it off.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Remember that you're never forced to watch anything. It's very easy to turn it off.
Or not turn on in the first place. Which is why I asked what those recalls were about, so I wouldn't have to watch the video.

Doesn't matter, we did get it figured out (I think).

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #53
Or not turn on in the first place. Which is why I asked what those recalls were about, so I wouldn't have to watch the video.

Doesn't matter, we did get it figured out (I think).
The dipstick fire recall is corrected according to the receipt.

I guess that it's 1 down and 1 or 2 to go. It's going to live outside until this is fixed.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
C'mon. Disconnect the cable for the heater relay from the battery and you won't have any fire risk.

You can always put it back on before going to the dealer for the the fix when that day comes.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #55
C'mon. Disconnect the cable for the heater relay from the battery and you won't have any fire risk.

You can always put it back on before going to the dealer for the the fix when that day comes.
According to the guy who checked it in the past, it's buried back in the dash somewhere and he had to remove shit to reach it.

I'm going to go work on landscaping then possibly take a dip.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Then it can't be the grid heater relay that's the issue. All that stuff is under the hood.

Hmm, the only fire related recall I can find for Ram diesels is indeed the grid heater relay. You'll see it towards the rear of the right side inner fender. And the cable between it and the battery.

If your dealer wants to access that area from the dash side, they'll definitely have to remove quite a few things. Opening the hood is far easier.

Last edited:

Trucker Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Out of IL. Thank God
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger M6
Okay, looks like it's grid heater relay related then.

Just unhook the positive cable, at the battery, that feeds the relay and zip tie it to the coolant reservoir. Done.
Some of them can set a code, but generally it doesn't happen if you just start the engine without waiting for the heating cycle to finish.

If you have the fancy push start button, push it twice to make the engine start instantly.

Will your pickup still start in Florida? Probably. I disconnected the grid heater on mine several years ago, it starts right up, and still haven't got a single code. Of course, so far it hasn't been at below -10.
You should get rid of the whole heating grid there is a electric connection that rots away and gets sucked through the engine. look at the Gail Banks stuff. Plus in FL you don't need the grid heater.
TB

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
You should get rid of the whole heating grid there is a electric connection that rots away and gets sucked through the engine. look at the Gail Banks stuff. Plus in FL you don't need the grid heater.TB
That connection can only go bad when the grid heater is used, which is easy enough to avoid.

I disconnected mine years ago, when this first started to become a known issue. As it turned out, I don't need the grid heater here, either. At least not if it's -10 or warmer (the lowest temp I've started mine at, so far).

Also, I have the older basic solenoid, not the fancy new electronic relay that likes to catch on fire.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #59
That connection can only go bad when the grid heater is used, which is easy enough to avoid.

I disconnected mine years ago, when this first started to become a known issue. As it turned out, I don't need the grid heater here, either. At least not if it's -10 or warmer (the lowest temp I've started mine at, so far).

Also, I have the older basic solenoid, not the fancy new electronic relay that likes to catch on fire.
It was still sitting in the driveway this morning and started up, so nothing yet.

When I took it in before for the recall they had it for a few hours. Tech told me that whatever he was checking was buried and took him quite a while to get to it.

I never looked at the recall to see exactly what needed to be checked. I really don't give a shit as long as it's fixed.

2 recalls were just performed along with the valve or valve body in the transmission. The work order isn't very clear.

This is not a long-term keeper. Having some problems with the backup camera and the touch screen not working sometimes which they couldn't replicate.

What's next?