Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Winter fuel not as good.....

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Hey keep talking. Very interesting. Think others would be interested also. Does that stuff just raise the BTU content of shi %$# gas to normal octane/BTU content?. Or would it benefit better gas also? Is it an octane adder, BTU adder, or cooling effect? Is it added like nitrous on a plate system into the intake stream or jetted separately. It must take very little for a 5lb tank to last for months. Why is this not more well known or commonly done if it's such a good benefit? I think this would be a good post on its own.
I have always run it with high grade pump gas (91 or 94), it raises the total octane (propane is typically 103 to 110). So you can estimate that the total octane is about 6pts higher give or take with the propane added on top of the base fuel.

It uses an industrial grade solenoid versus a modified discharge pump from Harbor Freight. The propane is only injected under load, and my set up use a single nitrous jet (and can also be pulse modulated) - driving styles will change the consumption rate. In my TBSS it adds about 20% fuel under "boost" to compensate for the total fuel demands of the motor - effectively making it a 9th injector (or turning my 60pph injectors into 72s) And because it is a solenoid it can be controlled the same way a nitrous kit can be by using a controller with a ramp rate.

Cooling effect? Probably some, but I don't consider it a motivating factor as it is injected as a gas and not a liquid. Just nice clean predictable octane enhancement.

It never caught on because of a variety of reasons... too many to list here. It is a bit more popular in Australia.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
The EPA wood invent a new book on this system. What a set up. Some clubs would say ::: cheating:::. Very cleaver.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
The EPA wood invent a new book on this system. What a set up. Some clubs would say ::: cheating:::. Very cleaver.
It's not my design - I've just been the lone (?) long term user since the early 2000s. I do know what to do to replicate the system with newer electronics. The system was originally marketed toward Turbo Buicks and SY/TYs - which at the time we're limited by injector size and tuning.

It is nice always running around with a single tune set to kill.

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
I don't understand why we continue to have winter fuel to this day. I mean, I totally understand the purpose and what is different about the fuel but it is safe to say that basically every car on the road today is fuel injected, thus rendering winter fuel obsolete right? I don't think I have seen a single carburetor car on the road (other than classics which are not driven in the winter anyway) since about 1998 lol.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #45
It's not that I don't understand it, it's a supplemental fuel system. It just doesn't seem very practical for a modern car vs alternatives. I can see why it made sense for your Buick 20 years ago though. If you install it on your Hellcat let us know how it does.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Awesome
THE WORLD MUST BE COMING TO AN END HICKSTER SEEMED TO BE SPEAKING ALMOST NORMAL IN THIS POST :ROFLMAO:

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
It's not that I don't understand it, it's a supplemental fuel system. It just doesn't seem very practical for a modern car vs alternatives. I can see why it made sense for your Buick 20 years ago though. If you install it on your Hellcat let us know how it does.
My point wasn't your direct lack of comprehension (especially given I explained it really well here as well as the other site a few months back) - rather I took exception to the general denouncing of something proven without having a real appreciation or experience with it. This community is extremely guilty of doing this dismissive bullshit. Durr... durr... tank in the trunk... durr... durr... tailgating... durr... durr... Hank Hill propane and propane accessories. The propane injection system worked great on my TBSS during Drag Week 2016 - which was just a whole three years ago... and last night too. Hardly antiquated employment.

PS. meth injection in an automotive application dates back to (at least) the early-1960s - so let's not pretend like it was just recently invented and is somehow more acceptable.

(gets good around the 6 minute mark)

Hell... the Turbo Buicks have an unused Power Injection idiot light on the dash from the factory - Buick dropped it because the average owner is a lazy shit who wouldn't have been bothered to keep the tank filled (the same thing that partially killed the Turbo Fire). I am not even going to touch on the WWII applications.

Somehow, I bet, if OST, HPP, Barth or someone else stuck their name on the side of a propane tank with a colour-matched controller, a two wire hook up, told you it would support 1000hp on 87 octane on the factory tune, and charged a premium for it asshats would be lining up on Facebook screaming:

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I used to go to the paint store and buy something I think called tuleen ran in my twin turbo car

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Paint thinner I think
Oh who knows maybe i was just sniffing that stuff lol

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Just saw this on the faceballs - nifty!

Meth and nawz!

Attachments

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #52
My point wasn't your direct lack of comprehension (especially given I explained it really well here as well as the other site a few months back) - rather I took exception to the general denouncing of something proven without having a real appreciation or experience with it. This community is extremely guilty of doing this dismissive bullshit. Durr... durr... tank in the trunk... durr... durr... tailgating... durr... durr... Hank Hill propane and propane accessories. The propane injection system worked great on my TBSS during Drag Week 2016 - which was just a whole three years ago... and last night too. Hardly antiquated employment.

snip....
Like I said, stick it on your Hellcat and get back to me.

Durr durr durr my 20 year old propane system on my 30 year old Turbo Buick and then I link to meth injection and Nitrous LOL. I'm busting your balls a bit here obviously, all in good fun don't take me seriously. I run meth injection on my blown 4Runner and yes it is ancient tech but it's the best I got for the 4Runner. On my third pump due to internal pump failures in 4 years but that's a story for a different day. For Hellcats there's just other more practical alternatives IMO (def NOT meth injection), but wouldn't mind being proven wrong on that for sure.

The point of this thread is that I'm seeing a marked difference in summer fuel vs winter and have logs to back it up. My next little experiment will be to play with mixing a bit of E85 in (or E70 if that's what we get here in the winter) to see if I can make 94 octane without the fuel trims or lambda going haywire. I'm good on 93 honestly, but 94 would be cool for that little extra wriggle room.

If the dang fuel systems weren't so expensive to swap to I'd do dual pumps and a flex tune setup honestly. I have 3 E85 stations around the house.

Last edited:

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
THE LACK OF E85 STATIONS IS WHAT MADE ME NOT DO IT IN THE FIRST PLACE AND YOU HAVE THEM THAT CLOSE,I HAVE TO DRIVE ABOUT 45 MINUTES SO I CARRY 4 TANKS WITH ME AND FILL THEM UP AS WELL
PULL THE TRIGGER SPEEDY LOL

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #54
Go fund me? :LOL:

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Ok let’s start a speedy goes E85 fund
Y’all know we will get an informative video and in the long run we all will benefit from it
Say everyone on the forum makes a 25.00 donation and any money left over in the account goes to st Jude children’s hospital we can call it the hellcat donation

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Eh.

FIC1200's and a Gasohol kit is well under 2 grand.

Worth it to not have to screw with it.

Pull up to station of choice. Grab any nozzle but diesel. Dispense into tank. Go whoop some ass.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #58
Eh.

FIC1200's and a Gasohol kit is well under 2 grand.

Worth it to not have to screw with it.

Pull up to station of choice. Grab any nozzle but diesel. Dispense into tank. Go whoop some ass.
You sure? The price I'm seeing for just parts is about $2400, then you still have to get the tune.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Didn't realize the injectors MSRP at a grand.

You can probably pick them up for less than that from a few dealers and get you much closer to that 2k mark though.

It's still entirely worth the switch either way.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I've never seen a gas station here in GA that states winter blend. Or do they change the blend and not tell the customer?
Heard the "Winter Blend" for years.
Always thought it was BS, just an excuse to bump prices.
So, I was wrong....
DANG IT!
Second time this year!