Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Who's Going to Moparty?

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Balancing beads work great for Drag tires. Then doesn't matter if the tire spins on the wheel.
I put 4oz. in each 315, works great. No weights, just throw the bag in b4 mounting the tire.
Yep I spun the wheel on my beadlocks (yes) so they’re a bit out of balance now next time will be balancing beads

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I guess the good news for those they didn't go they have had lots of rain. They seem to get that here and there at that place. I know a couple of years ago the ls fest was rained out and I was there for an NMRA race and only had a few hours of racing all weekend

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #63
Friday had great weather, yesterday (Saturday) was even better at least as a spectator. Overcast so the sun wasn't beating us up and it was real cool with a nice breeze. Had a shower late in the day that didn't last long. Had about 1.5 hr of light rain this morning, but that's long gone. Not sure what that'll do to the schedule but that's racing as they say.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Update:

signal-2023-09-17-16-31-37-159.jpg

The culprit. The ground on the back side of the strut tower that runs to the bellhousing. I thought it would be loose at the bell but was visibly loose here. All other TIPM grounds were tight except this one...and it was the cause of the entire issue.

Bonus though. I can now change a starter in 15min practically. So yay for me. Long tubes also make that easier believe it or not.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Update:

View attachment 115885

The culprit. The ground on the back side of the strut tower that runs to the bellhousing. I thought it would be loose at the bell but was visibly loose here. All other TIPM grounds were tight except this one...and it was the cause of the entire issue.

Bonus though. I can now change a starter in 15min practically. So yay for me. Long tubes also make that easier believe it or not.
Yep those ground straps will get you for the front headlamp to dash harness / fuse box. My intercooler pump stopped working after changing intake (whipple one connected under the nut) and forgot to put the nut back on but luckily found it quickly

zhc

Founding Member
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Update:

View attachment 115885

Whenever that particular ground to the bell housing isn't secure, the trans may try to ground itself through the converter galling the pilot bushing that the converter slides into. Often when this happens, the converter will stay stuck to the engine when puling the trans off. I've had to replace a few pilot bushings and smooth out the converter end a couple times because of this.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Whenever that particular ground to the bell housing isn't secure, the trans may try to ground itself through the converter galling the pilot bushing that the converter slides into. Often when this happens, the converter will stay stuck to the engine when puling the trans off. I've had to replace a few pilot bushings and smooth out the converter end a couple times because of this.
I had to use the freezer trick to get my pilot bushing in after pulling the m6 pilot bearing (that was a bear, ended up grinding a slide hammer attachment down to get it out of the crank). I’ll have to double check that ground strap just to make sure, or maybe I’ll find out the hard way whenever I eventually go to do the trans/torque converter

clv22p

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nashville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger 1320
Friday had great weather, yesterday (Saturday) was even better at least as a spectator. Overcast so the sun wasn't beating us up and it was real cool with a nice breeze. Had a shower late in the day that didn't last long. Had about 1.5 hr of light rain this morning, but that's long gone. Not sure what that'll do to the schedule but that's racing as they say.
All the racing was completed today. Track ended up going hot about 1:30 instead of the scheduled 9a.

I ended up only getting 2 passes the whole time. So that sorta sucked. I couldn’t make it Friday. They canceled 2 runs yesterday for our class due to rain and then I got eliminated round 1 today.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I don't know how long it was like this but it came to a head yesterday.

Hopefully no other issues and hopefully no jacked up pilot bearing. Guess I won't know til we yank the motor/trans again.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Jesus, how many amps are pulling through there to weld the bushing?

zhc

Founding Member
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Jesus, how many amps are pulling through there to weld the bushing?
I dunno, but here’s what it looks like when you forget to secure that one ground to the bell housing. No apparent issues besides being surprised, disappointed, and a oiley mess whenever pulling the trans and the converter stays on the crank. IMG_4664.jpeg

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
All the racing was completed today. Track ended up going hot about 1:30 instead of the scheduled 9a.

I ended up only getting 2 passes the whole time. So that sorta sucked. I couldn’t make it Friday. They canceled 2 runs yesterday for our class due to rain and then I got eliminated round 1 today.
Glad to hear it wasn't a complete rain out

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
My friend Greg won grand champion again:)

1695029299213.png

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Update:

View attachment 115885

OUCH!

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
1695068353732.png

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Update:

View attachment 115885

This picture is a bit too close to understand where this is, can you post a picture from a bit further out?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
1695072664142.png

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
This picture is a bit too close to understand where this is, can you post a picture from a bit further out?
Perhaps tomorrow once the sun comes up.

It's pretty much directly between the strut tower brace and the PCM on the back side of the passenger side strut tower. A wiring connector is above it attached to the bar itself. There are 2 wires that attach to this point. I partially removed the wiper cowl and went in thru the supercharger coolant hoses with a flex head 10mm wrench. Socket, extension and universals would also work.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I had to use the freezer trick to get my pilot bushing in after pulling the m6 pilot bearing (that was a bear, ended up grinding a slide hammer attachment down to get it out of the crank). I’ll have to double check that ground strap just to make sure, or maybe I’ll find out the hard way whenever I eventually go to do the trans/torque converter
I guess you have never heard of or tried the moist white bread trick to get pilot bushings out? It works.