Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Who's Going to Moparty?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I think the opposite the host hotels will have more people out and out knowing what to look for.
They follow cars or groups from power tour. Not sure if it's the same thing at drag week.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I know none of my hotels are official ones...but if Hilton branded establishments (worst one booked is a hampton inn) get my stuff jacked it was gonna happen anyway.

As far as a designated route I guess we'll find out at the driver's meeting.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I know none of my hotels are official ones...but if Hilton branded establishments (worst one booked is a hampton inn) get my stuff jacked it was gonna happen anyway.

As far as a designated route I guess we'll find out at the driver's meeting.
We used to stay at Hiltons but during the plandemic they weren't really cleaning the rooms but were spraying some crap in each one.

Crazy.

I would prefer to just use the checkpoints but we're not competing so it doesn't matter.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I think the opposite the host hotels will have more people out and out knowing what to look for.
The power tour guys are in bed by 9 the drag week guys are up all night working on their cars so someone will be outside;)

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
The power tour guys are in bed by 9 the drag week guys are up all night working on their cars so someone will be outside;)
Power Tour people working on cars along the road. Wife now calls them, Roadkill.

But there's plenty of people hanging outside at the hotels and some are working on cars.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I just had my first experience with dismounting and remounting a set of these 315/50 R's and lemme tell you. I'm gonna kick the mold guy at MT right in the snooch.

They also took right around 5-6oz each to spin balance but balanced out ok. I lined up the yellows to the TPMS. If it weren't a beadlock setup I would've popped and spun 180 but screw that 4 step torque sequence on 48 bolts.
Balancing beads work great for Drag tires. Then doesn't matter if the tire spins on the wheel.
I put 4oz. in each 315, works great. No weights, just throw the bag in b4 mounting the tire.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Balancing beads work great for Drag tires. Then doesn't matter if the tire spins on the wheel.
I put 4oz. in each 315, works great. No weights, just throw the bag in b4 mounting the tire.
I’ve been using balancing beads for some of last year and all of this year with great luck

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Wish I was going but too far for me. Yeah I know, caddy ass.

Yall have fun & be safe.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I contemplated it. Just as many that use them say not to.

I'll try it next time around. If anything just for the fact I won't have to worry about chucking a weight.

I’ve been using balancing beads for some of last year and all of this year with great luck
Noice. You're also not that slow either which makes me feel a bit better about it.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
So how do you determine how much?

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Rears typically 6oz but there are charts online

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I've always used 4oz. bags, with no problem & I drove to & from the track on my tires. 60 miles each way, driving 70 > 75 mph. Like Jon said there are charts for how many oz's to use per pound of tire. But 4 > 6oz's will do it. They come in a bag of a curtain amount & just throw the whole bag in the tire b4 mounting it on the rim & the bag will break open after you drive just a little ways.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I've always used 4oz. bags, with no problem & I drove to & from the track on my tires. 60 miles each way, driving 70 > 75 mph. Like Jon said there are charts for how many oz's to use per pound of tire. But 4 > 6oz's will do it. They come in a bag of a curtain amount & just throw the whole bag in the tire b4 mounting it on the rim & the bag will break open after you drive just a little ways.
I tried them a few years ago and wasn't successful with them. Guess that I wasn't using enough weight.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I tried them a few years ago and wasn't successful with them. Guess that I wasn't using enough weight.
Oh ok, so you are familiar with them. How much was you using per tire?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Oh ok, so you are familiar with them. How much was you using per tire?
It's been a while but probably about 6 ozs.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Well I will not be able to make it. It's currently 11:30 at night roughly and the car decided around 5:30 to develop some sort of electrical issue. The starter is either drawing too much current or the car can no longer Supply enough. Batteries are good. Relays are good. Starter tests fine.

I can only get it to start by hooking a jumper pack directly to the starter while jumping the solenoid. This all started after a car wash where I did not even spray anything under the hood. We're currently thinking either the starter itself (despite testing good both manually and at the vatozone next door) or bad grounds or both. Either way. It's too late to fix to make tech at 1pm.

I f#*kin tried though. A small army of friends showed up and 2 even drove to Buffalo area for parts that we ended up not buying because everything tested good while they were in transit. I cannot thank them enough for trying.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Well I will not be able to make it. It's currently 11:30 at night roughly and the car decided around 5:30 to develop some sort of electrical issue. The starter is either drawing too much current or the car can no longer Supply enough. Batteries are good. Relays are good. Starter tests fine.

I can only get it to start by hooking a jumper pack directly to the starter while jumping the solenoid. This all started after a car wash where I did not even spray anything under the hood. We're currently thinking either the starter itself (despite testing good both manually and at the vatozone next door) or bad grounds or both. Either way. It's too late to fix to make tech at 1pm.

I f#*kin tried though. A small army of friends showed up and 2 even drove to Buffalo area for parts that we ended up not buying because everything tested good while they were in transit. I cannot thank them enough for trying.
Nooooooo!!!!

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Believe me. We threw the book at it in a car wash parking lot til we absolutely couldn't anymore. We did eventually get the car started and I put several miles of driving on it to "bake" out any residual, went to my house, shut it off and...dead again. So I made the call at midnight to wave it off for this year.

It's in the wiring somewhere because once running the car ran absolutely great. It has stored permanent codes for crank/cam correlation, cam sensor, evap purge, several communication issues, etc from either battery swaps, jumping or the wiring issue itself (this is what I'm banking on due to nature of the codes)

I'll be diving in more later today. Checking the motor to chassis grounds primarily and also cleaning off the starter mating surfaces so that body is getting the best ground possible and retry. If I had to bet...I'd say it's the bellhousing one so I'm gonna get the mirror out and look.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Believe me. We threw the book at it in a car wash parking lot til we absolutely couldn't anymore. We did eventually get the car started and I put several miles of driving on it to "bake" out any residual, went to my house, shut it off and...dead again. So I made the call at midnight to wave it off for this year.

It's in the wiring somewhere because once running the car ran absolutely great. It has stored permanent codes for crank/cam correlation, cam sensor, evap purge, several communication issues, etc from either battery swaps, jumping or the wiring issue itself (this is what I'm banking on due to nature of the codes)

I'll be diving in more later today. Checking the motor to chassis grounds primarily and also cleaning off the starter mating surfaces so that body is getting the best ground possible and retry. If I had to bet...I'd say it's the bellhousing one so I'm gonna get the mirror out and look.
Got in a little while ago. It's now raining and everyone is heading out. Doesn't look like and testing today.