Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Which Oil??

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Yep, got vids on all that. Just hitup the Go Man Go play list and grab a cold one :)
Watched both videos on your injectors and t-stat changes. Great info. I may be going with FIC injectors, I'm not sure if they have the clip that the Injector Dynamics do. If anyone knows, please share the info. I know they need a PnP adapter for the plugs though.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
For what it's worth, the only engine that I've ever had a lubrication-based component failure in used Mobile-1.

:confused:

To be fair, it's a '06 5.7L (Durango) and supposedly there's a history of valve train failures with this engine?? I don't know, I've only ever had one myself.

Last edited:

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
To be fair, it's a '06 5.7L (Durango) and supposedly there's a history of valve train failures with this engine?? I don't know, I've only ever had one myself.

They’re notorious for lifter failures.

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
Watched both videos on your injectors and t-stat changes. Great info. I may be going with FIC injectors, I'm not sure if they have the clip that the Injector Dynamics do. If anyone knows, please share the info. I know they need a PnP adapter for the plugs though.
I just put fic's in my gt500, good price and no issues. Have always used mobile one euro in it also.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
The fic injectors are an easy install the plug and play connector can be a little fussy though but no extra clips are needed the stock fuel injector clips work fine

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
15w50 advanced full synthetic. Mobil one over here

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
15w50 advanced full synthetic. Mobil one over here
That’s quite a way off from the recommended 0 weight isn’t it? There has to be a reason they wanted that 0 cold weight.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I use Mobil 1.

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
That’s quite a way off from the recommended 0 weight isn’t it? There has to be a reason they wanted that 0 cold weight.
Just what my block builder recommended for my 426. Alex at BBP.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
T
There’s a reason for that. Full build stroker with different internals requires a different weight oil per Better Built Perf. It’s what I’m running in mine after a conventional oil break-in.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #31
Yeah people should mention that when posting LOL

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
T

There’s a reason for that. Full build stroker with different internals requires a different weight oil per Better Built Perf. It’s what I’m running in mine after a conventional oil break-in.
T

Thanks Marc for clarifying that up for me.
Sorry speedy I should explained why I’m using that particular oil.
Another awesome video man!👍👍

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Thanks Marc for clarifying that up for me.
Sorry speedy I should explained why I’m using that particular oil.
Another awesome video man!👍👍
I am sure Arizona summers could be an issue too.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I am sure Arizona summers could be an issue too.
Yeah there is that. 😂 Actually I think it might be wise for those pushing 1000whp now to do some research on what kind of oil protection rings and bearings need with the increased loads they’re seeing. What Dodge wants for 600whp might not be what you want for double that.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Yeah there is that. 😂 Actually I think it might be wise for those pushing 1000whp now to do some research on what kind of oil protection rings and bearings need with the increased loads they’re seeing. What Dodge wants for 600whp might not be what you want for double that.
I port, shim, and lap the face plates of the oil pumps in my LS engines for increased pressure and flow... and never - ever - run a high volume pump.

DemonSRT

500 Posts Club
Donating Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kawartha Lakes
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Built in Canada 2018 Demon #3135
Speedy, a few thoughts on your vid....which is great - they all are!

I agree - I'd go back to Mobil 1 and call it a day. I'm not a brandophile when it comes to oil myself....any decent full synthetic oil should be fine. As I've gotten older, I think having a good filter is just as important as the oil. -Funny about Mobil 1 0W-40, as it used to be THE recommended oil for my '11 SRT8 392 until FCA took over and dropped Mobil and contracted with Pennzoil instead....and added this MS - blank blank recommendation. Funny, but many years back Pennzoil wasn't held in real high regard as being a quality oil....but that was back when most vehicles still ran Dino oil vs. synthetics.

I've never heard of any significant differences in blower designs between '16 and '18 hellcats. I wonder if your new Redeye engine is just more capable of using the boost instead of stacking it up in the intake....and that's why others are seeing slightly more boost using the same pulley sizes on their HC engines vs. your RE engine? Have you considered replacing your HC blower with either a RE blower, or something aftermarket and slightly bigger?

Neat to see how green your area is outside this time of year! Up where I'm at in WI., we're already dipping into the low 20's or teens at night and only getting in the 40's max during the day. I only notice because I plan to relocate to TN. in the next couple of years....somewhere either mid TN. or S/E or S/W of where you're at. Your location from what I've read (Murfreesboro) is one of the fastest growing areas around, but I'm looking for a nice area where houses are reasonable or cheap on 5 or so acres, and is more "out in the country" than the city or 'burbs. I don't mind driving 45 minutes to the nearest grocery store or hospital. Any places around you in TN. like that?
At the time of the Daimler Chrysler bankruptcy they owed Mobil 1 a lot of money that they did not pay when they came out of bankruptcy as FCA. So Mobil 1 in retaliation would not supply FCA with their product any longer. That made FCA go to another supplier which ended up being Pennzoil.

There is a Mopar engineer that will only use Mobil 1 in the cars they race as they have found that if you use the Pennzoil that the engine consumes some of it by burning it where as it does not do that with the Mobil 1 brand oil. Go figure.

After finding that out, (and also that I too experienced some oil consumption with Pennzoil), I started to use Mobil 1 and the oil consumption has stopped.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
At the time of the Daimler Chrysler bankruptcy they owed Mobil 1 a lot of money that they did not pay when they came out of bankruptcy as FCA. So Mobil 1 in retaliation would not supply FCA with their product any longer. That made FCA go to another supplier which ended up being Pennzoil.

There is a Mopar engineer that will only use Mobil 1 in the cars they race as they have found that if you use the Pennzoil that the engine consumes some of it by burning it where as it does not do that with the Mobil 1 brand oil. Go figure.

After finding that out, (and also that I too experienced some oil consumption with Pennzoil), I started to use Mobil 1 and the oil consumption has stopped.
Sounds like Mobil lost out on some decent revenue then! If what you're saying about the Daimler Chrysler bankruptcy is correct - and it sounds about right to me - they were probably able to write off a lot of their loss in their taxes I'd assume, so I doubt they lost a whole lot of money overall.

Kinda weird you're seeing increased oil consumption with one brand of oil vs. another.....you'd think they'd be the same if both oils are the same viscosity. I do know for what Pennzoil is charging for their PUP oil in quart bottles....it should be the BEST oil out there!

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Sounds like Mobil lost out on some decent revenue then! If what you're saying about the Daimler Chrysler bankruptcy is correct - and it sounds about right to me - they were probably able to write off a lot of their loss in their taxes I'd assume, so I doubt they lost a whole lot of money overall.

Kinda weird you're seeing increased oil consumption with one brand of oil vs. another.....you'd think they'd be the same if both oils are the same viscosity. I do know for what Pennzoil is charging for their PUP oil in quart bottles....it should be the BEST oil out there!
Though just one variable in a formulated motor oil, but a lot of folks focus on NOACK percentage. Pennzoil has stopped sharing their numbers, but last time I checked the last published number for PUP 0w-40 was 12% or so. For comparison, Asmoil 0w-40 is around 6%. Not sure what Mobil 0w-40 is, but that might be a contributing factor. I tend to compare NOACKS when comparing various oils personally. PUP has a nice dose of Moly last UOA I saw. I have stopped obsessing about oils, but wouldn't hesitate to run Mobil over PUP.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Though just one variable in a formulated motor oil, but a lot of folks focus on NOACK percentage. Pennzoil has stopped sharing their numbers, but last time I checked the last published number for PUP 0w-40 was 12% or so. For comparison, Asmoil 0w-40 is around 6%. Not sure what Mobil 0w-40 is, but that might be a contributing factor. I tend to compare NOACKS when comparing various oils personally. PUP has a nice dose of Moly last UOA I saw. I have stopped obsessing about oils, but wouldn't hesitate to run Mobil over PUP.
For members that may not be aware, a lower NOACK % is preferred. (Less susceptible to vaporize under high heat)

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
For members that may not be aware, a lower NOACK % is preferred. (Less susceptible to vaporize under high heat)
Thanks...just realized I should have included that. Appreciate it.