Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

What intake do you have in your Hellcat?

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Since using the JLT on my '15, I always wondered if the more nicely constructed CF tube of the LMI would fit with my JLT air box. Guess so then. Nice work Hpindy.
Shop the classifieds. That's what I did . I got both systems for the price of one new one lol . Wait for track testing to see if it's worth the effort though .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I'll do that as I'm subscribed here. Thanks.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Time for track testing ......

BTW can you spot what I did?

Like that.
19's come with CAI.
With the LMI and that housing, how is sound?

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Yes it is a 2015-2016 LMI intake . I blocked off the MAF port and adapted the 2017 and up IAT sensor. It's also in a JLT air box . I'm still working on completely sealing it to the hood .

I'm curious about your results, since that hole in the hood is a heat extractor. I'm interested to see what happens, there.

Because the intake will also be drawing from the engine compartment, as well... it's feasible this configuration may draw more hot air across the filter, at speed, as that air is drawn out of the engine compartment via that hole in the hood.

I believe the hood is designed to create low pressure behind the leading edge of the hole profile, in an effort to draw hot air out of the engine compartment, at speed. Maybe I'm wrong?

I do love experimenting, though. Keep us posted.

Bob
Riverside, California

Last edited:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I'm curious about your results, since that hole in the hood is a heat extractor. I'm interested to see what happens, there.

Because the intake will also be drawing from the engine compartment, as well... it's feasible this configuration may draw more hot air across the filter, at speed, as that air is drawn out of the engine compartment via that hole in the bood.

I believe the hood is designed to create low pressure behind the leading edge of the hole profile, in an effort to draw hot air out of the engine compartment, at speed. Maybe I'm wrong?

I do love experimenting, though. Keep us posted.

Bob
Riverside, California
You may be right but I am planning to find out .

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Like that.
19's come with CAI.
With the LMI and that housing, how is sound?
Yes the 19 has a true cold air intake and until I can get a demon hood I will be testing and using something like this . Btw it sounds like Satan himself screaming!

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
This popped up in my faceballs feed this morning.

junk.jpg

I wonder how much they are going to charge for a tube? Note that is a 4" pipe fed by a sub-3" hole in the headlight, which will restrict the volume. I find it funny that the vendor even mentions using a velocity stack/bellmouth in the comments (almost like they are trolling the forums reading my posts. #humblebrag). I'll still maintain my position that an intake tube into fully a sealed box is the best overall option for all pre-2019 Challengers and all Chargers - especially considering not one vendor has shown definitive (and independant) proof that their product is superior to stock, or at least superior enough to substantiate the cost beyond NVH generation.

FYI, you can build this off of eBay for $50 in parts. But, folks are so quick to throw their money at the next big thing...

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

View attachment 1254

I wonder how much they are going to charge for a tube? Note that is a 4" pipe fed by a sub-3" hole in the headlight, which will restrict the volume. I find it funny that the vendor even mentions using a velocity stack/bellmouth in the comments (almost like they are trolling the forums reading my posts. #humblebrag). I'll still maintain my position that an intake tube into fully a sealed box is the best overall option for all pre-2019 Challengers and all Chargers - especially considering not one vendor has shown definitive (and independant) proof that their product is superior to stock, or at least superior enough to substantiate the cost beyond NVH generation.

FYI, you can build this off of eBay for $50 in parts. But, folks are so quick to throw their money at the next big thing...
So that thing just draws air from the little headlight hole with no filter? Might as well just use the black key. [facepalm]

Member ID
Reactions
City
Nashville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Challenger Hellcat
Any have a link to whiner intakes ??

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat

View attachment 1254

Funny ..... I already tried something like that . First time going WOT the car shut off and got a code . It was one of the barometric pressure codes . Basically not enough air volume and the ecu seen the difference and shut the motor down . .......

Member ID
Reactions
City
Schaumburg
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I haven't found any significant gains over stock. I do believe that modding the box to add additional flow from front is more beneficial without the added heat soak from other CAI's, not to mention the hassle of block-offs to the top to keep it dry...besides, the OEM look usually leaves them wondering.
This.(y) I believe heat is in fact an issue and that IAT's are important as well as volume. That's why it's interesting to me to see the LMI intake basically leave the filter exposed to all the heat from the engine and blower,, same with BWoody. Yes they sound cool because you really hear the blower whine, but I have seen several people install these and pull them back off and put the OEM intake back on because the IAT's get even hotter than stock. There is a reason I would think the engineers at Dodge sealed the stock intake in a box, and also why the headlight tube also sucks air in , in addition to the bottom of the box. I went through the SAME drill for years with all my Camaro's and Vettes.. all these aftermarket companies making $400-$600 intakes that look neat, but that show little to no gain without significant tuning. The only ones that truly showed any gain were the ones where the filter was isolated or sealed off from the engine and heat and took air in from the outside directly.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Just ordered LMI yesterday, hope I'm not disappointed. Yes I know it will pull some hot air, but I think its more about volume than temp... Besides, isn't that what the intercooler is for??

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
Yes the 19 has a true cold air intake and until I can get a demon hood I will be testing and using something like this . Btw it sounds like Satan himself screaming!

Hpindy
I just put a carbon demon hood on my cat recently. I’m running the LMI as well and before the demon hood I was seeing 150-160 IAT’s. Now I haven’t seen the IAT’s over 140. That air grabber shoots all that cooler air straight to the lmi. With the demon hood that lmi screams.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Schaumburg
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Just ordered LMI yesterday, hope I'm not disappointed. Yes I know it will pull some hot air, but I think its more about volume than temp... Besides, isn't that what the intercooler is for??
I think its fine, its not that its a Bad intake, I just don't think they are all they are cracked up to be. I was on the fence a few days ago and believe me I LOVE the increased sound you get from the blower.. I just had some pause when I started doing further research and have heard a few pull them back off.. now these were guys that wanted every tenth at the track and were concerned about increase in IAT etc.. Post up your feedback once you get it on, the more feedback and people that try them benefits everyone. Good luck (y)

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
I think its fine, its not that its a Bad intake, I just don't think they are all they are cracked up to be. I was on the fence a few days ago and believe me I LOVE the increased sound you get from the blower.. I just had some pause when I started doing further research and have heard a few pull them back off.. now these were guys that wanted every tenth at the track and were concerned about increase in IAT etc.. Post up your feedback once you get it on, the more feedback and people that try them benefits everyone. Good luck (y)
Check out Hpindy ‘s thread called project demon breath. He posted up track times with stock air box and 2 different after market air intakes. LMI has the quickest time in the 1/4 mile. It’s a pretty cool and detailed thread. Lots of good info in there.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Like primetime said look at the thread I have on the go " project demons breath " I tested the stock air box with no filter, JLT and the LMI. I'm actually pretty surprised myself at the results .

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Like primetime said look at the thread I have on the go " project demons breath " I tested the stock air box with no filter, JLT and the LMI. I'm actually pretty surprised myself at the results .

And that was at 15-15.5# boost?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Yes . My logs only show 204KPA of pressure in them .

Member ID
Reactions
City
Schaumburg
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

That was a good thread thanks for all that info.. I guess my only comment is you have a heavily modded car and tune correct? Also running more boost than stock Hellcat and you have the demon blower. My comments were mainly speaking of an otherwise stock set up and results with these CAI kits :)

Last edited:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
That was a good thread thanks for all that info.. I guess my only comment is you have a heavily modded car and tune correct? My comments were mainly speaking an otherwise stock set up.
I was just about to post here on that very subject . On a stock or near stock combination the results will be a lot different . In my opinion there is a "point" the stock air box will run out of volume . Look at the demon FCA even said in their articles they tested different intakes/hoods to get more fresh air / volume into the engine . That "point" will be different for every car though . I have a completely different "out side the box" setup on my car . A CAI is a great supporting mod in my opinion. If you are expecting a huge gains then a CAI is not for you . I have nothing to gain by fudging the results or lying( only looking like a fool) . I am not bias towards any manufacturer either . I bought both intakes used from forum members . The funny part is I don't care about the "sound" I just want the most functional one for my car.