Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

To sell or not to sell the Trackhawk

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Guys, I could use some opinions and suggestions here. As some of you know, I've been considering selling the 'Hawk, a '20 with 1,805 miles on it. That's in eight months, and I feel bad about it just sitting.
It was bought as a fun replacement/alternative to a '14 Ram 1500, a truly boring but practical all-weather beater car, now with about 22,500 miles on it.

With the sales paperwork in front of me, seller's remorse is really setting in. Maybe the 1500 will fit in the garage, and it could be cocooned until I get tired of the 'Hawk? Or wrap it around a tree. That wouldn't cut down on vehicles, but I'd feel less bad about the 1500 sitting.

And no, I'm not selling the 1500. Couldn't replace it, since I don't care for the new design.

So far the 'Hawk hasn't even been driven in rain, but my fear is that with it's wide tires it won't be all that good when traversing some six inches of slush, that sometimes collect between the lanes, when going to pass someone. Yes, I've started looking for narrower wheels for winter use.

So what would you suggest, and more importantly, why?

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Keep the Hawk, keep it away from the muck of winter, but a used low miles 4Runner as your daily for winters muck, their great in the snow and last forever as long as you keep the oil changed every 3-4000 max

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #3
Ha, you want me to add yet another one? No thanks, the 1500 works fine for winter use.
And if I don't drive the 'Hawk in the winter it'd just be competing with the Challenger for the dry driving season.
As fun as the 'Hawk is, I like the Challenger even more.

Either the 'Hawk stays and becomes the year around beater car, or it gets sold. On Tuesday.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Ha, you want me to add yet another one? No thanks, the 1500 works fine for winter use.
And if I don't drive the 'Hawk in the winter it'd just be competing with the Challenger for the dry driving season.
As fun as the 'Hawk is, I like the Challenger even more.

Either the 'Hawk stays and becomes the year around beater car, or it gets sold. On Tuesday.

Myself, I couldn't see putting one of these fine vehicles through the slop, slush and salt of a winter. At least here in Michigan. I'd rather sell it to someone who would be able to take care of it and keep it clean. These are not beater cars. Maybe I'm too attached to my vehicle. My .02.

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #5
Thankfully, while they do use salt here, things really don't rust.
If going to Colorado it's a different story. They use that evil magnesium chloride.

Besides, now that my girlfriend traded her beater (a Porsche Macan Turbo) for a Trackhawk, we'll have one that'll get driven in salt no matter what. So why not both?

Don't sell it, but don't drive it, isn't really an option for me.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Based on what you said, sell it. Already have a beater car and don't want Trackhawk used as a beater. Already have the Challenger and like it better than the Trackhawk. Not sure where it fits for you? Girlfriend has one now, so if you feel the urge you can drive hers?

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Based on what you said, sell it. Already have a beater car and don't want Trackhawk used as a beater. Already have the Challenger and like it better than the Trackhawk. Not sure where it fits for you? Girlfriend has one now, so if you feel the urge you can drive hers?
We need him to buy more taxis not get rid of his 4 doors, he is slowly being converted to the taxi gang without even knowing it. 😝

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #8
Not quite, Hellcatfcp. She thinks that I should keep the 'Hawk and sell the 1500, and that I can use her pickup when/if I need something with a bed. So I asked if I can drive her 'Hawk if I wanted to. Nope.
First time ever I couldn't drive anything of hers. Go figure.

And I don't mind using the 'Hawk as a beater. What I don't care for is the wide tires. But that's easy to fix.
Another drawback is the short wheelbase compared to the 1500, making it a bit trickier to recuperate when ending up going sideways.

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #9
We need him to buy more taxis not get rid of his 4 doors, he is slowly being converted to the taxi gang without even knowing it. 😝
Hey, at least these two 4-doors are parked under a roof. That's more than ChargerChallenger can claim.

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
A friend of mine had a TrackHawk; a RedEye; a 2500 w/Cummins and a Wrangler. All new or very late model. Loved the TrackHawk but really couldn't drive everything and got tired of managing the maintenance; registrations and insurance on all of them. Decided the TrackHawk was a mistake and got rid of it. You sound like in a similar boat. I'd sell it...

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #11
Loved the TrackHawk but really couldn't drive everything and got tired of managing the maintenance... You sound like in a similar boat. I'd sell it...
Yeah, it's a maintenance thing, too. From as simple as having to put a charger on the battery ever so often, to oil changes.
While keeping the 'Hawk would almost require getting new tires and wheels for winter usage, the 1500 will need new tires because of age very soon. If I park it, the old tires can remain on there.

I'm halfway to filling up a second 55-gallon drum with waste oil this summer. It would be nice to drive more and maintain less.
And yes, it's a completely self induced problem.

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #12
Alright, the 'Hawk's future looks a bit brighter. Found some suitable skinnier wheels, and several tire choices.
And the 1500 will fit in the garage once I throw my girlfriend's little tractor out of there.

Still saying it shouldn't be driven in snow? If so, why is there a "snow" setting for the transfer case?

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Sell the Ram and the Trackhawk for the TRX and wouldn’t look back one second on that decision:geek:

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Sell the Ram and the Trackhawk for the TRX and wouldn’t look back one second on that decision:geek:
Big brain plays, I second this @Jimmy N.

2 birds one stone, truck + hellcat engine

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Hey, at least these two 4-doors are parked under a roof. That's more than ChargerChallenger can claim.
Well there's a reason dealerships have showrooms.

@ChargerChallenger you know what you have to do.

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #16
Not.
If the TRX looked like my measly V6 1500, I might have given it some thought. For about two seconds.
One reason I like the 'Hawk is that nobody expects it to be anything but yet another little 'wagon. Especially since the badging fell off.

Besides, much of the appeal with my Ram is that it's a puny engine so the oil warms up somewhat quickly.
That's another one against the 'Hawk...I'm not likely to fire it up only to go to the post office. Not without feeling bad about it anyway, since that's less than four miles.

Now I'll take some time off and go drive another neglected vehicle. If I remember how to shift its 18-speed, that is.

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #17
No, I don't want to sell it. Maybe I should, but I definitely don't want to.

Also, I only have six Unimogs...but at least they're 2-doors.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Not.
If the TRX looked like my measly V6 1500, I might have given it some thought. For about two seconds.
One reason I like the 'Hawk is that nobody expects it to be anything but yet another little 'wagon. Especially since the badging fell off.

Besides, much of the appeal with my Ram is that it's a puny engine so the oil warms up somewhat quickly.
That's another one against the 'Hawk...I'm not likely to fire it up only to go to the post office. Not without feeling bad about it anyway, since that's less than four miles.

Now I'll take some time off and go drive another neglected vehicle. If I remember how to shift its 18-speed, that is.
If you buy the trx I'll help you turn it into a measly v6. Problem solved.

OP
Jimmy N.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thread Starter #19
You 4-door guys think strangely.
I want the look of the V6, and wouldn't mind the power of the TRX. Much.

A pickup that looks like a TRX and runs like a V6 would be as odd as an Ecodiesel.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
You 4-door guys think strangely.
I want the look of the V6, and wouldn't mind the power of the TRX. Much.

A pickup that looks like a TRX and runs like a V6 would be as odd as an Ecodiesel.
The first part is what I was gonna help you do, not the second part 😂😂😂