Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

The RF Lockout Is Done, What's Next?

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #161
There's only so much you can do to prevent theft. I'm enjoying my Charger and hope that it doesn't get stolen. If they want it, it will be gone.

I just can't worry about this shit anymore.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
They can still mimic your key if they capture the signal
Yep. Make sure you religiously use a faraday key pouch the correct way otherwise the RF Lockout exercise was for naught.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I'm not following on this. I thought nearly all thefts were from someone accessing the vehicle, erasing assigned fobs, and programming new ones.

How are fobs being cloned that a faraday pouch prevents and how often does that happen?

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I'm not following on this. I thought nearly all thefts were from someone accessing the vehicle, erasing assigned fobs, and programming new ones.

How are fobs being cloned that a faraday pouch prevents and how often does that happen?
🐬🐬🐬🐬

Keith Richards

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Windsor
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody - 2016 HC 6 -spd
A Dodge tech was telling me about a product that replaced the OBD-II port with a Y type deal that left a non communicating port in the usual place and hid the real one up behind the dash? Sorry if already talked about in this thread, anyone know what that is and if it is good?

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #166

I was under the impression that the rf hub lock down made it so it couldn't be reprogrammed for any more keys?

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I was under the impression that the rf hub lock down made it so it couldn't be reprogrammed for any more keys?
My impression as well…

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Yes, RF hub lockdown prevents new keys from being programmed. I'm not sure what a faraday pouch does? Maybe someone's saying they're capturing the signal from your key and "cloning" it allowing them to use their cloned fob to operate the car? That seems a bit far fetched to me and while technically possible I'm curious how prevalent that actually is.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #169
Yes, RF hub lockdown prevents new keys from being programmed. I'm not sure what a faraday pouch does? Maybe someone's saying they're capturing the signal from your key and "cloning" it allowing them to use their cloned fob to operate the car? That seems a bit far fetched to me and while technically possible I'm curious how prevalent that actually is.
Faraday is supposed to contain the signal from getting transmitted, if I understand it correctly.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Seems as soon as you take it out to unlock the car the would be thief could just snag the signal right then if that's what's happening?

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #171
Seems as soon as you take it out to unlock the car the would be thief could just snag the signal right then if that's what's happening?
Oh no. You have to point it out the end of the bag and close it back up.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Huh?

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #173
Member ID
Reactions
City
Atlanta
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Durango SRT
I have CompuStar, Igla and Drone Mobile and destroyer plate after being stolen and recovered in October… It was a textbook, ODB port/tear all the wires out and damaged the interior… So now I have all of that… including stickers on the windows. Two nights ago, they broke again the alarm sounded. Drone alerted me and I was able to call 911…it was eight min between the Drone alert and the police arriving and they saw the car speed away and another jump the fine into the back yard. They broke back window which triggered the alarm and then the unplugged the radio under the dash. I’m guessing they were trying to figure out how to clone the key, but couldn’t because of the Igla… my window was repaired and the radio is now reconnected… Now, what do I need to do? technically, I think everything worked as they should… But I have a feeling they’ll be back, so what’s next?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
You just unzip the end and unlock your car.
I'm not following.

I have CompuStar, Igla and Drone Mobile and destroyer plate after being stolen and recovered in October… It was a textbook, ODB port/tear all the wires out and damaged the interior… So now I have all of that… including stickers on the windows. Two nights ago, they broke again the alarm sounded. Drone alerted me and I was able to call 911…it was eight min between the Drone alert and the police arriving and they saw the car speed away and another jump the fine into the back yard. They broke back window which triggered the alarm and then the unplugged the radio under the dash. I’m guessing they were trying to figure out how to clone the key, but couldn’t because of the Igla… my window was repaired and the radio is now reconnected… Now, what do I need to do? technically, I think everything worked as they should… But I have a feeling they’ll be back, so what’s next?
A shotgun.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #176

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Not sure what you're saying? That lets the signal out yes?

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #179
I've never heard of just peaking the FOB out of the faraday pouch when opening or starting the car.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
I was given this crap for my birthday. We use the faraday box but I'm not carrying around a pouch.

I don't know you're supposed to peek the fob out of it. I'm just being retarded tonight.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I guess my point is, as soon as you let the signal out of the bag a thief can capture it. You have to let the signal out to open the car. So not sure how that helps. Having the fobs away from the car, or in a signal blocking box, when at home probably has some merit as it would prevent someone running an amplifier up to your window or something and getting a signal to the vehicle. I'd think that only useful if you park outside though and not in a locked garage.

I'd still like to know how common signal cloning is. I think that takes much more specialized or home made equipment vs the stuff they're doing to copy a fob from the STAR port in the car.