Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Stellantis Not Buying Back An Unsafe Scat Pack

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
what a nightmare for the customer :mad:. shouldn't be that big of a deal - Lemon Law?

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
what a nightmare for the customer :mad:. shouldn't be that big of a deal - Lemon Law?
Depends on the state.

Many use the BBB but Stellantis isn't part of that so you have to hire an attorney.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Depends on the state.

Many use the BBB but Stellantis isn't part of that so you have to hire an attorney.
NYS..has a consumer friendly lemon law...that said..an experienced attorney in these matters...is always a plus..;)

06SRT10NR

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Knobnation
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat M6
that brings back a long, drawnout, painful, 14+ month u-connect nightmare... right down to the noone's above me, do it my way or go fuck youself attitude. and that was just for a radio. not long after the smelly frog bastards too over

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I’m so done with Dodge.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
NYS..has a consumer friendly lemon law...that said..an experienced attorney in these matters...is always a plus..;)
We've had to lemon law 2 cars since 2000. 1 in Maryland and another in Florida.

We were able to use BBB each time. You just have to follow their instructions and timeline. It went smoothly each time for us.

Now the manufacturers and the dealers will try to screw you around so that you will miss certain filing deadlines with lies and fake trades. Don't listen to them.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I will try to update this later with more details & my thoughts/observations, but I was offered a buyback by Dodge the week before T'giving. After 1 last (ridiculous) round with Jenkins Dodge (what bloodsucking fuckers they are) I accepted T'giving week & was told it would all be done by mid-Dec. It took till 2/15 to complete the process, surrender the DDSRT & get my check !

Keep in mind, I had not even mentioned buyback, they came forward with it and approached me !

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
Thanks to Butter and friends, Tim K got wind of this and is making it right.

The guy this happened to has a thread about it over at challengertalk.com and actually had Tim K's office call him today, on a Sunday even.

Demon Dan

Member ID
Reactions
City
San Pedro
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Thanks to Butter and friends, Tim K got wind of this and is making it right.

The guy this happened to has a thread about it over at challengertalk.com and actually had Tim K's office call him today, on a Sunday even.
I don't care what anyone says.....Tim K is a good guy!! Name another major company CEO who gets personally involved in these types of issues. I'll wait.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #11
I don't care what anyone says.....Tim K is a good guy!! Name another major company CEO who gets personally involved in these types of issues. I'll wait.
Why do they have these pos people working for them?

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Why do they have these pos people working for them?
Some things I observed going thru the process:
  1. they are one of the few co's. that do not participate in the BBB program (a BIG red flag IMO), thus adding to the load on their end
  2. they are wildly understaffed in this area (they bought back ~11k cars last year)
  3. most of the CS and even higher level ppl have very little authority to step outside the constraints/limitations imposed on them from corporate
  4. the process itself and all the different steps/departments involved is a bureaucratic nightmare and needs a complete overhaul - for example (using my case), it took from T-giving week till Christmas week for them to get me the final amount of the buyback, I accepted that day, the check was cut on 1/3/24 BUT it took until 2/16 to actually arrange the surrender of the car (and me to get the check)
  5. lastly (but perhaps most importantly) other than the very top (like TK or the mystery 'area managers' ) the corp folks have ZERO clout with the dealers !!!! They cannot demand dealers fix a car, submit any paperwork or even 'host' a surrender ! Hosting the surrender means allowing the Dodge rep. to have an office for 30 min to complete the paperwork & parking the car somewhere for 10 - 14 days till Dodge sends a transport for it. In my case, that too almost 3 weeks to get done and involvement with 2 corp teams + the area manager because NONE of the local dealers (Jenkins, Plaza, Philips, Dade City) would host the buyback. They finally got the Brooksville store to agree & that's where it finally occurred. I'm not sure how things got this way as it used to be the dealers were somewhat 'beholden' to corporate & stepped up when told to (or else faced serious allotment & incentive issues).
IMO, the whole independent dealers thing needs to be burned to the ground and rebuilt. It's a concept from the 30's like unions that made sense at the time, but no longer serves a useful function. The days of the small, home town dealer are gone & you now have these giant dealer groups running the show - it's the tail wagging the dog.

Last edited:
OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #13
Somethings I observed going thru the process:
  1. they are one of the few co's. that do not participate in the BBB program (a BIG red flag IMO), thus adding to the load on their end
  2. they are wildly understaffed in this area (they bought back ~11k cars last year)
  3. most of the CS and even higher level ppl have very little authority to step outside the constraints/limitations imposed on them from corporate
  4. the process itself and all the different steps/departments involved is a bureaucratic nightmare and needs a complete overhaul - for example (using my case), it took from T-giving week till Christmas week for them to get me the final amount of the buyback, I accepted that day, the check was cut on 1/3/24 BUT it took until 2/16 to actually arrange the surrender of the car (and me to get the check)
  5. lastly (but perhaps most importantly) other than the very top (like TK or the mystery 'area managers' ) the corp folks have ZERO clout with the dealers !!!! They cannot demand dealers fix a car, submit any paperwork or even 'host' a surrender ! Hosting the surrender means allowing the Dodge rep. to have an office for 30 min to complete the paperwork & parking the car somewhere for 10 - 14 days till Dodge sends a transport for it. In my case, that too almost 3 weeks to get done and involvement with 2 corp teams + the area manager because NONE of the local dealers (Jenkins, Plaza, Philips, Dade City) would host the buyback. They finally got the Brooksville store to agree & that's where it finally occurred. I'm not sure how things got this way as it used to be the dealers were somewhat 'beholden' to corporate & stepped up when told to (or else faced serious allotment & incentive issues).
IMO, the whole independent dealers thing needs to be burned to the ground and rebuilt. It's a concept from the 30's like unions that made sense at the time, but no longer serves a useful function. The days of the small, home town dealer are gone & you now have these giant dealer groups running the show - it's the tail wagging the dog.
I noticed no BBB affiliation. They're screwed up.

Member ID
Reactions
City
The Triad
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Dodge Demon 170
It shouldn't take the CEO of Dodge to fix a simple buy back but I guess we'll keep collecting W's for the Brotherhood:ROFLMAO:

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
It shouldn't take the CEO of Dodge to fix a simple buy back but I guess we'll keep collecting W's for the Brotherhood:ROFLMAO:
As I said, the entire process needs re-engineering, beginning with their refusal to work with the BBB.

There is a huge disconnect (or they simply don't care any longer) between corporate, the dealers & the customer. Dodge put up & promoted the Power Finder Pages & says go get 'em, but dealers (at least the ones here) only want to service cars they sold (and got their ADM +++ on).

As I moved thru the process more than 1 player lamented:
1. we are told to tell the customer each step will only take about 2 weeks, but it's always at least twice that. The entire process takes 3 - 4 months (that's just crazy), longer if there are 'disputed items'. This causes angst on both sides and could be avoided if they were allowed to be honest up front with the estimate of how long it's likely to take !
2. there are areas (mine is 1 of them) where the dealers are notoriously difficult to work with! Sooooo - this implies colusion between the dealers (which was apparently in full view at the 170 reveal) + corporate KNOWS which dealers are ass yet nothing is done to address either issue. The $64M question is why ??

Member ID
Reactions
City
The Triad
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Dodge Demon 170
As I said, the entire process needs re-engineering, beginning with their refusal to work with the BBB.

There is a huge disconnect (or they simply don't care any longer) between corporate, the dealers & the customer. Dodge put up & promoted the Power Finder Pages & says go get 'em, but dealers (at least the ones here) only want to service cars they sold (and got their ADM +++ on).

As I moved thru the process more than 1 player lamented:
1. we are told to tell the customer each step will only take about 2 weeks, but it's always at least twice that. The entire process takes 3 - 4 months (that's just crazy), longer if there are 'disputed items'. This causes angst on both sides and could be avoided if they were allowed to be honest up front with the estimate of how long it's likely to take !
2. there are areas (mine is 1 of them) where the dealers are notoriously difficult to work with! Sooooo - this implies colusion between the dealers (which was apparently in full view at the 170 reveal) + corporate KNOWS which dealers are ass yet nothing is done to address either issue. The $64M question is why ??
Interesting. I remember when I had a buy back with GM back in 2004, the process was quick. But it seems with Dodge, I've had to go over the head of those departments multiple times to even get people claims approved even for a Demon that had issues

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #17
Interesting. I remember when I had a buy back with GM back in 2004, the process was quick. But it seems with Dodge, I've had to go over the head of those departments multiple times to even get people claims approved even for a Demon that had issues
Our lemon law experience with GM for a 2016 Cadillac wasn't a good experience. Between GM and the dealer they really tried to rip us off.

Offering fake trades, challenging the validity of our claims even though the attempted service work was done at their dealer service department and just being real assholes like it was our fault that the car was 100% unsafe to drive.

Thankfully BBB was able to get it done and get us our money back.

I'm running out of manufacturers that I would consider buying from these days.

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
Some things I observed going thru the process:
they are one of the few co's. that do not participate in the BBB program (a BIG red flag IMO), thus adding to the load on their end
The BBB and Yelp pretend to be consumer protectors and review sites (respectively) but in reality they badger businesses to pay to become "verified" partners. Don't pay and see what happens to your "ratings".

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #19
The BBB and Yelp pretend to be consumer protectors and review sites (respectively) but in reality they badger businesses to pay to become "verified" partners. Don't pay and see what happens to your "ratings".
I don't belong to either one of their verified programs and never will.

The lemon law program they have worked really well for us. I'm not sure who is paying them but I don't think it was us.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I don't belong to either one of their verified programs and never will.

The lemon law program they have worked really well for us. I'm not sure who is paying them but I don't think it was us.
2nd that, I LL'd 2 cars thru them and it was a smooth & relatively painless process. Dodge by comparison was a monkey f@#king a football !!