Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Share your winter storage tips

Member ID
Reactions
City
Gilbert
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
My winter advice in Phoenix - take the hellcat out more often... will be nice having IATs lower than 160

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Oh, everything they said above. I look forward to the period after the Holidays, its cold out and it is snowing. I take that time to clay-polish-polish more and polish more until I cannot see one streak or line anywhere, then wax it, with Griots Best of Show Wax. I use their method of doing the whole car, letting it dry for hours, then use their Speed Shine to remove and buff. Get under it and clean everything AGAIN. Take off the wheels and inspect, and inspect everything again, and clean everything even the wheel wells get cleaned and shined with the best Griots Garage has. Detail that engine bay if you have not already. Wipe that interior down and make sure the damn windows are cleaned on the inside, vacuum and detail. I take the tires and while flat on the floor apply generous amounts of No Touch tire dressing. Also, while those wheels are off, clean the back barrel that is hard to do while on the car. What else? Make sure you don't leave anything in the trunk, it's extra weight. Oh, and pull that little air pump out and add it to your previous air pumps contained in your previous SRT's over on the shelf.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
One more thing. When finished cover it so you don't have to look at it until it is time to drive it again.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Oh, everything they said above. I look forward to the period after the Holidays, its cold out and it is snowing. I take that time to clay-polish-polish more and polish more until I cannot see one streak or line anywhere, then wax it, with Griots Best of Show Wax. I use their method of doing the whole car, letting it dry for hours, then use their Speed Shine to remove and buff. Get under it and clean everything AGAIN. Take off the wheels and inspect, and inspect everything again, and clean everything even the wheel wells get cleaned and shined with the best Griots Garage has. Detail that engine bay if you have not already. Wipe that interior down and make sure the damn windows are cleaned on the inside, vacuum and detail. I take the tires and while flat on the floor apply generous amounts of No Touch tire dressing. Also, while those wheels are off, clean the back barrel that is hard to do while on the car. What else? Make sure you don't leave anything in the trunk, it's extra weight. Oh, and pull that little air pump out and add it to your previous air pumps contained in your previous SRT's over on the shelf.
What is your remedy for a flat if you ditch the pump? Fix a flat large size? Curious where people store those so they don’t become rolling missiles.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I prefer Safety Seal plugs and a decent compressor. Or I carry a full size spare.
Breaking down a tire with goop in it is miserable.

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
Fresh oil change
Tires set at 42psi
Full tank of gas with stabalizer
Battery tender hooked to the car

And lots of whiskey as I cuss winter!
I just put the car away today for winter. Who has whiskey?

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I prefer Safety Seal plugs and a decent compressor. Or I carry a full size spare.
Breaking down a tire with goop in it is miserable.
I am sure it is a miserable experience. I’m not taking out the woofers though as my car is staying stock. My hearing sucks anyway so there is no logic to my reasoning other than staying stock.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I am sure it is a miserable experience. I’m not taking out the woofers though as my car is staying stock. My hearing sucks anyway so there is no logic to my reasoning other than staying stock.
Just cleaning off the tire machine afterwards is no fun, but to then also have to get the goop out of the tire to be able to repair it is a bit of a chore.
I wouldn't be surprised if tire stores charge extra for doing it.

By the way, mine came with the (to me) useless HK system, too, and it's still in there taking up space and adding weight. Maybe this winter that'll change.

Inrfire

Member ID
Reactions
City
Omaha
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I just put the car away today for winter. Who has whiskey?
Wish I could have as much fun driving my snowblower!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Wish I could have as much fun driving my snowblower!

That's easy. You just need a more fun snow blower. DSCN0104.JPG

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Just cleaning off the tire machine afterwards is no fun, but to then also have to get the goop out of the tire to be able to repair it is a bit of a chore.
I wouldn't be surprised if tire stores charge extra for doing it.

By the way, mine came with the (to me) useless HK system, too, and it's still in there taking up space and adding weight. Maybe this winter that'll change.
Weight over the rear end is not necessarily a bad thing. Full size spare is way more I bet.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
That's a good point, Jungle Cat. Since I'm more interested in handling than pure acceleration, getting better weight distribution is a good thing.
But even though it's in the correct place, it still bugs me that I'm hauling useless weight around.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Mine will sit without starting it and be started without priming it. These cars have been designed like this for decades to start up and fast idle to get everything lubricated quickly. Priming it does not turn the motor over fast enough to get oil on the cylinder walls. I worry about turning the motor over without starting if indeed the metal to metal surfaces are indeed dry. Also starting it periodically for a short duration without getting things up to operating temperatures creates condensation that will collect in the exhaust system but the system is not hot enough for it to evaporate.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
What is your remedy for a flat if you ditch the pump? Fix a flat large size? Curious where people store those so they don’t become rolling missiles.
AAA

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle

Proud American

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Even in Buffalo there are always a few nice winter days to go for a drive. I take 'em whenever I get 'em!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Bet you wanted deeper that day. NOT!
I actually did. The only reason the snow blower was used that day was to pull out the little tractor...used because there really wasn't enough snow.
With R4 tires, that tractor has less traction than the Challenger on its UHP summer tires.

But in a way, making that snow blower setup has worked quite well. We really haven't had much snow since I finished it.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States