Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

OLD MEN..GREY BEARDS..AND PARTS COUNTERS

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
After hearing those stories I don't feel so bad. Went into one of the chain stores for plugs for my 1500 Ram and the dumbest question I got was "You realize this takes 16 plugs right?" :rolleyes:Duh...Yes. Now just get the damn plugs.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
After hearing those stories I don't feel so bad. Went into one of the chain stores for plugs for my 1500 Ram and the dumbest question I got was "You realize this takes 16 plugs right?" :rolleyes:Duh...Yes. Now just get the damn plugs.
They are just preparing you for a high total price. Not $1.00 each like plugs used to be!

OP
1971demon

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Thread Starter #23
This is just one segment of society that technology has just f*cked up beyond belief..

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Oh the change of times are so close yet so far away. These kids will be telling stories years from now how these ICE AGE old farts used to come in looking for the ancient and outdated parts for their archaic vehicles. And the young kid standing there will look bewildered since all he knows to sell is CAR BATTERIES, Battery Chargers, Windshield Wiper Blades, Washer Fluid, Fuses, car wash, car wax, stickers, interior cleaners....etc The Electric Car will be the destroyer of many many many businesses relying on the ICE Age.

OP
1971demon

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Thread Starter #25
Oh it ain’t easy getting old lol between the body talking to you and just like the movie Grumpy Old Men it’s a fact. And for sure Computers are the go to Idiots of the world since everyone relies on it. Back in the day 1982 I came out of High School and worked the parts counter and many other tasks as well. But learned very quickly you had to be smarter than the parts books. And can’t believe the idiots behind the parts counters these days since they just don’t get it. Uhm you have to be smarter than the computer but actually they are dumber than the computer.
Well when I got outta HS...1971..every parts guy knew what everything was..and if you needed a new belt..or an obscure hose..you handed him the old one..and viola... he matched it up with something that would work...I miss that dynamic as much as I miss my hair...

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
They are just preparing you for a high total price. Not $1.00 each like plugs used to be!
Yea no shit. Certainly wasn't $1.00 each. Try about $8.00 a plug. It was then that I realized how long it had been since I had bought plugs.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I buy original equipment NGK plugs for my 5.7 over the Internet for less than $5.00/ea

OP
1971demon

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Thread Starter #28
Talk about prices....I was a junior in HS...it was 1970...I had a 69 roadrunner...we had a speed shop in town called Sport and Custom...They had a sale on Headman headers...39.95...I went from stock exhaust to headers and Thrush mufflers that bolted right to the header flange...that was the whole system...and Sunoco 260,,44.9 a gallon...Sunday I filled my Demon with 100 octane...$167.90...things are different:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
I buy original equipment NGK plugs for my 5.7 over the Internet for less than $5.00/ea
Doesn't surprise me. I didn't shop around and just needed them "now" because I wanted to change them that day.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
Reciently acquired from San Lenadro I see :unsure::whistle:
Day I got her... last week for a good deal. :LOL:

Image-1-24 copy 5.jpg

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I’m restoring....slowly...a 1952 GMC 9430 one ton pickup and have learned to never go for parts without part numbers. Its not on the computer and unless their willing to pull the dusty olds parts manual out from under the counter they have no idea what to do. I had one kid arguing that the part number I had was not correct because it wasn’t on the computer. I had him search Rock Auto to prove it was the correct distributor for the truck.
This was the day it was put in the shop.
377AEEC3-506D-4D06-A264-CBAEDDC5AA87.jpeg

Yoguard

Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat
Well when I got outta HS...1971..every parts guy knew what everything was..and if you needed a new belt..or an obscure hose..you handed him the old one..and viola... he matched it up with something that would work...I miss that dynamic as much as I miss my hair...
Hey ole boy, you know how it is... hair today, gone tomorrow.... a lot of tomorrows on here... :sneaky:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I get it...its freakin crazy...first the kids aren't knowledgeable ..and the training they get is terrible...but what gets me the most is....they walk around the store all friggin day..you would think they would make mental notes as to where things are...Hell...I could teach a monkey to do that shit...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Yes....exactly. There was a good display of Autolite plugs on the endcap right behind the guy at the counter. The numbers were pointing out. He spends however many hours per day there handing out parts. Not a far stretch to think that he might know where and what a few things are. But at the end when he told me that I would need to go to a motorcycle parts store to get them, I just laughed because it was all I could do to keep from losing my cool at the stupidity of that line of thought.

HarleyHetz

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
ARLINGTON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Sublime Widebody Challenger Hellcat
Can you imagine asking him to take it up or down one heat range, he would still be looking or in a strait vest in a padded cell.
That would imply that he cared...

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I'd had to make my way behind a few parts counters to find what I needed... I was even asked if I worked at a different location since I knew my way around so well. It helps when you know what you're looking for and not just a 6 digit number I suppose.

For all of you old dogs out there who want to growl at the pups... I have an alternate approach. Ask them to take their phone back out (since they put it away 2 seconds before you got to the counter) and have them look up what you're looking for. We all use the internet, that's how we know what brakes will reduce the brake dust. 2 min on the internet and the kid would have his part number and be able to hook you up. Even just going to autozone.com and looking up a '16 HC and clicking on performance brakes takes you right to the Z23s. At which point they would say that they don't have them in stock and can order them for you.

Half of the time the old guys at NAPA are so stuck in their ways, they have no idea what works or doesn't anymore... so you have to verify everything anyway :p

And let's face it, most guys with a GEN3 HEMI aren't changing their own plugs... and they only know it has 16 of them if they care to look at the receipt. A small percentage of us actually run 100k on a car, and an even smaller percentage of us need to run a plug 2 steps colder ;)

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Awe, Thrush mufflers....
1592313855937.jpeg

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I've been thinking about changing out my brembo pads.
Which do I want? The 23s or 26s?

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
Probably the 26's but I know many have used both and were happy.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
The pad material is the same. The 23s have a rubberized backing and are potentially quieter. The 26s have metal backing and are said to better handle high heat. I have had the 26s on for 9k and they are very quiet.