Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Oil catch cans

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I have the UPR fender mount catch can and crankcase breather(oil cap) combo and I think they are both quality pieces and my car seems happy with them on. Easy install, I let dealer empty it on oil changes and they commented on what a quality unit...
Same here on both Hellcats. Very happy.

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
Are catch cans really necessary on these engines ? From everything I've read about and the minimal amount of oil and condensation they capture. It seems like overkill with the fuel constantly washing the intake valves, so intake valve coking isn't happening and with the minimal amount of oil that I hear is captured in the can. It can't really be changing the octane level of the fuel much, or causing a decrease in power. Can you explain why the catch can debate or is it just for piece of mind and it looks cool ? Or is it because everyone else is putting them on?

On my procharged 5.3L engine. I have the intercooler mounted behind the grill. The intake temperatures are near ambient temp. I mounted my catch can away from the heat with cool air flowing around it and it catches a tremendous amount of condensation mixed with the oil. But then again the motor is direct injection and I am concerned about the intake valve coking. So it actually serves a purpose.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Are catch cans really necessary on these engines ? From everything I've read about and the minimal amount of oil and condensation they capture. It seems like overkill with the fuel constantly washing the intake valves, so intake valve coking isn't happening and with the minimal amount of oil that I hear is captured in the can. It can't really be changing the octane level of the fuel much, or causing a decrease in power. Can you explain why the catch can debate or is it just for piece of mind and it looks cool ? Or is it because everyone else is putting them on?

On my procharged 5.3L engine. I have the intercooler mounted behind the grill. The intake temperatures are near ambient temp. I mounted my catch can away from the heat with cool air flowing around it and it catches a tremendous amount of condensation mixed with the oil. But then again the motor is direct injection and I am concerned about the intake valve coking. So it actually serves a purpose.

My take on it is this, yes.

Why, because every little bit of oil you keep from recirculating into the combustion chamber improves your ping resistance (essentially increasing octane). (oil reduces octane, increases ping/STK)

You wouldn't run Regular fuel in your HC would you?

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye

Why, because every little bit of oil you keep from recirculating into the combustion chamber improves your ping resistance (essentially increasing octane). (oil reduces octane, increases ping/STK)

Hell yeah they are but, you can run without one if you like.

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher

Let's say you get 18 MPG in 2,000 miles that's around 111 gallons of fuel. From what I've read ppl are only catching a couple tablespoons or less of oil every 2,000 miles. I can't fathom that a ratio of 1776:1 would have an effect on performance. Hell ... even a two stroke motor runs with a 50:1 or so. What would that insignificant amount of oil in the fuel change the Octane to 0.00001% ? and If the catch can placement doesn't catch the condensation what good does it do ?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Let's say you get 18 MPG in 2,000 miles that's around 111 gallons of fuel. From what I've read ppl are only catching a couple tablespoons or less of oil every 2,000 miles. I can't fathom that a ratio of 1776:1 would have an effect on performance. Hell ... even a two stroke motor runs with a 50:1 or so. What would that insignificant amount of oil in the fuel change the Octane to 0.00001% ? and If the catch can placement doesn't catch the condensation what good does it do ?

Valid point, from that perspective.

Coming at it from the other direction, I've seen these blowers opened up, and while in neither case was the case "dry", the case that I saw opened up (mine) was cleaner than the blower without the catch can.

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger

This was my response on the last time this subject came up.
I have a 2015 and my catch can has collected very, very small amounts of oil. Honestly I don't think it was worth the investment. I was just sick and tired of people freaking out when I'd open my hood and all I'd hear is..."Dude you better get a catch can!" "What no catch can, you are nuts"...etc...

So yea I got a freaking catch can, so shut yer piehole.

I put more value on the fact I don't have to hear people griping about me not having the stupid thing, over what actual value it has on the engine's life.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

Rcasa20

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Indian Shores
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye Widebody (sold)
Surprisingly...in a couple of weeks...I'll be 68..I take no prescription meds whatsoever...never did...
I was born in 1971 and every time I see ur handle now it reminds me that I’m turning 50 later this year! And yes, I just started taking cholesterol meds even though I eat healthy and workout cardio and weights at least 4x a week EACH. Can’t outrun genetics!!!

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
Every time I’ve read a post by someone who installed a driver’s side can, they say it doesn’t catch anything.
that's me :rolleyes: Passenger side is all one needs; I have never had so much a sign of mist or droplet in my driver side can

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
One and done. Might as well make it look good while you’re at it.... 5B0CC386-BD9F-4D20-BAB4-99307F3FD098.jpeg

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
What are you going to do with the car? Drive on weekends? Drag race daily? Daily drive 60 miles each way through stop and go traffic? That plays a role, at least to me, in whether it is "necessary" to have one.

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Redeye Widebody Jailbreak
Eh, why would anyone think they needed an OIL catch can on the CLEAN side of the PCV? o_O

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Ive converted to the Church Of Catch Can. I guess once you pass a certain amount of boost no matter the baffles or the design of the valve covers you will get some oil in the system going back into recirc... When I was cleaning out the super charger, there was oil coating a lot of components, and I only had the drivers side can. Since that was in the air charge it was 100% making its way into the chamber. Where was it coming from? Had to be passenger side. Now pushing about 18psi on a great DA day I found this…

F3F1F385-A5A1-426F-B37A-EA65EA503873.jpeg 6E78EA17-9A12-4CAC-9A6A-F169C9D21195.jpeg
First oil change on the new pulley. The above was from the passenger side. However bone dry on the driver side. 🤷🏻‍♂️

C0E78CD0-E0B1-40FA-8A23-0AA1EE6E3D2D.jpeg
Would rather have it in the can then in my chambers.

Idoru99

Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Springfield
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Redeye WB
I have the UPR fender mount catch can and crankcase breather(oil cap) combo and I think they are both quality pieces and my car seems happy with them on. Easy install, I let dealer empty it on oil changes and they commented on what a quality unit...
Just received this one for my ordered Redeye. It's sitting in a box while I wait for a car.:sneaky:

Member ID
Reactions
City
deerfield beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 redeye
I have an 2001 camaro SS and everyone said you have to have a catch can in 20 years it has caught about a 1/4" of oil.
Are these cars different?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I have an 2001 camaro SS and everyone said you have to have a catch can in 20 years it has caught about a 1/4" of oil.
Are these cars different?

Absolutely

I get that much in 1500 miles without any race weekends, somewhat more if racing.

(Standard typical diameter can)

Member ID
Reactions
City
webster
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 challenger hellcat
Same here on both Hellcats. Very happy.
Another vote here for the UPR fender mount set-up

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Is the can of choice UPR or JLT? Do their differences really matter in actual performance?

Thanks.