Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

New Personal Best

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
My best 60 was 1.55 with the 2.62 With the 3.09 it was 1.54 until the last outing and went 1.51 twice

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
My best 60 was 1.55 with the 2.62 With the 3.09 it was 1.54 until the last outing and went 1.51 twice
Thanks for the info.
The reason I don't jump on the swap is the 1.50 60' times I was getting. Now with a motor that actually has rings that seal properly that went down to 1.49.
I am still trying to figure out how that improved even more with a trans tune.🤷

OP
hellman

hellman

10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Katy
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8
Thread Starter #23
My best 60 ft time with 2.62 was 1.56. My best 60 ft time with the 3.09 is a 1.48. Even in crappy DA it still runs 1.52-1.53. Brian and I tested the 3.09 in my car first because I broke the stock diff and needed a new one. We both picked up about half a tenth average in the 60 ft alone and a tenth and half in the quarter mile. I think it was well worth the money spent. I will never go back to a 2.62 diff. The 3.09 feels better on the street as well! Right now I’m trying to figure out how much et I will drop by saving 100 lbs. some say a tenth. I don’t really believe that. Brian pulled his front seat and he might have saved a hundredth. I don’t believe these cars will even feel the loss of 50 lbs because they weigh so much to begin with. I was thinking about putting a JLT intake on my car like Brian but I’m not convinced that I will drop any ET at all over the stock intake with a K&N filter. I know he thinks it worked and the car is about 3 hundredths quicker because it’s never run better than now but he did revise the tune just a bit and that tune helped my car as well. We are about a tenth apart in time but his car is 120 pounds lighter than mine. Thoughts anyone???

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
My best 60 ft time with 2.62 was 1.56. My best 60 ft time with the 3.09 is a 1.48. Even in crappy DA it still runs 1.52-1.53. Brian and I tested the 3.09 in my car first because I broke the stock diff and needed a new one. We both picked up about half a tenth average in the 60 ft alone and a tenth and half in the quarter mile. I think it was well worth the money spent. I will never go back to a 2.62 diff. The 3.09 feels better on the street as well! Right now I’m trying to figure out how much et I will drop by saving 100 lbs. some say a tenth. I don’t really believe that. Brian pulled his front seat and he might have saved a hundredth. I don’t believe these cars will even feel the loss of 50 lbs because they weigh so much to begin with. I was thinking about putting a JLT intake on my car like Brian but I’m not convinced that I will drop any ET at all over the stock intake with a K&N filter. I know he thinks it worked and the car is about 3 hundredths quicker because it’s never run better than now but he did revise the tune just a bit and that tune helped my car as well. We are about a tenth apart in time but his car is 120 pounds lighter than mine. Thoughts anyone???
All the cars are very close in times with the same mods but every car will be slightly different. My car likes back back to runs. The best 1st pass with the 3.09's was a 10.55 so for all my testing I think a tenth is about right. As far as driving impressions, if I didn't know the gears were change would I have noticed it, I don't think I would have. I drive mine daily in the summer and put roughly 8k on it with the 2.62 and 8k with the 3.09 I have only had the Hellcat 2 years.
The intakes may only pick with a tweek in the tune like Bmason said .03. My testing same day with the stock and a JLT and stock and a legmaker the stock was faster both times. I also have the stock paper filter in it. I had run a Green filter the 1st year and Bmason tested it against the stock and found the paper was better but for the most part they were pretty even. I know people that say no filter is a tenth faster but I have tested that on 3 different cars, a 6.4, 5.7 and 6.2 and none picked up

Weight rule of thumb has always been a tenth for a 100 lbs but that is at a certain time. Just like 10hp is a tenth which would be closer to running 14's so as you go faster it takes more to get a tenth. I think @Speedy! was figuring around 30hp in the 9's to go a tenth. It could be more then a 100 lbs in the 9's to lose a tenth. Only way to test weight would be same day at the track and remove it

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I don't believe in gutting a streetcar to pick up a little et, but doing a rear seat delete & removing the passenger seat is easy out & back in to save 110 lbs. I think is worth at least 1/2 tenth.
The way I see it is when I go to the track, I want my best chance to get my best et, I'm not trying to get a track time & think it will run that on the streets to compare to because we all know a track et does not equal what it will run on the street, which I don't race on the streets anyway. I don't care to say I'm full weight at the track just like it is on the street, 2 different activities that I'm not comparing to each other.

One thing Z has said is "weight breaks parts", so does a lot of hp, but for whatever it's worth to save weight & go a little faster, I think it's worth doing when I'm at the track.

Last edited:

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I don't disagree with the gains seen by most with the gear swap.
I am more of the there is more in the car when most do the swap. I remember thinking we'll a 1.55 is all its got. Then it was 1.53, 1.51 and finally 1.50 was what I couldn't beat. Until this year the silly car ran a few 1.49's in the couple of weeks before we did a trans tune. Somehow now the best 60' is 1.46. 🤷
There is a 3.09 stock powered cat at my track. He has run a best of 10.37 once on one day. No big surprise as the weather was the big power mod that day. Then another day my car ran 10.37 3 times on the same day in similar DA. When we run on the same day I have always ran a quicker time.
He does mix in race gas and I run pump gas plus the cars weigh about the same and I definitely weigh more. LOL.
So for $2500 plus install I am in no hurry to try them out.
I spoke with Simon (PhastHemi) a few times and from his experience he figured I may gain about .02 at best in et if at all.
I also like the street manners of the 2.62.

Maybe I should swap.🤔
Everyone says it's a tenth to a tenth and a half gain. That would have put me real close to a 9.99 on stock boost. 🤔
I just can't see gains like that in my case.
Not saying you and others have not seen gains. More that those gains are not the same for everyone.

Keep up the good work and keep sharing.
Us northerners need entertainment for another couple of months.😟

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
All the cars are very close in times with the same mods but every car will be slightly different. My car likes back back to runs. The best 1st pass with the 3.09's was a 10.55 so for all my testing I think a tenth is about right. As far as driving impressions, if I didn't know the gears were change would I have noticed it, I don't think I would have. I drive mine daily in the summer and put roughly 8k on it with the 2.62 and 8k with the 3.09 I have only had the Hellcat 2 years.
The intakes may only pick with a tweek in the tune like Bmason said .03. My testing same day with the stock and a JLT and stock and a legmaker the stock was faster both times. I also have the stock paper filter in it. I had run a Green filter the 1st year and Bmason tested it against the stock and found the paper was better but for the most part they were pretty even. I know people that say no filter is a tenth faster but I have tested that on 3 different cars, a 6.4, 5.7 and 6.2 and none picked up

Weight rule of thumb has always been a tenth for a 100 lbs but that is at a certain time. Just like 10hp is a tenth which would be closer to running 14's so as you go faster it takes more to get a tenth. I think @Speedy! was figuring around 30hp in the 9's to go a tenth. It could be more then a 100 lbs in the 9's to lose a tenth. Only way to test weight would be same day at the track and remove it
I tested mine with an LMI vs stock box filter on 3 different days. The stock box always averaged better times.
I removed the filter a couple of times and I never saw the "you will gain a tenth" either.
I still run the paper filter from the dealer.
That 100 lb is a tenth rule doesn't work with our cars from the times I pulled weight at the track. I also think it's more like about .5 / 100 lbs on a stock powered Hellcat.
These rules that I can't duplicate are also why I doubt the gear debate would apply to my car. 😉

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I don't believe in gutting a streetcar to pick up a little et, but doing a rear seat delete & removing the passenger seat is easy out & back in to save 110 lbs. I think is worth at least 1/2 tenth.
The way I see it is when I go to the track, I want my best chance to get my best et, I'm not trying to get a track time & think it will run that on the streets to compare to because we all know a track et does not equal what it will run on the street, which I don't race on the streets anyway. I don't care to say I'm full weight at the track just like it is on the street, 2 different activities that I'm not comparing to each other.

One thing Z has said is "weight breaks parts", so does a lot of hp, but for whatever it's worth to save weight & go a little faster, I think it's worth doing when I'm at the track.
I leave mine alone now. I used to remove my rear seat to carry all my tires and gear to the track. Someone shared a time of mine online and I got blasted for having a gutted car.😂
Then I realized if I only remove the bottom of the rear seat then the back can lay flat and my crap will fit.
Great this should quiet the masses. Nope I ran quicker the nest week with only the 10lb seat bottom out.
Again my car is gutted. SMH
Now I don't bother and ever since I mentioned I don't even pull the floor mats. There appears to be a bunch of "it is very important to have floor mats" comments.
I give up. I do my thing and share to try to help others. Basically only on the forums.
I realize I do things a little different, that is a good thing I think.

I really enjoyed reading and watching about the weekends the 3 of you had. Nice work and Congratulations to all of you.🍻

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I leave mine alone now. I used to remove my rear seat to carry all my tires and gear to the track. Someone shared a time of mine online and I got blasted for having a gutted car.😂
Then I realized if I only remove the bottom of the rear seat then the back can lay flat and my crap will fit.
Great this should quiet the masses. Nope I ran quicker the nest week with only the 10lb seat bottom out.
Again my car is gutted. SMH
Now I don't bother and ever since I mentioned I don't even pull the floor mats. There appears to be a bunch of "it is very important to have floor mats" comments.
I give up. I do my thing and share to try to help others. Basically only on the forums.
I realize I do things a little different, that is a good thing I think.

I really enjoyed reading and watching about the weekends the 3 of you had. Nice work and Congratulations to all of you.🍻
People will always hate. I don't get it if a car comes with seat delete it is fine but if you pull the seats it isn't, it's the same thing. Bmason is putting way to much thought into it not pulling the sway bar. I feel my car lifts better when it is off. I could test it by jacking the car up and see if the suspension travels further. On my car it is only 14 lbs (chargers weigh less then challengers) and to me it doesn't drive any different with it off so I left it off at the end of the year. Not sure how that makes it a race car or whatever, lots of cars came without them

These cars are ours and you need to do what you want and not worry about what other say. If you run a great time and someone says "well you did this and that" then say "you do the same and see if you can do better". I do things for me. I would like to see if I can run 9's on stock boost with e85. I really don't care if joe blow did it with 93. I'm not out to get some kind of record. Some people go to the track with radials and try to run a 10s. Again to me what a waste when I know I can go faster with drag radials. I watched a guy make 20 passes one day and never did it. Drag radials he probably would have 1st pass. I would not have been impressed if he did being the cars will go 10's, he just did it a non productive way

Enjoy your car and do it for you

Last edited:

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
People will always hate. I don't get it if a car comes with seat delete it is fine but if you pull the seats it isn't, it's the same thing. Bmasaon is putting way to much thought into it not pulling the sway bar. I feel my car lifts better when it is off. I could test it by jacking the car up and see if the suspension travels further. On my car it is only 14 lbs (chargers weigh less then challengers) and to me it doesn't drive any different with it off so I left it off at the end of the year. Not sure how that makes it a race car or whatever, lots of cars came without them

These cars are ours and you need to do what you want and not worry about what other say. If you run a great time and someone says "well you did this and that" then say "you do the same and see if you can do better". I do things for me. I would like to see if I can run 9's on stock boost with e85. I really don't care if joe blow did it with 93. I'm not out to get some kind of record. Some people go to the track with radials and try to run a 10s. Again to me what a waste when I know I can go faster with drag radials. I watched a guy make 20 passes one day and never did it. Drag radials he probably would have 1st pass. I would not have been impressed if he did being the cars will go 10's, he just did it a non productive way

Enjoy your car and do it for you
My sway bar was out to help me with reaction time. I always stage as shallow as I can. Unfortunately I would have to leave in between the last 2 yellows. Results were a bunch of reds as well as great RT.
I removed the sway bar to see what it would change. Now I leave when the second yellow goes out. Much easier to be consistent. On the first weekend I ran 3 perfect .000 reaction times and only 1 red.
I agree the car drives fine with it out.

As far as running radials on the track that is what I did early on to learn the car. Later I had a rental and my tires did not arrive so I went anyways. The last time was after I broke my DS. My buddy asked me to go so I went. I had to leave early and so close to a ten. So I went back the weekend after to see how close I could get. The last weekend the track was open before winter so wth.
Well I did run the 10's that day. Definitely not easy to do. Probably why only 2 cars are known to have done it.
I haven't ran the radials at the track since except for 1/2 mile events. I now keep a new set of tires in stock so that I won't have to. 👍

I may pull weight out if I think it will get me a 9 on stock boost.

I enjoy hearing how everyone is running and what is done. I don't care if weight is out or not. Just share the info so we can get an idea of what is really going on.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
@moparjim
I tested the 2.62 vs 3.09 gear with the M/T 305/45/17 street R's and my car was quicker and faster with the 2.62's .
Now that I'm running the M/T 315/50/17 tires I want to test the 3.09' s again . I lost some 60 foot with them combined with the 2.62's . The up side I get way better traction off the line now with them but the height and weight are too much for the 2.62's I think .

Sent from my Armor 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Don't know about my best but can't be worse than Dodge. Dodge man,,,, if you are listening. It has taken 3 weeks to get 1 head light when ordered 2. Wrong oil cooled sent to Caliber Collision Largo, Fl. This has been a complete debacle. If this is the best, I will consider this in the future of purchasing.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
@moparjim
I tested the 2.62 vs 3.09 gear with the M/T 305/45/17 street R's and my car was quicker and faster with the 2.62's .
Now that I'm running the M/T 315/50/17 tires I want to test the 3.09' s again . I lost some 60 foot with them combined with the 2.62's . The up side I get way better traction off the line now with them but the height and weight are too much for the 2.62's I think .

I seam to remember the first time we met someone suggested the swap back would probably make you quicker.🤷
Now that the Hoosier DBR is out and a bit lighter than the M/T I may give them a try next. Our friend with the gomango cat likes them.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I seam to remember the first time we met someone suggested the swap back would probably make you quicker.
Now that the Hoosier DBR is out and a bit lighter than the M/T I may give them a try next. Our friend with the gomango cat likes them.
That's interesting to hear . I will have too look into them . Right now I'm really impressed with the 315's

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I seam to remember the first time we met someone suggested the swap back would probably make you quicker.🤷
The DBR's seem to be a good tire but being they are not DOT I can't use them at Hemi Shootout
I talked to Hoosier years ago about making a dot drag radial in a 17 that is 28" tall. They are missing a market. I have run them before on a 15 wheel and really like them

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
The DBR's seem to be a good tire but being they are not DOT I can't use them at Hemi Shootout
I talked to Hoosier years ago about making a dot drag radial in a 17 that is 28" tall. They are missing a market. I have run them before on a 15 wheel and really like them
I didn't realize they weren't DOT.
There is only one class for street cars I run in. Technically 1/2 the field isn't street legal so....😂
I saw in the video BMason was running them.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
There is only one class for street cars I run in. Technically 1/2 the field isn't street legal so....
That's the class they questioned my car because there was no passenger seat lol... Drove 500 kms ( 300 miles ) but no seat was a big question mark lol...

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
There is only one class for street cars I run in. Technically 1/2 the field isn't street legal so....😂
They are basically a radial slick

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
That's the class they questioned my car because there was no passenger seat lol... Drove 500 kms ( 300 miles ) but no seat was a big question mark lol...

Yes that's the one. You know with the cars with full cages and parachutes.🤣
Btw what are you keeping secret from me now?😂

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Yes that's the one. You know with the cars with full cages and parachutes.
Btw what are you keeping secret from me now?