Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Lithium ion battery for the Hellcat

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Is this the one that swapped the gauges? 😡 iykyk
I must have gotten lucky with both my hellcats. I have not experienced the swapped gauges.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Is this the one that swapped the gauges? 😡 iykyk
My gauges were already swapped:rolleyes: It either happened from the tazer, or back when I did the v86 recall.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
My gauges were already swapped:rolleyes: It either happened from the tazer, or back when I did the v86 recall.
I dont remember anything changing after the v86 recall

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
tazer didnt do it
V86 didnt do it

mine happened after a uconnect update

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
So what is the point for an update? Everything seems to work fine

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I dont remember anything changing after the v86 recall
They flashed my pcm for it. Made a point to get it done before any tuning.

So what is the point for an update? Everything seems to work fine
??? I can't tell any difference except it completely shuts down now instead of trying to run or connect to something with the car off (and the fob far away)

Edit; I disconnected all bluetooth devices as well trying to make sure that wasn't it, but didn't fix till the update.

Last edited:

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
This threads gone sideways.. Lithium batteries anyone?? :LOL:

Ricky Racer

U.S. Army Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vancouver
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018, dodge demon
I have a Darrel Cox lithium battery that I purchased last August and yesterday it was dead, showing 6.3 volts! Wouldn’t even open the trunk. I panicked because it’s opening day at my local track today, anyway my 4 amp battery tender didn’t like the low voltage and would not charge it so I put the 6 amp charger Darrel Cox send with the battery on and it worked, it brought the voltage back up to around 12 volts and then shut off, so I switched back to the 4 amp battery tender and this time it worked, it charged the battery to about 14.6 volts and then shut off, took about two hours. Anyway everything seems good, showing 14.2 volts while driving. With a lead acid battery usually if the voltage drops below 12 it’s trash, not the case with a lithium battery.

Attachments

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Well, got a text from Nick at Arch Angel Batteries and he told me that the new battery had shipped out to me a about a week ago and that I should have it any day and it arrived a few days ago. It looks nice. Very similar to the original battery that he sold me 3 years ago. The new battery has a digital volt meter on it which is cool. It tells you the amount of volts and the percent of charge on the battery. Battery came 99% charged when delivered. Another interesting side note was that the new battery feels lighter so I weighed the old battery and the new one for comparison and I was right. The old battery weighed 18.6 pounds and the new one weighed 15.0 pounds. Also, the old battery felt much heavier toward the positive side of the battery but the new battery feels perfectly balanced. Weird! Put the new battery in the car and it turns over fast and starts with relative easy as most people would imagine. The volt meter in the car was reading 14.3 so all is well. Been raining here so I haven’t had a chance to take the car out but I think she’s ready for Brian Mason’s private track day on Jan 7th. Praying for mineshaft air and killer negative DA with low humidity. See pics of the battery attached.
How much was this battery?

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Looks like I missed the boat on the $400 batteries lol

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I got one of the $400 Arc Angels back when. It is still performing like new. I have a electrical disconnect, so the car is shut down whenever it is not on for a reason. I’m going to assume that helps.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
There is a thread I started on these batteries ( on 1st page of the thread). I have one from amazon that was under $400

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I have a Darrel Cox lithium battery that I purchased last August and yesterday it was dead, showing 6.3 volts! Wouldn’t even open the trunk. I panicked because it’s opening day at my local track today, anyway my 4 amp battery tender didn’t like the low voltage and would not charge it so I put the 6 amp charger Darrel Cox send with the battery on and it worked, it brought the voltage back up to around 12 volts and then shut off, so I switched back to the 4 amp battery tender and this time it worked, it charged the battery to about 14.6 volts and then shut off, took about two hours. Anyway everything seems good, showing 14.2 volts while driving. With a lead acid battery usually if the voltage drops below 12 it’s trash, not the case with a lithium battery.
I found out they don't like cold. Last year my car sat for over a week because of snow and it killed the battery. Once I got the car in storage I took it out. It only drops a little from 13.2 sitting in the house over 3 months. Sitting at 13.2 right now, took it out of the car 11-5

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
I've had my DCR battery for 4 1/2 years now. Rock solid and on a ctek tender when it's going to be sitting for over a week. Never once lost a charge..
(56-926)

Taxinator

Member ID
Reactions
City
SANTA CLARITA
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT

Taxinator

Member ID
Reactions
City
SANTA CLARITA
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT
There is a thread I started on these batteries ( on 1st page of the thread). I have one from amazon that was under $400
No longer under $400, but it’s under $500.
https://a.co/d/2Tnp0Qd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
No longer under $400, but it’s under $500.
https://a.co/d/2Tnp0Qd
That is not the one I have. I went through the links and maybe it isn't available anymore. Mine is a 40ah L2-400 and I have not found it on amazon. That link is to a 68ah so it is bigger

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I bought the same battery that @vortecd posted and keep it charged with and Optimate lithium charger.