Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Flex Fuel is pretty awesome....

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
@BULL pretty simple really

- Proper fuel system including pumps and injectors
- Proper tuner that understands the intricacies of flex fuel tuning
- Access to proper and tested known good E85
- Don't get greedy with the power. Just because you can does that mean you should.

About what I thought, current plan is to put this ontop of a rebuilt/ported S/C with a 2.85in? pulley, and only enough "tune" to utilize the hardware, no more.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Probably with Curt...

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Ported blower on a 2.85 on E85?

800-850whp easy.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

800-850whp easy.

That's enough to push me past 200mph in the mile, pretty easily really.

That works.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
@TrackDay

Project for the winter...?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Good read Speedy. Very interesting 👍🏼

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
The fuel consumption would be something for you to consider. My fuel mileage is like 9 mpg right now, but I was able to fillup from empty for $24 on E85 the other day. That was $1.53 a gallon race fuel basically. Way better than the $15 I pay for race fuel.

With flex you could split the difference though and do like E60 and still be ahead and fuel mileage not as bad.
Oh, thanks, I understand. A local tech programmed my 2006 SRT for E85 long ago, and I DD a flex-fuel vehicle. It’s great stuff, but the penalty exists. At the track, I would be happy with a very custom type of 93 octane tune, reaching deep into the traction control and the stability parts of “Track Mode” and elimination of all of the hiccups, but give me firm but not back breaking shifts, and 50 or so additional HP and tighter torque and response could be handy. Sounds like you guys can slide the scale and dial in the power with the % alcohol. It could be fun to find the sweet spot of E85 + gas and a hell of a lot less expensive then 93 octane and Octanium in each tank too. Keep it up @Speedy! good stuff!

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
@TrackDay

Project for the winter...?
I'm sure you'll love it. I have an extra snout and a Metco 2.85 that have never been used if you're interested.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Working with Curt and considering this for the future. Found some E85 about an hour away.

greasy

Member ID
Reactions
City
HOFFMAN ESTATES
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Love the corn and like you folks on here, Speedway has some great E85 here in Chicago. Casey's and Thornton's do as well out here.

800-850whp easy.

800-850whp easy.
No need for a ported blower to make those numbers. I am making 834 with a 2.85 on a stock blower and that is on a Mustang dyno. I would think a ported blower would have you around 900 wheel.

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Chall SRT Hellcat Redeye
Wouldn't recommend running straight e85 or e90 with 1050 injectors ...flex fuel tune or not...with a 2.72

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #32
Mine didn't start to see high inj DC and fuel pump % until 40 degree air on E85 and ID1000 injectors. Aircharge recorded in the logs was 2,000+ so definitely good air. Inj DC peaked at 86% if memory serves around 6400 RPM. Add a couple gallons of 93 to get to E70 took the inj DC back down to around 70 to 75% and fuel pump to 84%. Commanded lambda is .81 for reference.

Doable, but you do have to watch things in really cold air. ID1300 would definitely help. I'm running the Redeye motor for reference, the bigger cam makes more mojo than a regular Hellcat so that's a factor as well.

Last edited:

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye Widebody
I know on the flex tune on the 2.79 I'm making 16psi and its downright scary on street tires.

On the ET R's on the street it feels even faster yet. Just feel the carrier bearing screaming for dear life (THUMP) and she's off. No squeal. No BS. Dead hook and gone from a 40 roll.

A full pull in 5th is good til almost 140mph. That's insane.

Truth be told...I cruise most of the time when NOT validating changes...in Eco mode :(
I'm impressed you're man enough to admit it! Right there with ya!

WidebodyCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Holbrook
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Widebody Hellcat
Great thread Speedy!
Flex fuel route seems so much better then dedicated E85.
Correct me if Im wrong...
Upper Pulley. How is that pulley holding up?
Injectors..(what size are you running?)
Duel Fuel pump
Tune
Then there is the Flex Fuel Kit itself..
Am I missing something?
Mind disclosing results.
Edit. I see 1000 injectors
have a SS, this is a route I am thinking..

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #35
2.72 Hellraiser decoupler pulley - it's not had any issues at all
ID1000 injectors (if buying specifically for flex I'd get 1300x though, I just had ID1000s already so used them) in really cold air I'm maxing them out
Dual drop in fuel pump (this is what allowed me to do flex in the first place with the ID1000 injectors)
Tune from Mike@OSTDyno.com although I'm doing a lot of it myself these days after Mike was generous enough to mentor me for about a year.
There is no "flex fuel kit", at least on mine, just the above.

As for results it's worked great. The injectors have to be dialed in just about perfect for it all to work properly, and that took me the most time to do as I personally worked on that. Experienced tuners probably have a library and can do it much faster or even have it right out of the gate. Mine calculates to about 10% of what 93 octane should be and within 5% when using E85. It seems to be more accurate with ethanol for whatever reason, but everything works great and I'd never even know if I wasn't data logging.

Once I hit about E80 I'm getting the same amount of power (or a little more) than I get in my full on 109 octane race gas tune. I've not done any track testing as of yet as I finished out the 2020 season on race fuel, but plan to do some E85 testing in 2021.

WidebodyCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Holbrook
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Widebody Hellcat
2.72 Hellraiser decoupler pulley - it's not had any issues at all
ID1000 injectors (if buying specifically for flex I'd get 1300x though, I just had ID1000s already so used them) in really cold air I'm maxing them out
Dual drop in fuel pump (this is what allowed me to do flex in the first place with the ID1000 injectors)
Tune from Mike@OSTDyno.com although I'm doing a lot of it myself these days after Mike was generous enough to mentor me for about a year.
There is no "flex fuel kit", at least on mine, just the above.

As for results it's worked great. The injectors have to be dialed in just about perfect for it all to work properly, and that took me the most time to do as I personally worked on that. Experienced tuners probably have a library and can do it much faster or even have it right out of the gate. Mine calculates to about 10% of what 93 octane should be and within 5% when using E85. It seems to be more accurate with ethanol for whatever reason, but everything works great and I'd never even know if I wasn't data logging.

Once I hit about E80 I'm getting the same amount of power (or a little more) than I get in my full on 109 octane race gas tune. I've not done any track testing as of yet as I finished out the 2020 season on race fuel, but plan to do some E85 testing in 2021.
So its just to tune allowing you to flex fuel the car. Very interesting! Thanks for that info Speedy.