Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Challenger Hellcat A/C help

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Go Man Cher has da right row 2 whoe. If it waz der gas it wer freeze upster, leak at der fittens, or whore zezes, freeze upster. Equipment mal fuckshun. Take da lowest prizers 1st and replace. Snot da chiller. Must axpensive. Cumpresser snot cheap eyezer. Yo 45- 70 footer WATTS youz talkin about?? I ain't frum slong bitch. Ize bee frum Tennaseer.

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #22
Kirk emailed me back. He thinks the AC isnt kicking on even though the clutch is enganging. The pressures im getting are very similar to static pressures without the ac on (even though it is) likely culprit is the high pressure switch. It had to be relocated when i did the interchiller. most likely somethings was bumped or loosened when removing the bumper to install new tank and cwa 400. No idea how to actually check the switch though so ill start with just looking at it and seeing.

zhc

Founding Member
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Kirk emailed me back. He thinks the AC isnt kicking on even though the clutch is enganging. The pressures im getting are very similar to static pressures without the ac on (even though it is) likely culprit is the high pressure switch. It had to be relocated when i did the interchiller. most likely somethings was bumped or loosened when removing the bumper to install new tank and cwa 400. No idea how to actually check the switch though so I’ll start with just looking at it and seeing.
You can log high side ac pressure in hp tuners and see if the data it’s reading matches your gauges.

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #24
You can log high side ac pressure in hp tuners and see if the data it’s reading matches your gauges.
Awesome. That should point me in the right direction. I bet I just snaggee a wire removing and reinstalling the front fascia. Im on the unit until 7p est. So ill get home and look at it tonight. Will update. Got a new tank to showcase for the community too.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Kirk emailed me back. He thinks the AC isnt kicking on even though the clutch is enganging. The pressures im getting are very similar to static pressures without the ac on (even though it is) likely culprit is the high pressure switch. It had to be relocated when i did the interchiller. most likely somethings was bumped or loosened when removing the bumper to install new tank and cwa 400. No idea how to actually check the switch though so ill start with just looking at it and seeing.
Static pressure if the compressor wasn’t turning would be the same on both ports. Gauge up both ports with everything room temp over night, should be the same. Once running and hot the static pressure may skew a bit because of temperature changes on section to another but 100 psi difference static does not sound right to me at least. My systems static pressure is about 65 psi at 75F, both ports. Goes up at temp goes up but stays pretty even on both sides until the compressor kicks in then about 50-60 on low side and 250-325 high side depending on air flow across the condenser

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #26
I think this pic shows what youre saying. Sane on both sides. The only issue is this is with the car on, ac on, clutch engaged and spinning. Spoke with another person and they agree it could definetly be the high pressure switch so ill comb over that when i get home.

Attachments

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Surry fer snot logg in. Puter took a hit. Ovah now. Your a/c shuld read, a purrfect read, wood be a 17 deegree dafferance beetween youz supply and returd inlets and outlets. Dat is da purrfect seetuns. Any ware snear dat is guud. If snot youalls diffarenchals are out ov wack. Start dare and muve back ards.

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #28
Surry fer snot logg in. Puter took a hit. Ovah now. Your a/c shuld read, a purrfect read, wood be a 17 deegree dafferance beetween youz supply and returd inlets and outlets. Dat is da purrfect seetuns. Any ware snear dat is guud. If snot youalls diffarenchals are out ov wack. Start dare and muve back ards.
Understood Hicks. Appreciate the help. Im going to check the electrical first as that is in the area i was working. Double checking the pressure switch. If all appears well there, I'll start digging into pressures and what HP says in the computer. Thanks again for the help bud.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I think this pic shows what youre saying. Sane on both sides. The only issue is this is with the car on, ac on, clutch engaged and spinning. Spoke with another person and they agree it could definetly be the high pressure switch so I’ll comb over that when i get home.
I see what you mean now, hot that is a possible static pressure. Are you sure clutch is engaged? Is the center portion of the pulley spinning with the outer portion? If it is it’s sounding even more like the compressor took a slug of liquid Freon and broke.

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #30
I see what you mean now, hot that is a possible static pressure. Are you sure clutch is engaged? Is the center portion of the pulley spinning with the outer portion? If it is it’s sounding even more like the compressor took a slug of liquid Freon and broke.
Quote from Kirk
"This is a static pressure, the AC system is not running.
The pressure sensor is located on the T-piece that was installed for the chiller, it may have been bumped and no longer connected.

Check your fuses for AC clutch.

When looking at the clutch you will see it free spinning, but when engaged you will see the bolt on the front spinning as well. "

Im going to verify the bolt is spinning as well. However he also states in another email, if the pressure switch has been disconnected, itll never engage. So ill check engagement first then check electrical wiring. I was always taught if the front of the clutch is spinning when as is on then its working and should stop when you turn ac off. Well mine does both. So it sounds good. Didnt realize i needed to look at the bolt too.

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #31
Verified the outside of pulley (and bolt) are all spinning together. Next step

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Mon aftah all dat, youz should beez guud. Dare ain't much left nore right 2 luck 2 look at. 1:30 am sew time fer a shot ov shine wit Dave. Ifster hees still da parteen frum da shine shoot out frum da no good Daltune, Ga snoot out. Guud luck 2 all.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Unfortunately compressor failure is a common thing with chillers I hear. Did you have a different brand chiller before this one? Did you use 134a or yf1234 for the charge? Straight Freon or Freon with an oil charge or some of these fancily advertised “synthetic”Freons like AC Pro etc with any additives like leak stop or detection dyes?

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #34
Unfortunately compressor failure is a common thing with chillers I hear. Did you have a different brand chiller before this one? Did you use 134a or yf1234 for the charge? Straight Freon or Freon with an oil charge or some of these fancily advertised “synthetic”Freons like AC Pro etc with any additives like leak stop or detection dyes?
Nope just this chiller
Plain ole 134a

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #35
AC on, everything spins.

AC off, the clutch stops spinning

Attached are two pictures of the Gauges. One with ac on and spinning. One with ac off and not spinning.

Same thing if i unplug the pressure switch

Attachments

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #36
Bare in mind this is only with 2 cans of freon in it after vacuuming it down. I got 2 cans in and saw the low pressure side jump high so I stopped.

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #37
Pictures worth 1000 words. You can see where were at now.

Attachments

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Your probably on the right path 👍🏻👍🏻

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #39
Fresh compressor in the AM. We shall see.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Frash presser, large $$ end 1st but save time wit da rest. Have youz testacal da delter t in er yet? Youz bee lukin fer 17 whore bettah. Dat wood sayve alot of time wit da cumprasser. Dat wood tell alot. Slut engagen mint, all waz luved dat at Diamund Dulls, slut engagement, hate engagements wit no moe, refrig lines cum taminateded, whore cunt controlls, hate dat. Wishet I wuz dare 2 help.