Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

4x4 2020 Ram/Tundra/Tacoma

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Somebody already hit the nail on the head and said "go drive them all".

That's what I did and I ended up trading in my 2014 Tundra for a 2014 Ram because I felt that was the best value. First American made vehicle I had ever owned, so I was skeptical haha.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
One thing to maybe keep in mind is that the 1/2-tons are like cars with beds, and have very low payloads.
3/4-ton Rams are the real thing, but still with very low payloads, due to the 10K GVWR ceiling.

I've had numerous pickups, but these days it's down to a Ram 1500 and a Ram 3500 DRW.
Small gas V6 in the 1500, since I don't like towing with it anyway, and diesel in the 3500 as all it does is tow.

Sounds like you have no need whatsoever for a diesel, and really only need a car with a bed.
But I'd still be tempted to get a 2500 gasser if I were you.

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
Thread Starter #23
Somebody already hit the nail on the head and said "go drive them all".

That's what I did and I ended up trading in my 2014 Tundra for a 2014 Ram because I felt that was the best value. First American made vehicle I had ever owned, so I was skeptical haha.
I may just do that.....test drive a few. But man, I hate the high pressure sales pitches that come with it. -I thought Toyotas have been made here in the USA for a while?
One thing to maybe keep in mind is that the 1/2-tons are like cars with beds, and have very low payloads.
3/4-ton Rams are the real thing, but still with very low payloads, due to the 10K GVWR ceiling.

I've had numerous pickups, but these days it's down to a Ram 1500 and a Ram 3500 DRW.
Small gas V6 in the 1500, since I don't like towing with it anyway, and diesel in the 3500 as all it does is tow.

Sounds like you have no need whatsoever for a diesel, and really only need a car with a bed.
But I'd still be tempted to get a 2500 gasser if I were you.
Buddy I worked with had a 3500.....or at least Fords version of it. He owned a concrete company also and had a legit use for it since he hauled front end loaders, backhoes etc. He complained a lot about getting crappy gas mileage in it. I'm sure it paid for itself over several years for his business though...plus the tax write-off. No way I need that much truck. The 2500 Rams are nice trucks too, but might still be more than I need.

Actually, I find the whole truck model lineup that Ram has a little weird. There's a Ram 1500 with what appears to be six models (Tradesman, Big Horn, Laramie, Rebel, Laramie Big Horn Edition and Limited) - and a Ram 1500 "classic" that has 3 different models within it. (Tradesman, Express and Warlock)....having this many different models is confusing and expensive when you start adding any options.....or am I looking at this wrong on the Ram site?!?

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
I may just do that.....test drive a few. But man, I hate the high pressure sales pitches that come with it. -I thought Toyotas have been made here in the USA for a while?

Buddy I worked with had a 3500.....or at least Fords version of it. He owned a concrete company also and had a legit use for it since he hauled front end loaders, backhoes etc. He complained a lot about getting crappy gas mileage in it. I'm sure it paid for itself over several years for his business though...plus the tax write-off. No way I need that much truck. The 2500 Rams are nice trucks too, but might still be more than I need.

Actually, I find the whole truck model lineup that Ram has a little weird. There's a Ram 1500 with what appears to be six models (Tradesman, Big Horn, Laramie, Rebel, Laramie Big Horn Edition and Limited) - and a Ram 1500 "classic" that has 3 different models within it. (Tradesman, Express and Warlock)....having this many different models is confusing and expensive when you start adding any options.....or am I looking at this wrong on the Ram site?!?
Yes its confusing if your not the Truck Nut LOL like me and the Classic Ram is the prior model not the new updated model. Still a nice truck and possibly a heck of a deal. And do not buy a 3/4 ton truck you will regret it being its typically higher in the get in and out. The chassis is beefier and will be a stiff ride along with fuel mileage will suck. The Chevy 1500 in all sincereness is a really nice truck and I miss mine which it had the 5.3 gas motor. I would get 28 mpg on the highway and around 20 in town. Thats insane numbers for a full size v8 truck. The Tacoma will be a 14-18 mpg at best and I would just for giggles drive the Ford Ranger and compare to the Toyota if your on the small frame truck. I love my Rangers but if your towing more than 4-5k than full size truck for sure.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
There's a Ram 1500 with what appears to be six models (Tradesman, Big Horn, Laramie, Rebel, Laramie Big Horn Edition and Limited) - and a Ram 1500 "classic" that has 3 different models within it. (Tradesman, Express and Warlock).
I don't care for the current model, so I'd start with a Classic Tradesman and add options as needed/wanted.
Although, the new model with the Tradesman black grille is starting to grow on me. For the Classic I'd definitely opt for the chrome appearance package.

Do pay attention to gear ratios and such. They can make or break a vehicle.

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #26
Yes its confusing if your not the Truck Nut LOL like me and the Classic Ram is the prior model not the new updated model. Still a nice truck and possibly a heck of a deal. And do not buy a 3/4 ton truck you will regret it being its typically higher in the get in and out. The chassis is beefier and will be a stiff ride along with fuel mileage will suck. The Chevy 1500 in all sincereness is a really nice truck and I miss mine which it had the 5.3 gas motor. I would get 28 mpg on the highway and around 20 in town. Thats insane numbers for a full size v8 truck. The Tacoma will be a 14-18 mpg at best and I would just for giggles drive the Ford Ranger and compare to the Toyota if your on the small frame truck. I love my Rangers but if your towing more than 4-5k than full size truck for sure.
Yeah, guess I'm not a truck nut...lol. Thanks, I didn't know the "Classic" Ram was actually the older model. Ironically, the "Classic" Rams seem to be going for the same price as the newer models on the Ram site. Why I would want to pay the same for the older platform....I wouldn't. Motor Trend rated the '19-'20 Ram 1500 as the best truck to buy. I like the Chevy LS series engines, but the bodies are lousy for rust from what I've seen. We had a fleet of them at work. After just a few years, you can see rust beginning in the usual areas...around wheel well flanges etc. Granted, work trucks weren't kept care of nearly as well as I take care of my vehicles. So I'm keeping Chevy trucks off the list.
I don't care for the current model, so I'd start with a Classic Tradesman and add options as needed/wanted.
Although, the new model with the Tradesman black grille is starting to grow on me. For the Classic I'd definitely opt for the chrome appearance package.

Do pay attention to gear ratios and such. They can make or break a vehicle.
Seems like good advice! Thx

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Ironically, the "Classic" Rams seem to be going for the same price as the newer models on the Ram site. Why I would want to pay the same for the older platform....I wouldn't.
Well, one reason could be that they are apparently still ironing out various issues with the Gen 5 1500.
Meanwhile, the Gen 4 is a well proven concept.

And personally I would pay extra for the older and better looking version, no matter what.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
Below are some pics off the dealers website when we bought my wife’s Chevy Colorado ZR2. The interior is a little heavy on the plastic side, but it’s a great truck. My brother has a Colorado Z71 with the long box, and he says it’s his favorite truck he’s ever owned. Both are the V-6, and both get pretty good fuel economy. At 6’8” I’m pretty comfortable in the front seat of the Colorado. It may not tickle your fancy, but I thought I’d suggest it as an option for the mid size truck category.

A7F396CC-14FF-42B5-B334-66ACDA37B4F9.jpeg 2A3A95DA-FC3F-469F-8FB5-9AA55E075AF8.jpeg E4022DCF-6094-40CC-ACD6-C4A853141363.jpeg

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #30
Thanks! Good article although seems heavily leaning towards Ford. But - seems like they do better than the other two in most areas except for usable bed space. Never thought there would be different useable bed space in same sized boxes. Chevy won that category...Thx for the info.
Below are some pics off the dealers website when we bought my wife’s Chevy Colorado ZR2. The interior is a little heavy on the plastic side, but it’s a great truck. My brother has a Colorado Z71 with the long box, and he says it’s his favorite truck he’s ever owned. Both are the V-6, and both get pretty good fuel economy. At 6’8” I’m pretty comfortable in the front seat of the Colorado. It may not tickle your fancy, but I thought I’d suggest it as an option for the mid size truck category.

View attachment 25761 View attachment 25762 View attachment 25763
The newer Colorado’s certainly look a lot better than when they first came out around ‘05!!

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
Agreed....with the prices I'm seeing on used Tacomas and Tundras. I've looked at the prices of 1-2 year old (used) ones with low miles, and its unbelievable how much they're asking for those....may as well buy new for a few grand more!
Ain't that the damn truth, I was surprised of use prices as well which let me to buy a brand new truck.

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #32
Well, one reason could be that they are apparently still ironing out various issues with the Gen 5 1500.
Meanwhile, the Gen 4 is a well proven concept.

And personally I would pay extra for the older and better looking version, no matter what.
Curious...what issues have you been hearing about the new Ram 1500's? I personally don't see a huge difference between the older and new ones.

I believe if I buy a Ram, it will have the 5.7 Hemi without the fancy new etorque option. The etorque seems like a good idea, but it hasn't been around long enough for me to trust it yet. Also, all the big 3 offer small 6 cylinder engines...Chevy is even offering A TURBO 4 CYLINDER!!

-The six cylinders seem to have one turbo or twin turbos. I've always felt putting the additional stress on a smaller engine in a big truck will affect reliability and maintenance costs over time (engine is overstressed and will wear out faster). Am I way off base with that thought? -Then you have small Diesel engines.

Anyone have one of these turbo gas or Diesel engines in a pickup? What's your experience with them?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Curious...what issues have you been hearing about the new Ram 1500's? I personally don't see a huge difference between the older and new ones.

Anyone have one of these turbo gas or Diesel engines in a pickup? What's your experience with them?
Let me point out that I have no first hand experience with the Gen 5 1500. What I've read has been on 2500/3500 diesel forums, where some also has a 1500 as a car. Or sold their diesel and got a 1500.
Also, I haven't really paid attention to what the issues are. Mostly electronics, I think.
Hop on a 1500 forum and see what you find, although complaints may be over represented, as on most any forum.

That 1500 Ecodiesel seems to be a love/hate thing. Empty they get very good mileage (as does my gas V6), but have apparently had more than their fair share of emission related issues.
Unless you want a diesel just because, regardless of the extra cost, I'd say stay clear of those.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Looking at buying a new/newer truck soon. It needs to have 4 wheel drive, must be reliable and not be rusted out 8 years from now. I think I would prefer a 6'4" bed, but I could get along with a 5'7" bed if the price was right.

Been looking around locally on the web, and I'm a bit shocked at how high the prices are on some of these trucks! I'm not a brand-o-phile....if its reliable and will last a while...that's my main concern. Initially, I was only looking at Toyota's (mainly Tundra). After surfing around the web and looking at reviews it seems the '20 Tundra's do not seem to rate very high among other trucks. The highest I seen them rate on one site was 3rd after the Ram and F150.

Then there's the Tacoma's.....nearly a full sized truck, but it seems they have very close to a full size truck price! But much more popular and rate higher among small to mid sized trucks.

Then there's the Ram 1500's. Apparently, it ranked #1 for '20...and you seem to get a bit more for the $$ as compared to Toyota Tundra.

I've not really looked at the F150 because I've had no luck with Ford cars in the past. Not looking at GM because they rust bad around here.

- I tend to hold on to trucks for many years since I never really use them for everyday driving. I like to take it out to tow the boat (just a 17' small boat) , and of course haul other things around. It doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles, but I don't want a totally stripped down model either. I like a few conveniences.

My poor crusty/rusty 2000 S10 LS 4x4 with 104K miles I bought brand new will have to go. It runs great still and the 4 wheel drive works great. But - cab corners and lower doors are rusted through bad along with the bed. I'd be afraid to put anything heavy in the bed...might fall through! lol. I plan to sell it for chump change. It would make a great truck for someone to throw a plow on and make some cash for a few years.

Anyways, for those of you that have had their fair share of pickups...here's the question.....which would you buy and why?

F150 and ram are tops atm.

Best bet would be buy a 2020 f-150 because 2021 is a refresh year, unless you want a bigger screen, first class style lie flat seats, a collapsible shifter or a work desk where said shifter was.

Ram is also a good choice, currently has the best interior but lacking in engine options, the 5.7 is a great engine as is the 5.0 coyote, the 3.5 ecoboost will definitely need upkeep on the turbos around 200k miles... nothing a floodford warranty can't fix... $2k for 7 years 150k mile extended factory warranty.

But I would try and test drive some of these before I make a hasty decision,

Also what budget are you trying to stay within?

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Appreciate the response! I just need something for light to intermediate towing at the most. I use it to tow my boat up to the Northwoods, haul furniture for folks I know if they need it, and take heavy stuff to the dump. Also use it on bad snow days if there's a lot of snow/ice. Gas mileage isn't very important....but don't prefer a gas guzzler. I've realized a truck is really handy if you own your own house! Hard to throw 4x8 sheets of plywood into a SUV!

-If I towed heavy things all the time, a Cummins would do well...but that's not the case for me, so if it's a RAM for instance, the 5.7 should do fine. I'm lucky to put 3-4K a year on my truck normally.....(my S10 is 20 years old and has 104Kish on it). I rarely see off-road driving, but if I do I don't want to get stuck easily.

I plan to move within the next two years to a much more rural (country) setting - south of here, so the truck will come in handy to tow a trailer and the small stuff left over. Looks like you're from Montana? Must be awesome there! I can see why you have nice trucks. I'm not looking at the upper models like you have, but something mid-range with just a few comforts.

Toyota is on my radar because of their record on reliability. I also have a 04 Pontiac Vibe with over 115K miles on it. It's been nearly trouble free aside from one brake pad change, and normal maintenance its been perfect. It's the best vehicle I've owned so far as reliability and body/chassis rust. Its NEVER failed to start or stranded me, and aside from a few heat shields underneath getting rusty around the mounting points, its amazing how its held up after 16 years of Wisconsin winters and salt. I call it the best Pontiac that Toyota ever built (its a Toyota Matrix platform and drivetrain).

I know lots of guys that are hardcore fans of the Ford f150's and have had great luck with them. My general experience with Ford is a '95 T Bird with a modular 4.6 V8 I bought brand new (1st new car I ever bought) that began burning 5 quarts of oil (about 1 quart every 1K miles) between oil changes at just 37K miles....right after the warranty ran out. Dealer said valve seals were shot and had to be replaced. Left a sour taste for Fords with me after that.
One that is 25 years ago, two that wasn't even a f150!

Let it go and try out the f-150, the new turbo and n/a trucks are great... plus if you plan on keeping it for a while flood ford/ziegler extended warranty!

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #37
I really do appreciate all your replies. I thought when I asked about which one, I would get Ram as pretty much the only choice since this is a Dodge/Ram type of forum. But I didn't, and other makes were mentioned.

I did test drive a nice new 4x4 Ram crew cab last week....it had the 5.7 Hemi MDS VVT without the e-torque stuff. I can say, if you want a truck that rides nearly as smoothly as a car does, the 5th Gen Rams are what you want. The new coil spring rear suspension makes a big difference. The interiors are well thought out also. But if you want any bells and whistles you're gonna pay for it.

I also test drove a 4x4 F150, 5.0 - I forget which model but it drove fairly smooth and was equipped nicely. I personally think the F150's are the ugliest of the bunch - unless its optioned just right, and then they look nice. And again, when you add all the neat options on the F150's and make them look good, the sticker price goes way up. It drove more like a truck, but not too stiff by any means. It was nice.

Last, I test drove a Tundra 4x4 5.7 with the off road package. I expected it to drive rough with the Bilstein shocks all around, but it didn't. Felt well balanced. It must be the design of the truck, but it feels wider than the others when you're driving and looking down the hood. Feels a little tight in congested traffic. Interior isn't up to Ram or Fords, but still nice. Although the Tundra platform is a bit long in the tooth, it felt well put together. Plus, Toyotas do have a reputation for reliability. I have a '04 Pontiac Vibe I drive all the time. I call it the best Pontiac Toyota ever built!! It's really a Toyota Matrix with different front/rear bumpers and Pontiac emblems. 115K miles, and its had no issues at all. Just normal maintenance...oil changes, brakes and tires. That's it. -And except for a couple of the heat shields underneath being a little rusty after 16 Wisconsin winters and salt, theres really no rust anywhere on it. Certainly held up much better than my poor rusty, crusty S-10. Resale value on all the Toyotas seem higher than the rest also.

-I know everyone is going to have different opinions on all the brands/models....which is good or else we'd all have the same truck!

So......drum roll please.......I ended up getting a decent (not great) deal on a '20 Tundra 4x4 Limited. Has leather, NAV, remote start, power rear sliding window.....bunch of other things. Has the TRD package also with 20" wheels.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Congrats and I have owned 4 Tundras over the last 14 years. Show some pics and you did good.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
I really do appreciate all your replies. I thought when I asked about which one, I would get Ram as pretty much the only choice since this is a Dodge/Ram type of forum. But I didn't, and other makes were mentioned.

I did test drive a nice new 4x4 Ram crew cab last week....it had the 5.7 Hemi MDS VVT without the e-torque stuff. I can say, if you want a truck that rides nearly as smoothly as a car does, the 5th Gen Rams are what you want. The new coil spring rear suspension makes a big difference. The interiors are well thought out also. But if you want any bells and whistles you're gonna pay for it.

I also test drove a 4x4 F150, 5.0 - I forget which model but it drove fairly smooth and was equipped nicely. I personally think the F150's are the ugliest of the bunch - unless its optioned just right, and then they look nice. And again, when you add all the neat options on the F150's and make them look good, the sticker price goes way up. It drove more like a truck, but not too stiff by any means. It was nice.

Last, I test drove a Tundra 4x4 5.7 with the off road package. I expected it to drive rough with the Bilstein shocks all around, but it didn't. Felt well balanced. It must be the design of the truck, but it feels wider than the others when you're driving and looking down the hood. Feels a little tight in congested traffic. Interior isn't up to Ram or Fords, but still nice. Although the Tundra platform is a bit long in the tooth, it felt well put together. Plus, Toyotas do have a reputation for reliability. I have a '04 Pontiac Vibe I drive all the time. I call it the best Pontiac Toyota ever built!! It's really a Toyota Matrix with different front/rear bumpers and Pontiac emblems. 115K miles, and its had no issues at all. Just normal maintenance...oil changes, brakes and tires. That's it. -And except for a couple of the heat shields underneath being a little rusty after 16 Wisconsin winters and salt, theres really no rust anywhere on it. Certainly held up much better than my poor rusty, crusty S-10. Resale value on all the Toyotas seem higher than the rest also.

-I know everyone is going to have different opinions on all the brands/models....which is good or else we'd all have the same truck!

So......drum roll please.......I ended up getting a decent (not great) deal on a '20 Tundra 4x4 Limited. Has leather, NAV, remote start, power rear sliding window.....bunch of other things. Has the TRD package also with 20" wheels.
Tundra is severely outdated, with that being said this is a good and bad thing.

Pro's
Reliability
No new generation to work out kinks
N/a engine with tried and true formula for longevity

Cons
No new tech
Outdated interior
Gas mileage

Looks and all that are all purely opinion, i think the new chevy and gm trucks look awful but gm fans might like them, etc etc

At the end of the day you followed posters advice as well as using your own brain to decide what you wanted to drive by testing them all out, you don't have to justify anything but it is cool to see feedback for others who might be in the same situation.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I did test drive a nice new 4x4 Ram crew cab last week....it had the 5.7 Hemi MDS VVT without the e-torque stuff. I can say, if you want a truck that rides nearly as smoothly as a car does, the 5th Gen Rams are what you want. The new coil spring rear suspension makes a big difference.
I think the salesman didn't know what he was talking about. The Rams have had coils since '09, I think, in the 1500s, and since at least '14 in the 2500s. And both can be had with air suspension.

But it sounds like you drove a 1500, since the Gen 5 isn't out yet in the 2500/3500 line.