Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2016 Cat recall changes

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
I’m in!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
justed talked to @DemonSRT an as expected he has no problem.
tomorrow I will drop the car down attach cradle an take a bunch of pics an measurements for anyone who wants to copy.;)
it works fantastic.
there`s a separate support for rear of oil pan so you can remove trans as well.

I'm good for a gentlemanly gratuity of beer or whiskey in trade!!!

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
If you have access to a 2 post hoist.

This Cradle works like a charm for bringing the engine down from below.

You also do not need to remove your hood.

You would first let the k-member, engine & trans assembly hang from the car by loosening the 4 k-member and 4 transmission crossmember bolts about 3/8" out evenly, then let the car down just to make k-member contact the cradle, then raise the transmission scissor jack snug under the trans.

(Of course prior to this you have disconnected everything else to allow this assembly to come down.)

You then completely remove the 4 k-member & 4 trans cross member bolts and slowly raise the car making sure you have not forgotten to disconnect anything or that it might just get caught on something.

You can leave the A/C system sealed by just having another set of hands on a six foot by ladder holding the Compressor away from scratching the block and valve covers as the car is being raised.

What I did by myself was bungee cord it off to the side and placed a heavy cloth over that section of the engine and raised the car inches at a time then get up on the ladder and make sure the A/C compressor was sliding by nicely plus looking for any hang ups as I am bringing the car up until it was clear like what oilburners picture shows a few posts ago, then just roll it away.

@oilburner, @Hpindy and myself have used it now several times and would never do a removal from any of these LX/LC cars any other way after the first time we used it.
Sounds like a lot of work to change the spark plugs:geek:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I`m getting my recall done soon going to walk into the dealer with my cats. the rest of the car will still be at home lol.
That is what I wanted to do but they said no. Instead I watched him do it and told him how to do it being the instructions said to drop the whole exhaust and I told him you don't need to do that, I have had the cats on and off a few times. He listened and even said that helped. They included new studs for the manifolds so once you take them out pretty easy to get the cats off

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
That is what I wanted to do but they said no. Instead I watched him do it and told him how to do it being the instructions said to drop the whole exhaust and I told him you don't need to do that, I have had the cats on and off a few times. He listened and even said that helped. They included new studs for the manifolds so once you take them out pretty easy to get the cats off
I guess I`m at an advantage after working in a small town as a mechanic an everyone knows each other, an we help each other which is the way it should be.
the company I worked for spent thousands a month on parts, so I guess that helps as well.:sneaky:

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
If you have access to a 2 post hoist.

This Cradle works like a charm for bringing the engine down from below.

You also do not need to remove your hood.

You would first let the k-member, engine & trans assembly hang from the car by loosening the 4 k-member and 4 transmission crossmember bolts about 3/8" out evenly, then let the car down just to make k-member contact the cradle, then raise the transmission scissor jack snug under the trans.

(Of course prior to this you have disconnected everything else to allow this assembly to come down.)

You then completely remove the 4 k-member & 4 trans cross member bolts and slowly raise the car making sure you have not forgotten to disconnect anything or that it might just get caught on something.

You can leave the A/C system sealed by just having another set of hands on a six foot by ladder holding the Compressor away from scratching the block and valve covers as the car is being raised.

What I did by myself was bungee cord it off to the side and placed a heavy cloth over that section of the engine and raised the car inches at a time then get up on the ladder and make sure the A/C compressor was sliding by nicely plus looking for any hang ups as I am bringing the car up until it was clear like what oilburners picture shows a few posts ago, then just roll it away.

@oilburner, @Hpindy and myself have used it now several times and would never do a removal from any of these LX/LC cars any other way after the first time we used it.
hey @BULL can you move this post to hemi dolly thread please

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #28
hey @BULL can you move this post to hemi dolly thread please
I think he should add it to the wiki section as well

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Some of the fuel dump and pump not keeping up could be by design. It's dumping a boat load of fuel at COT, way more than the car actually needs and now the inj pw limit "might" be reached and the bypass start to open reducing boost as well. Food for thought. All custom tunes I've seen, mine included, have COT disabled.

On the recall, I know a guy that took his car to the dealer for just "new parts" and skipped the flash. The paper work said "stock tune flashed, performance tune reflashed" if memory serves.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I did the recall and parked the car for the winter. When I brought the car home Friday I noticed a strong smell like an exhaust smell. Teresa came home shortly after me and she noticed it also. Anyone else have this after the v86 recall? Maybe the new cats are more like cat deletes

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I did the recall and parked the car for the winter. When I brought the car home Friday I noticed a strong smell like an exhaust smell. Teresa came home shortly after me and she noticed it also. Anyone else have this after the v86 recall? Maybe the new cats are more like cat deletes
I didn't have that issue. Is it possible it is a label burning off? Not the same smell though🤔

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I didn't have that issue. Is it possible it is a label burning off? Not the same smell though🤔
That was kinda my thought also. I did drive about 20 miles from the dealership to the house so you would think it would have burned off then

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #33
That was kinda my thought also. I did drive about 20 miles from the dealership to the house so you would think it would have burned off then
Still smell it after todays driving around? Any knew smells with new fuel in it?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

Mine took almost 1k miles!

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Still smell it after todays driving around? Any knew smells with new fuel in it?
I had the car running and didn't smell anything from the exhaust. I keep smelling something and notice it when I open the car door. Maybe the propane heater smell is in the car?

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #36
I had the car running and didn't smell anything from the exhaust. I keep smelling something and notice it when I open the car door. Maybe the propane heater smell is in the car?
I smelled your propane heater when I walked in today.
I smelled something different when the car was idleing. But don’t remember smelling in when we came back

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Mine smells like Stang crap.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
My recall cats are in the attic, they went in the trunk not on the car. I just put new cats on after my engine rebuild so I had my original cats to trade in. I brought my stock untouched pcm with me, they removed my tuned pcm, installed my original pcm, flashed it, and put the tuned one back in, never lifted my car. I also brought my 4 original O2 sensors (MMT fouled) and the goody box with 4 new sensors and manifold studs went in the trunk with the cats. The new cats look exactly the same as the old cats, even the honeycomb looked the same. They do have allot of stickers on them, I’d remove them before using them if I ever use these. 75AA7593-95F6-4731-9F48-C6AF314A561D.jpeg FC855C98-D4B2-4894-94AF-1EAA1616A14A.jpeg C28EDA51-3BEF-4F15-A1BE-6090927112BC.jpeg 0C621501-B7ED-457A-93B1-41539B062DD2.jpeg 64E62B03-1096-40B4-A500-5CD88D67F29A.jpeg

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States