Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Demon long block swap

Mopar78

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Waco
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2014 Ram RC SWB 4x4
Well she came in today. I have her in the garage and on the stand. I can't wait to have her in and up & running. Demon 7.jpg Demon 5.jpg Demon 4.jpg Demon 3.jpg Demon 2.jpg Demon 1.jpg

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Tell us about what you are installing the Demon engine into?

OP
M

Mopar78

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Waco
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2014 Ram RC SWB 4x4
Thread Starter #3
Tell us about what you are installing the Demon engine into?
She had a fully built forged 5.7 Whipple with SW complete exhaust and a ton of extras. 18 months/ 45k miles and a valve spring failure...Very disappointing to say the least. Anyways with the Whipple 2.9, SW exhaust, fore innovation return fuel system, FRP tune and a lot of other stuff, this seemed like the best option. She was a screamer and once you go super charged, there's no going back... At least for me! ;) Anyways she’s a 2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 with an advance fiberworks 8" wide body kit. She's riding on 37"x13.5 on the back and 37" x 11.5 on the front. Old school staggered set up. I've been building her every since I canceled my original TRX order years ago when they had a rough roll out. I've always loved SWB RC trucks and decided to build my own version of the TRX. I just never figured it would end up being a 6.2 Demon.

Thanks for asking!!:)

9Rex.jpg 8Rex.jpg 7Rex.jpg 7Rex.jpg 3Rex.jpg 2Rex.jpg RPD3.jpg

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Sounds like a pretty cool build

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
I have a RC 2013 Ram Express 4X4 (same as pic, bought it new) that I had to rebuild because of a lifter failure at 187,000 and I did many upgrades and have been contemplating a 6.4 or even a used 6.2 just because.
I am in aww of what you have built, that thing is just BAD ASS!!! Ram Express.jpg

OP
M

Mopar78

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Waco
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2014 Ram RC SWB 4x4
Thread Starter #6
I have a RC 2013 Ram Express 4X4 (same as pic, bought it new) that I had to rebuild because of a lifter failure at 187,000 and I did many upgrades and have been contemplating a 6.4 or even a used 6.2 just because.
I am in aww of what you have built, that thing is just BAD ASS!!! View attachment 137693
Thanks!

When the TRX was a go, like many others I ordered mine. They had a lousy and slow rollout so I had some time to think about it and ended up canceling the order. I've always had RC SWB 1500 Dodges/Rams since 1978 with my first purchase. It was a 1978 Lil Red Express Truck and I've been hooked on Mopars every since.

Advance Fiberglass came out with an 8" TRX wide body kit and that's when I knew what I wanted to do. I purchased a Whipple Super Charger kit, SW complete exhaust system and a 5.7 crate engine. From there it got expensive. I basically gutted the engine and went back with high end parts to include Hellcat items. At the time there wasn't a simple solution for just getting a drop in 6.2. When my 5.7 failed after 45K miles I started looking for options and found a solution for at least half the price I had dumped into the 5.7.

I'll know here pretty quickly if this all goes together as expected. When you order the Hellcat or Demon long blocks, they come with intake adapter plates and have dip stick hole for car or truck application. From there everything off the 5.7 fits. NA or FI, you just need it tuned. I'm excited about the demon LB, spec's show that it's the Mac Daddy when it comes to durability. It should easily hold up to the 10.5 of boost with room to grow. I’m now looking at 8HP70 upgrades that will handle 1000+ HP so I can take full advantage of the 6.2.

Best of luck with your build!

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Thats freaking dope truck looks sick goona boogie......

OP
M

Mopar78

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Waco
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2014 Ram RC SWB 4x4
Thread Starter #8
Thats freaking dope truck looks sick goona boogie......
Thanks! I had just finished painting her about 2 weeks before the 5.7 went out.

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
My actual truck with black sport rims w/summer Nitto’s and factory chrome rims w/winter Blizzaks
Cam replacement and headers, tune, hv oil pump, mds delete and vvt lock out done at this time. I’ve put 20,000 mikes on it since I got it done
Also I've change out the headlights with factory halogen black headlights. IMG_3807.jpeg IMG_3810.jpeg IMG_2579.jpeg IMG_2575.jpeg

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
Dang, that photo of the old cam makes me cringe! :-(

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
That’s one of the worst I’ve seen. You have me worried about my 5.7 now
Dang, that photo of the old cam makes me cringe! :-(

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Went out at 187,000 miles. I upgraded and replaced everything I could putting it back together. Only thing I did not change was rotating assembly. Still has good cross hatch in the cylinders and no lands. I was actually amazed at how good the walls looked and I am pretty hard on the truck, I drive it like I stole it:love::cool:
IMG_3794.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
M

Mopar78

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Waco
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2014 Ram RC SWB 4x4
Thread Starter #13
For those who might consider a swap, I'll post my progress and findings. Admins, please relocate if you feel this is the wrong spot. Thanks!

2 nights ago after work I installed the timing cover and water pump. I replaced the timing cover seal and gasket. When I tried to put the ATI damper bolt in to rotate the crank, I found my first hiccup. The bolt diameter was too small so I had to order a 6.2 engine crank bolt.

I also asked them about the difficulty I had putting on and taking off the ATI Super Damper. They said it had to be honed to remove the anodizing and heated prior to install. I must have missed that one in the instructions. Also after researching this on videos, it wasn't mentioned. But I am going to use the special tool used for installing dampers.

Demon timing cover 3.jpg Demon timing cover 2.jpg Demon timing cover 1.jpg

OP
M

Mopar78

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Waco
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2014 Ram RC SWB 4x4
Thread Starter #14
Last night I installed the ATI super Damper. First I honed out the hub a tad. I had to modify the tool to get it to fit the hub. I used a torch to heat it up a bit (not hot enough to damage the seal). I got lucky a found a bolt to pull the hub onto the crank (used plenty of assembly lube). Once the hub was in place, I used the Whipple pin drill tool, set the pins in place and when the correct bolt arrives, I'll torque it in to specs.

Another thing to know is that the LB comes with spark plugs installed so don't jump the gun and purchase some like I did. They will get used later so not a total waste! It was reassuring to see that the pull was lined up correctly so no issues there. If you will notice, the ATI pully allows for a wider belt when the time comes. ;)

Demon ATI5.jpg Demon ATI4.jpg Demon ATI 3.jpg Demon ATI 2.jpg Demon ATI 1.jpg

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Very cool!
Thank you

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Don’t let @16GoManGoHC2 see this, you’ll get him excited
Last night I installed the ATI super Damper. First I honed out the hub a tad. I had to modify the tool to get it to fit the hub. I used a torch to heat it up a bit (not hot enough to damage the seal). I got lucky a found a bolt to pull the hub onto the crank (used plenty of assembly lube). Once the hub was in place, I used the Whipple pin drill tool, set the pins in place and when the correct bolt arrives, I'll torque it in to specs.

Another thing to know is that the LB comes with spark plugs installed so don't jump the gun and purchase some like I did. They will get used later so not a total waste! It was reassuring to see that the pull was lined up correctly so no issues there. If you will notice, the ATI pully allows for a wider belt when the time comes. ;)

View attachment 137986 View attachment 137987 View attachment 137988 View attachment 137989 View attachment 137990

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
@Mopar78 Great Information and everyone loves pictures!:love::love::cool::cool:

I moved your thread to the "Builds" forum section!

~Linda :)

OP
M

Mopar78

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Waco
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2014 Ram RC SWB 4x4
Thread Starter #18
Thanks Linda for relocating the thread!

Yesterday I was trying to set up the oiling system. I wanted to prime it and make sure the oil was flowing before putting the valve covers on. 2nd hiccup was no threaded nipple for the oil filter. I wanted to pull one off one of the 5.7's to see if it would work. Unfortunately I did not have a 12 mm Allen head socket. I did get the plugs pulled for ease of rotating the crank. Also I can confirm the gaps are .028. For truck application (rear sump), you have to swap main cap bolts 1 & 3. Now the windage tray and pan can go on.

Demon oil4.jpg Demon oil3.jpg Demon oil2.jpg Demon oil1.jpg

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
That’s one of the worst I’ve seen. You have me worried about my 5.7 now
Best thing you can do if you want to avoid wiping the cam is change the lifters when it gets up around 100,000-125,000 miles on it. Consider it preventative maintenance. My 5.7 had a bad lifter at 144,000. Luckily I caught it before the roller locked up so the lifter did not wipe the cam.

OP
M

Mopar78

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Waco
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2014 Ram RC SWB 4x4
Thread Starter #20
Yesterday I got the 12 mm allen socket, took the oil filter nipple off the 5.7 and it fit the 6.2! One thing not to forget is if you’re running a rear sump pan, be sure to knock out the dip stick plug before installing the oil pan. I completed the oiling system, filled her with synthetic M1 0-40 and a quart of Lucas, got her primed using a high torque drill and oil flow was great. I installed the valve covers, checked the spark plug gaps and installed,they were .028 (stock plugs were Bosch R6) before installing the coil packs.

Demon oil 5-4-24 9.jpg Demon oil 5-4-24 8.jpg Demon oil 5-4-24 7.jpg Demon oil 5-4-24 6.jpg Demon oil 5-4-24 5.jpg Demon oil 5-4-24 4.jpg Demon oil 5-4-24 3.jpg Demon oil 5-4-24 2.jpg