Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Decided on a replacement for Go Man Go

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
WTF

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
If you go on you tube he gave a live show. His never ran correctly. Hopefully just a lemon.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
As the were running outside the plant they said "give this one to racerx, sounds funny" Another that sounded real good "give this one to Ron"

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #924
Not sure how they'd even enforce an oil change after every event, and all owners would have to get an updated manual insert for maintenance.

I'm doing things by the book on mine. Manual states 1500 break in miles before track events. I'm also changing the oil in mine before as well. I like an early oil change on a new engine, and with these 170s being overfilled by AT LEAST a quart, I want the right amount of oil in mine before running it hard.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I heard they overfilled the transmissions on these to help because of the wheelies and force. Wouldn’t be surprised if they did the same thing with the oil
Not sure how they'd even enforce an oil change after every event, and all owners would have to get an updated manual insert for maintenance.

I'm doing things by the book on mine. Manual states 1500 break in miles before track events. I'm also changing the oil in mine before as well. I like an early oil change on a new engine, and with these 170s being overfilled by AT LEAST a quart, I want the right amount of oil in mine before running it hard.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #926
If that were true then wouldn't the manual stipulate more than 7qts with a dip stick to match?

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Maybe they found a batch of ‘15-‘16 sticks and you really only have 7 quarts. :unsure:
(JK)

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
No because they didn’t actually change anything to make it hold more capacity, they just crammed more in (on the trans side). I don’t think they’d do it by mistake, 1 extra qt of oil X 3300 of whatever cars adds up. I think it’s it overcome a deficiency and keep costs down. They didn’t change the oil pan or pickup, they didn’t change the trans pan. A lot of people with hellcats making big power run over capacity, on the transmission side anyway
If that were true then wouldn't the manual stipulate more than 7qts with a dip stick to match?

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I bet racerx got 7 qts instead of 8

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
I Agree with changing early. This could probably invoke a debate multiple pages deep with others. My take is all it would take is some loose casting flash, slightly tight clearances giving up some metals, etc: etc early on could potentially dictate the future/longevity. Yep the cost of changing early could be money spent on something else in life. Why screw around and gamble with it while potentially getting into a pissing match with Dodge over coverage, especially on a newer variant that had early developmental issues. Willing to bet all here including myself have spent money on other things in life more debatable.

I had the dip stick out and scrutinized the oil several times before this latest metal shavings issue surfaced. Until this questionable issue pans out and the new 170 reliability proves out I will use prudence and caution. It WILL NOT be a garage Queen, and it will go to the race track when 1,500 miles appears. Just my .02

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
High maintenance
If you race every weekend
Combined with fighting
The spin
Fill them up with fuel

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Redeye
Racer X says dodge is now requiring an oil change after every single racing event. Is that true? His 170 has a blown engine. He states dodge is trying to get to the bottom of the problem and if it is an isolated failure or something that needs a fix on all 170s. Nice car though!
Racer X said that he did not change the oil after the 500 mile break-in......He was racing it with the original oil?? I would think that's a big no-no

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
The 2018 Demon
Is also high maintenance
I Have to always find
A place to put the new trophy
It wins on the weekends

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #934
I'm not sure an oil change is the crux of the issue. The 170 manual doesn't mention anything about an oil change at 500 miles, or anything else other than every 6 months or 3,000 miles. If something else is required they'd mention it.

Also, when doing these oil analyses remember it's measured in PPM (parts per MILLION) so even a measurement of 200 is 200 parts in a million parts of oil. So really a small amount. The oil filter is there to pick up the bulk of anything in the oil. My Redeye engine took 10,000 miles for the Blackstone analyses to quiet down on wear materials they were reporting on.

Having said that I do change my oil on new engines earlier than the normal frequency, usually the first at 1,000 miles and the second at 2,000 but I doubt an oil change had anything to do with RacerX's issues assuming it had the proper amount of oil in the motor.

My .02.

Last edited:

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
There are new videos as of two days ago. They state 11 have blown engines and 7 are now being analyzed for the same. The videos point to two possible reasons. Excessive pressure in cylinders and oil starvation. But the people making these videos are not engineers. I am sure Dodge will get to the bottom of this. I personally would not race the car until Dodge does release the cause and fix for such.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
There are new videos as of two days ago. They state 11 have blown engines and 7 are now being analyzed for the same. The videos point to two possible reasons. Excessive pressure in cylinders and oil starvation. But the people making these videos are not engineers. I am sure Dodge will get to the bottom of this. I personally would not race the car until Dodge does release the cause and fix for such.
Bad timing as Stellantis laid off a majority of their engineers. Sad how this is all going down.

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Yes, they brought that up in the videos. But hopefully they have a few excellent ones left.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Central
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Red/Red/Redeye
Just thinking out loud here as an old drag racer...Are all the failures that have occurred to date, from engines that were drag raced? Have any 100% street driven 170's blow up yet? Is this an oil starvation issue from the pickup getting uncovered and sucking air during acceleration? After all, this is reputedly the quickest accelerating, internally combusted, factory stock vehicle in history. Are the G-forces shoving all the oil to the back of the pan during those wheelies? Does the Demon engine using the same oil pan and pump the "regular" 797/807 hp engine used?

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
If they would have just parked them in the garage like all the 2018 Demon owners did, none of this would have happened!

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Just thinking out loud here as an old drag racer...Are all the failures that have occurred to date, from engines that were drag raced? Have any 100% street driven 170's blow up yet? Is this an oil starvation issue from the pickup getting uncovered and sucking air during acceleration? After all, this is reputedly the quickest accelerating, internally combusted, factory stock vehicle in history. Are the G-forces shoving all the oil to the back of the pan during those wheelies? Does the Demon engine using the same oil pan and pump the "regular" 797/807 hp engine used?
Heard someone mention dry sump system on the 170?