Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

WELL...IT FINALLY WENT

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
I have 3 HF float chargers, work great. I don't leave them on for weeks at a time, I usually alternate a charger between 2 vehicles and move them every 3-4 weeks.

If I understand EE correctly, the float charger will simply attempt hold a voltage and the current is a function of how much lower the battery V is than the float charger. The A ratting is the max, either how much it is capable of putting out, or how much before it will melt down, which I expect a stupid charger like the HF will do. But I have not had any prob yet with the HF's, and everything is charged and starts great!

People often tell me about great new things, but if I have had good luck with the old stuff, I stay with tried and proven. :)

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
I mount a fire ext. in all my cars...(mounts to the seat frame...just behind yer ankles)..cool lookin instal as well..
I'm cheap (but you all know that!) and I made my own. The difficult part is finding steel FE brackets, they are all plastic now.
FE.jpeg FEB.jpeg

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
People often tell me about great new things, but if I have had good luck with the old stuff, I stay with tried and proven. :)
Sounds like you think that the good maintainers and desulfation is something new. They're not.

I was using them when Harbor Freight was a single unorganized store full of mostly complete crap, located somewhat close to where I lived in CA.

Good intelligent maintainers have become better and more affordable since then. Although, HF stuff has improved, too.. Of course, it couldn't get much worse. But I still won't buy a HF charger unless they can prove that they stole the technology from a reputable and good maintainer, use the same quality components, and quality control.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Just for fun I put a meter on the HF float charger. The fully charged battery shows 12.8V when disconnected from the charger, and the charger holds 12.8V under no load (not connected to the battery). When connected, current was 5.8ma. I expect if I disconnected the charger for a few days the battery voltage would drop a little bit. Battery is just over 11 years old.

These sure sound like safe numbers to me. Thanks for making me check! :)

(Currently $7 at HF with the 30% off coupon!)

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
You still didn’t buy a battery yet?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Just for fun I put a meter on the HF float charger. The fully charged battery shows 12.8V when disconnected from the charger, and the charger holds 12.8V under no load (not connected to the battery). When connected, current was 5.8ma. I expect if I disconnected the charger for a few days the battery voltage would drop a little bit. Battery is just over 11 years old.

These sure sound like safe numbers to me.
2nd, the voltage is only part of the equation. An important part, but still.

Took these photos today to show how some chargers/maintainers apply voltage and amperage. They range from basic (a $180 NAPA charger, but with 12/24 V capabilities) to a really nice PulseTech.

Yes, it doesn't require much to provide 12.8 volts to a battery, but there's more to it. Much more.

Sounds you lucked out with your HF unit (no fires) and got good life out of your battery. Okay,only a load test will tell if it's actually good. In that sense voltage means very little, if anything. DSCN5409[1].JPG DSCN5408[1].JPG DSCN5407[1].JPG

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
2nd, the voltage is only part of the equation. An important part, but still.

Took these photos today to show how some chargers/maintainers apply voltage and amperage. They range from basic (a $180 NAPA charger, but with 12/24 V capabilities) to a really nice PulseTech.

Yes, it doesn't require much to provide 12.8 volts to a battery, but there's more to it. Much more.

Sounds you lucked out with your HF unit (no fires) and got good life out of your battery. Okay,only a load test will tell if it's actually good. In that sense voltage means very little, if anything. View attachment 137291 View attachment 137292 View attachment 137293
I'm not an EE, and I can read what it all says (great marketing btw), but the real answer is, "how much of a difference does it make?". I don't know, but what I do know is my batteries easily go over 10y and no fires yet. Hell, if HF burns my house to the ground, I'll just build a new one and let the insu co go after HF! :ROFLMAO:

I gave a HF float charger to a friend with a bucket truck with dual batteries. I told him that they need to be fully charged before he uses the float charger. Week later he told me it melted! :ROFLMAO:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Hey, on the positive side, I'd rather have an HF charger in the garage than an EV.

At least the HF fire will be easier to put out.