Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

UOA after Head Gasket Repair

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
My Hellcat had a small oil leak on block and was the left side head gasket. Right Side UOA was before repair and left UOA after repair. I expected to see some trace elements after repair. I benchmarked all coolant levels after repair and haven't noticed any coolant loss.

Right Side UOA was with PUP 0w-40, and left side said Mopar 0w-40. Looking at additives seem to show different formulation?

Wear looking good...Lead was higher after repair along with Potassium (coolant). Will wait for next UOA and hope Potassium is gone. Figured I would share.

Screenshot_20210924-074839_Drive.jpg

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Subscribed

:for head gasket leak oil analysis results

(Search terms)

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I don’t think there’s any copper any where in the cooling system for the copper to be coming from leached cooper in the coolant and it leaking into the oil. The rod bearings are mostly aluminum, the main bearings contain some copper. The high potassium is weird it’s high in most recent sample but not the last but water % low in both samples which is good, probably the potassium from coolant and The elevated coolant in the latest sample is probably from coolant spillage into the oil drains when the head was popped off for the gasket change. It most likely will diminished greatly with your next oil change, I think you’re OK
Edit-verbiage changes

Last edited:
OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
I don’t think there’s any copper any where in the cooling system for the copper to be coming from leached cooper in the coolant and it leaking into the oil. The rod bearings are mostly aluminum, the main bearings contain some copper. The high potassium is weird it’s high in most recent sample but not the last but water % low in both samples which is good, probably the potassium from coolant and The elevated coolant in the latest sample is probably from coolant spillage into the oil drains when the head was popped off for the gasket change. It most likely will diminished greatly with your next oil change, I think you’re OK
Edit-verbiage changes
Thanks. All is dry as well...no oil leak. Assuming trace amounts were inevitable due to repair. Not enough to affect wear. Regarding the lead, I'm not sure where that is from then? Car runs great and will keep thread updated with next UOA in six months.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Thanks. All is dry as well...no oil leak. Assuming trace amounts were inevitable due to repair. Not enough to affect wear. Regarding the lead, I'm not sure where that is from then? Car runs great and will keep thread updated with next UOA in six months.
Lead and copper are both bearing materials. Blackstone’s normal lead figures for Hellcat motors with 2800 miles on oil is 6-7 ppm so your right in that range. The lead may be increased now because the different brand of oil is not providing as much start up film protection as the oil on the right chart provided. The oil on the right has more zinc and MO in it which both aid in dry start anti wear protection. The oil on the left may not be as good for bearings as the oil on the right, most main bearing wear occurs on start ups.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Having my earl changed next weekster. Does NAPA do an earl, southern term for oilll, for ant partisapant?? Dealershit is still under warranty to perform this for free. Screaming and yelling all the way, thay are.

OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Lead and copper are both bearing materials. Blackstone’s normal lead figures for Hellcat motors with 2800 miles on oil is 6-7 ppm so your right in that range. The lead may be increased now because the different brand of oil is not providing as much start up film protection as the oil on the right chart provided. The oil on the right has more zinc and MO in it which both aid in dry start anti wear protection. The oil on the left may not be as good for bearings as the oil on the right, most main bearing wear occurs on start ups.
Great point on changing oil formulations. Mopar 0w-40 isn't PUP'S SRT formulation it seems. Great info...Thank you sir.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I was married to a GAL whom blew my hell gasket every Sat nite. When it stopped, I got a new one,, and divorced. Found this gas getster place called Diamond Dolls in not so Queer Water, Fl. I reside there now. The all youz can eat there is awsume. Never get full thou.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I was married to a GAL whom blew my hell gasket every Sat nite. When it stopped, I got a new one,, and divorced. Found this gas getster place called Diamond Dolls in not so Queer Water, Fl. I reside there now. The all youz can eat there is awsume. Never get full thou.

Hick, you went off in the weeds a bit there...

:unsure:

OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
Ok, I am getting old, here is my Blackstone UOA which is right before head gasket repair...still no lead...using PUP 0W-40. I also have another Napa UOA before this one, but not reflected? Will post up...have to find it.

Screenshot_20210925-060051_Drive.jpg

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Ok, I am getting old, here is my Blackstone UOA which is right before head gasket repair...still no lead...using PUP 0W-40. I also have another Napa UOA before this one, but not reflected? Will post up...have to find it.

View attachment 54303

FYI

I saw on another forum that there are (claimed) known differences in values from one lab to the next. I saw one set of reports that were sent to Blackstone and Napa? (edit: Wix) that showed different results for the same oil. (Although not large).

I'm on my phone at the moment, but I downloaded the reports on my PC, later I'll post them up.

At the moment I have three samples in to Blackstone from my last oil change. I took the samples three different ways. The goal is to test whether or not sample method results in different values.

(I bought one of their vacuum dipstick oil sample kits)

1st sample - cold eng, vacuum dipstick
2nd sample - hot eng, vacuum dipstick
3rd sample - hot eng, clean catch method from oil pan.

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
See attached (I'm not sure how much I think this is an issue or not, provided as reference only and not mine to begin with)

Attachments

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Subd

OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
UPDATE:

Had my second oil change after head gasket repair. Looking like potassium from repair is gone (10 ppm vs. 65 ppm). Looking like all is returning to normal.

Attachments

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Speedy! you send any out?

im wondering what metals from wear are normal in a engine that sees a lot of drag racing?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Yeah I did a video on mine. Check the E85 analysis one

OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
New UOA after second head gasket repair. This time the tech discovered a small burr on the head and replaced whole assembly.

Other factors in this UOA, new area, WAY MORE spirited driving due to better road opportunities. 93 vs. 91 Octane (doesn't matter most likely).

Report didn't put mileage. Was slightly under 4,000 miles.

Was assuming relative wear would have been higher due to my more aggressive daily driving opportunities. Previous UOAs are above.

UOA.jpg

OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #18
New UOA after second head gasket repair. This time the tech discovered a small burr on the head and replaced whole assembly.

Other factors in this UOA, new area, WAY MORE spirited driving due to better road opportunities. 93 vs. 91 Octane (doesn't matter most likely).

Report didn't put mileage. Was slightly under 4,000 miles.

Was assuming relative wear would have been higher due to my more aggressive daily driving opportunities. Previous UOAs are above.

View attachment 117118
New UOA was also with magnetic drain plug.