Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Unlocking the PCM

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Does anyone know the procedure for unlocking the PCM?

Sometimes on ICs it's as simple as reconnecting/connecting a "write" trace between the chip and the board, or other various physical changes. Perhaps a resistor either removed or placed.

It seems if everyone is moving towards self tuning, then this should be/has to be the first step.

:unsure:

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
As far as I know only the HP, HHP etc. tuners have done this. It's not only mechanical it also requires some software modifications.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I don't remember the process for sure. At one point I knew a brief overview.
For us who self tune we still send it to be unlocked because it takes 6 credits from HP Tuners to tune a hellcat engine + trans. With the purchase of 6 credits is a free unlock form HP Tuners. So you just send it to them and they do it no charge.
For 2018+ HP tuners has to do the unlock for it to work with HP Tuners

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I contacted HP and they said if you put the unlock along with 6 credits in your cart the unlock will be free. I will be sending mine in soon. I have the MPVI2+ I need to register it first before buying the credits

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Does anyone know the procedure for unlocking the PCM?

Sometimes on ICs it's as simple as reconnecting/connecting a "write" trace between the chip and the board, or other various physical changes. Perhaps a resistor either removed or placed.

It seems if everyone is moving towards self tuning, then this should be/has to be the first step.

:unsure:
There is unique software and certain "items" needed to unlock a PCM . Not to mention it needs to be opened . It's not an easy task.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

OP
BULL

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #6
I knew that various vendor were doing it for "free" with certain purchases. Based on the "free", it gave me the impression that it might not be much real effort at all.

Keep in mind I'm from a generation of PC overclockers that physically changed out a clock crystal on a 8mhz/8bit board to overclock to 12mhz, so point being that doing a bit of micro-soldering and board mod isn't a big deal.

But if there is over hardware, software AND modding involved, then maybe it's best to send them away.

=======

However, if things keep going the way they are, it might be a service that disappears... And we might be FORCED into our own solutions.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
We already there where we can't unlock. Chevy has been using aes256 the last few year. Guess what no one can unlock it. I believe for the diesels there is a way where you can put a new ECU. But as you can guess it just makes it more expensive. The C8 corvette can only be tuned with a piggy back system. Well technically it isn't a tune but it makes it work for people to be able to through a turbo on.