Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Tensioner, Idler pulley weights...

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Curios what everyone's thoughts are on reducing the weight of the heavy tensioner and idler pulleys by installing lighter "better" aftermarket pulleys. Especially those who are pushing well past the factory power levels.

Do parasitic losses come into effect or would it be so minimal you couldn't measure it? The force needed to spin a factory pulley is considerably higher than quality aftermarket pulleys that are also designed to withstand higher rpms over OEM before failure.

More importantly Is the belt slipping ever so slightly with the heavy OEM pulleys, at a WOT hit, which directly effects the life span of the blower belt? Premature belt failure is what I'm trying to avoid.

Any downsides to a lighter pulley over OEM?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Your main parasitic losses (that you can do anything about) are the accessories. Hpindy here has a underdrive accessory pulley made he sells that is a worthwhile investment. It however is for the ATI crank pulleys only and those have to be pinned. So nothing for the warranty weenie guys. 😝

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I have all three supercharger idler pulleys changed to the metco billet aluminum ones . That is a 5 lbs savings . I can neither confirm nor deny if it makes a notable difference.. I have done a lot of little things and they all add up .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I have the aluminum ones from TBA machine. I did all 3. They spin better, look better and weigh less. He only did the 2 in the video then did the 3rd later.

OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #5
I saw that vid as well, along with a couple others. Totally agree Hpindy. It's the little things combined. Figured it couldn't hurt. Pretty much what I did for my Z06 build. Even more being rotational mass.

I did order the Metco pulley kit last week but they are about 3 weeks out from production. The only thing I didn't like was the tensioner pulley being 3", slightly larger than OEM. This will take, ever so slightly, belt wrap off the blower belt which I really don't want to do. So from 180* wrap to ??? My math isn't THAT good. Lol. I asked Rick at Metco about the 3rd pulley down near the alternator. This was his reponse.

"I’d rather not sell you a pulley for the third location when I can’t be sure it will fit without modification. My suggestion would be to order the 2-pulley set, and try the smooth idler in the third location before installing it in the intended location beneath the supercharger pulley. If you confirm it fits to your liking, I’ll get another smooth idler together for you."

Last edited:
OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #6
Your main parasitic losses (that you can do anything about) are the accessories. Hpindy here has a underdrive accessory pulley made he sells that is a worthwhile investment. It however is for the ATI crank pulleys only and those have to be pinned. So nothing for the warranty weenie guys. 😝
Lol...my warranty went out at 2000 miles. As most of my performance cars do. It's a disease.

Not sure what power level you need to be at to warrant pinning the crank. I would think close to 1000 flywheel. I think the hellephant engine does come pinned from factory. I'll look into what Hpindy has. Thx!

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I saw that vid as well, along with a couple others. Totally agree Hpindy. It's the little things combined. Figured it couldn't hurt. Pretty much what I did for my Z06 build. Even more being rotational mass.

I did order the Metco pulley kit last week but they are about 3 weeks out from production. The only thing I didn't like was the tensioner pulley being 3", slightly larger than OEM. This will take, ever so slightly, belt wrap off the blower belt which I really don't want to do. So from 180* wrap to ??? My math isn't THAT good. Lol. I asked Rick at Metco about the 3rd pulley down near the alternator. This was his reponse.

"I’d rather not sell you a pulley for the third location when I can’t be sure it will fit without modification. My suggestion would be to order the 2-pulley set, and try the smooth idler in the third location before installing it in the intended location beneath the supercharger pulley. If you confirm it fits to your liking, I’ll get another smooth idler together for you."
Sounds like way to much over thinking. The amount of belt wrap is very small.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Lol...my warranty went out at 2000 miles. As most of my performance cars do. It's a disease.

Not sure what power level you need to be at to warrant pinning the crank. I would think close to 1000 flywheel. I think the hellephant engine does come pinned from factory. I'll look into what Hpindy has. Thx!
You should pin the crank if you change to any upper s/c or lower pulley.
And the TBA pullies are a nice weight reduction from stock.