Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Street Racing in Philly. Pretty Much How I Remember It.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
I wish they were still running these days

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
fun to watch but not for me. All I think of is someone hitting those trailers

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #4
I wish they were still running these days
This was from the last couple of days. I see that the cops still just tells everyone to stop and drives off. Sometimes they would open a fire hydrant to stop the racing.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Street racing was huge in WNY during the late 60's and early 70's...nowhere near the speeds on the video...but awesome none the less..under the Skyway bridge downtown Buffalo...car guys lived for it..I remember as an 18yr. old spending just about every penny I earned on my 71 demon..hundreds of people came to watch on a Fri and Sat nite...it was date nite on Ohio Street...dangerous as hell now as I look back..it went on for years..till a car went through a crowd of spectators @ the finish line resulting in two gruesome fatalities...I'm surprised there weren't more...

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
This was from the last couple of days. I see that the cops still just tells everyone to stop and drives off. Sometimes they would open a fire hydrant to stop the racing.
Funny you mention the fire hydrants the police would come down @ least 2/3times a night to try and break things up...write tickets..hassle everybody...finally they sent a pumper fire truck to soak down the street..that worked..everybody would just hang out all nite @ the local hot dog stands...It really was an awesome time as a young guy...my wife and I still reminisce about the street racing days...

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
Funny you mention the fire hydrants the police would come down @ least 2/3times a night to try and break things up...write tickets..hassle everybody...finally they sent a pumper fire truck to soak down the street..that worked..everybody would just hang out all nite @ the local hot dog stands...It really was an awesome time as a young guy...my wife and I still reminisce about the street racing days...
We would race sometimes until right before sunrise when the world started waking up.
Cars were slower, the streets were worse but it was a hell of a time. There was a place under the I95 overpass that was open all night and had some great cheesesteaks.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I have a few friends that track their cars...they always bug me to come to the track..I haven't been there in decades..I know what will happen..it's in my blood...kinda like an alcoholic

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
We would race sometimes until right before sunrise when the world started waking up.
Cars were slower, the streets were worse but it was a hell of a time. There was a place under the I95 overpass that was open all night and had some great cheesesteaks.
That's the stuff you never forget...

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #10

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
If you're talking about in East Baltimore, that was The Circle Drive-in. It was on Dundalk Ave at Gusryan St.

We'd start out at the Thunderbird Drive-in in Essex, which I could walk to if I didn't have a car, meet up with some friends and hang out there until around 1130 or so. Then we'd head down to The Circle and hang out there the rest of the night. The I95 tunnel wasn't completed yet so that section of I95 was a great place to race. Hardly any traffic in the middle of the night. The Circle would be packed until around 4am when people would start leaving. Mr. Frank would keep it open as long as there was a crowd. That place was a gold mine for him at the time. It's been several other businesses since he sold it. It might've finallly been torn down.

edit: Looks like they tore it down afterall.

1669472236440.png

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Seen the date after I watched the whole thing. Looks like they go to the same place

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #13
Seen the date after I watched the whole thing. Looks like they go to the same place
It was along Front St down towards the stadiums around the Italian market years ago. Looks like it's in the same area.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
The best times.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
It was along Front St down towards the stadiums around the Italian market years ago. Looks like it's in the same area.
Been there. The last time I went, someone pulled a gun and was waving it around. People scattered. The racers were mostly street squirrels and just going round and round and running continuously.