Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Should I change oil for first time yet...?

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
OK, so lets say my engine blows up. The dealers says it's because the oil was bad and will not replace it.
I'm sure it happens, but I've never seen it with anyone I know in my life time. All my experiences with my Dodge dealer and SRT have always been excellent. SRT even stepped up and replaced an item and paid all labor costs for me once on a item slightly out of warranty due to timing. Chosing a solid dealership and having a relationship with your Service Manger is important. Not all Dealerships are the same.

So, I say "prove it" as you suggest. Then the car sits there until they sell it to a junk yard for storage fees. Because they refuse to fix it. Or I have to get an attorny etc etc etc.
Typically that's not how it's going to go down. You'd want to get SRT involved asap if you are having these kinds of issues. You do not want to get into a pissing match with the Dealership.

It's much easier to just do some common sense maintinance.
You have to do what let's you sleep at night. Common sense maintenance for me is nowhere near a 6 month oil change.

You yourself said that time is a factor in determining the life of oil. Last time I checked no one was offering to pay my attorney fees up front until we win this for sure case.
Time is a very small piece of the formula in oil life. As far as an Attorney, well these cases very seldom go to court.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
To each their own , but I don't take chances with oil since I race it.
I bought my HC new & changed it at 500, 1500, 2500 & now every 6 months which is about 2000 miles if that , since I don't put many miles on it , not a DD.

Last edited:

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Buddy of mine blew up the motor in his Ford Escape lease... all he had to do was provide a receipt of his latest oil change - which he hadn't done in years...
The cost of a junkyard motor and the labor to swap it was cheaper than the lawyer...
Pick your battles.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
There have been several threads on oil change intervals. FWIW, many here underestimate the quality of synthetic oils, including dramatically reduced friction everywhere in the motor. I have been following and using synthetics since the '70s when Mobil 1 came out. I ran Mobil 1 for years, even in my Turbo Buick when I had it. I have run several engines on Mobil 1 for 25,000 miles and on the same filter with absolutely zero issues! BTW, the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) did a test decades ago and found that oil filters love synthetics much better than conventional mineral/petroleum based oils. Synthetics just flow better!

Many here say they change oil early to get solids out of the oil. IF there are any significant solids that don't stay in suspension, they sink to the bottom of the pan and are a non-issue. If there are any solids in suspension and flowing with the oil, the oil filter is FULL FLOW and has a micron rating and traps any solids that the human cannot see before the oil goes to the motor. The inside of the motor is much cleaner than you think. After your next oil change, cut the filter can and spread out the pleated filter to see what I mean.

Having said all this, oil and filter companies love owners who change their oil more often than actually needed. I change mine @ 6 mo/6K per factory to keep FCA happy, but could go longer in reality.
I do not believe you went 25,000 miles on a Turbo Buick! Personally, I am not sold on synthetic oil. I had a 1990 Olds 88 with the 3800 motor and rallye gauges. I used Mobil1 because that was what the previous owner used for the first 65,000 miles on it. If I didn’t change it by 6,000 miles, it would lose 10 psi oil pressure! I put 100,000 more miles on it and stuck with Mobil1 every 5000-6000 miles but never used Mobil1 or any other over priced synthetic again until I got my Hellcat. I only used the Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic in my cat because it was required. My 2013 R/T has almost 139,000 miles on it. Changed the oil every 4,000-5,000 miles. I have only used conventional oil in it and recently switched to synthetic blend because that’s the only option available at the dealer. If I am going to change my oil every 5,000 miles, I’m not going to use 7 qts @ $8/qt or more unless it will void my warranty.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
I do not believe you went 25,000 miles on a Turbo Buick! Personally, I am not sold on synthetic oil. I had a 1990 Olds 88 with the 3800 motor and rallye gauges. I used Mobil1 because that was what the previous owner used for the first 65,000 miles on it. If I didn’t change it by 6,000 miles, it would lose 10 psi oil pressure! I put 100,000 more miles on it and stuck with Mobil1 every 5000-6000 miles but never used Mobil1 or any other over priced synthetic again until I got my Hellcat. I only used the Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic in my cat because it was required. My 2013 R/T has almost 139,000 miles on it. Changed the oil every 4,000-5,000 miles. I have only used conventional oil in it and recently switched to synthetic blend because that’s the only option available at the dealer. If I am going to change my oil every 5,000 miles, I’m not going to use 7 qts @ $8/qt or more unless it will void my warranty.
Hellcat is the vehicle I am least interested in playing games with maintenance schedules, warranty, etc. Seeing if Mobil or Pennzoil can go 2 years, etc. doesn't interest me. I might consider once out of warranty extending my oil changes to 1 year or 6,000 miles, but beyond that it will get more maintenance not less.

Trucker Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Out of IL. Thank God
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger M6
There have been several threads on oil change intervals. FWIW, many here underestimate the quality of synthetic oils, including dramatically reduced friction everywhere in the motor. I have been following and using synthetics since the '70s when Mobil 1 came out. I ran Mobil 1 for years, even in my Turbo Buick when I had it. I have run several engines on Mobil 1 for 25,000 miles and on the same filter with absolutely zero issues! BTW, the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) did a test decades ago and found that oil filters love synthetics much better than conventional mineral/petroleum based oils. Synthetics just flow better!

Many here say they change oil early to get solids out of the oil. IF there are any significant solids that don't stay in suspension, they sink to the bottom of the pan and are a non-issue. If there are any solids in suspension and flowing with the oil, the oil filter is FULL FLOW and has a micron rating and traps any solids that the human cannot see before the oil goes to the motor. The inside of the motor is much cleaner than you think. After your next oil change, cut the filter can and spread out the pleated filter to see what I mean.

Having said all this, oil and filter companies love owners who change their oil more often than actually needed. I change mine @ 6 mo/6K per factory to keep FCA happy, but could go longer in reality.
AMSOIL the First in Synthetics 1972 . This link explains their history.
https://www.amsoil.com/about?zo=5014722

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Napa has the pennzoil on sale again.
24 bucks for 5 qts??

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
Just got my latest oil analysis report. Just under a year in the crankcase and using, dare I say it? A non MS12633 oil. Mobil 1 for the win in my book.
Oil.jpg

OP
P
Member ID
Reactions
City
Youngstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #29
Just got my latest oil analysis report. Just under a year in the crankcase and using, dare I say it? A non MS12633 oil. Mobil 1 for the win in my book.
View attachment 18819
Any chance you sent in the factory oil at your first oil change? What did they say? No break in adders correct?

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
Any chance you sent in the factory oil at your first oil change? What did they say? No break in adders correct?
I really wish I had, basically I drove it home and changed it as soon as I could. I didn't like fact it had been in there for a year and halfish and only driven 700 miles. :mad: But it was low, even with the drain from the oil cooler it was just shy of 5 qts.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
I ran across a UOA on factory fill (think 2016 Hellcat) and didn't have any indication of break in adders... but may not be finding if different from moly or boron, etc. Who knows?

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
View attachment 18819
Just wondering. Stock air filter, or after market CAI?

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
Just wondering. Stock air filter, or after market CAI?
I just installed a JLT CAI at the time I did that last oil change. So I've been running the stock air box until then.