Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Shift scheduling. Anyone want to share?

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
So, what tables in hp tuners should I up? I was going to multiply by 1.05. But there are many shift scheduling tables. I do not want to cause myself too much work. Can someone point me to the exact tables that I need to change?

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
What are your goals? You mentioned shift scheduling but does this mean your looking to raise your shift points? Let me know what you want to do and Ill help you find the right tables.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #3
Yes on hp tuners to raise the shift points it is in the scheduling section. I would appreciate that.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #4
I think all I need to do is up the values in all agression modes. 0 through 4. Then on the maximum shift speed up that also. I upped the agression levels by 5 percent. And the maximum shift speed by 6 percent. The only thing I recommend is not to up the shift scheduling at lower rpms as it will make the transmission hang a bit before shifting to the next higher gear. Maybe from 70 percent peddle position up.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yes on hp tuners to raise the shift points it is in the scheduling section. I would appreciate that.
So I'm glad we spoke before you went and did this yourself. Multiplying the table by that number in your original post wouldn't have netted you the results you wanted. There are a few tables and no magic to edit them all, it is a painstaking process so lets get into it. When you open HP Tuners, use the keyboard combination ctrl+n to bring up the navigator, then type in "aggression". It will give you a screen similar to the following:
1639239704247.png
Aggression 0 is normal, 1 is performance, 2 is Sport, 3 is Sport Max and 4 is Track. When I was tuning my TCM I left normal and performance alone, those are the safe settings for daily driving. Aggression 2, 3 and 4 are the usual suspects when it comes to doing fast thing so those are the tables I recommend changing. So when you open up a table it make look like the following:
1639239894681.png
However those numbers are not RPM of the engine they are RPM of the Output Shaft Speed (OSS) of the transmission. You have to convert these values to engine RPM. I have a nice fancy excel from the Tuning School but they are kind strict on sharing class materials so I present to you from my google docs, the same thing... 🤣

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D7HzGC9Dm_3YSdamLiam4ZV7UmMUUdU7m5F6-07Qelc/edit?usp=sharing

You do not want to really up anything below 79.9 as you may not have the shift pressure to shift it correctly. You made a comment in the middle of me creating the excel spreadsheet so please don't do what you think you can do with just percentages, it's not how these tables work. So in aggressions 2,3,4 (for all the tables) make the changes for 79.9 and up and you will be very happy. I will include a post on shift pressures soon.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
So getting into the theory of this, if you want a shift at 6300, change RPM to 6000. Depending on health of trans and shift pressures it may take time for the commanded shift to occur. Log this in HP Tuners. @Speedy! taught me this tidbit. If it blows past 6300, command the shift earlier or increase line pressure.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #7
Thanks . Out with wife now. Will look at it tonight. I knew it could not be that easy. Ha ha

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #8
So where it says maximum engine speed i can leave that stock. just touch 2,3,4 aggression levels at 79.9 percent and higher?

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
If you are talking about table 44085, "Max Engine Speed" yes, leave that table alone.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #10
You are the man! Thanks. Yes I understand the concept of output speed shaft and transmission gear rpm.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #11
I had a tune and it was already at 1500 at 1-2 in the 100 percent pedal position. I think someone told me it will take the 90 percent pedal position which is 1348. It will ignore the 100 percent and up pedal position. 1348 x 4.71 is 6350. I know 1-2 over shoots this by at least 250 rpms.

So I cannot test it out on the street. I would just blow the tires right off. I think the car runs low 9s fully weighted with a good DA. The best DA I had was 5400 a month ago and it ran 9.71 on a hot lap after i blew the slicks off.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #12
So I'm glad we spoke before you went and did this yourself. Multiplying the table by that number in your original post wouldn't have netted you the results you wanted. There are a few tables and no magic to edit them all, it is a painstaking process so lets get into it. When you open HP Tuners, use the keyboard combination ctrl+n to bring up the navigator, then type in "aggression". It will give you a screen similar to the following:
View attachment 59202
Aggression 0 is normal, 1 is performance, 2 is Sport, 3 is Sport Max and 4 is Track. When I was tuning my TCM I left normal and performance alone, those are the safe settings for daily driving. Aggression 2, 3 and 4 are the usual suspects when it comes to doing fast thing so those are the tables I recommend changing. So when you open up a table it make look like the following:
View attachment 59203 I
However those numbers are not RPM of the engine they are RPM of the Output Shaft Speed (OSS) of the transmission. You have to convert these values to engine RPM. I have a nice fancy excel from the Tuning School but they are kind strict on sharing class materials so I present to you from my google docs, the same thing... 🤣

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D7HzGC9Dm_3YSdamLiam4ZV7UmMUUdU7m5F6-07Qelc/edit?usp=sharing

You do not want to really up anything below 79.9 as you may not have the shift pressure to shift it correctly. You made a comment in the middle of me creating the excel spreadsheet so please don't do what you think you can do with just percentages, it's not how these tables work. So in aggressions 2,3,4 (for all the tables) make the changes for 79.9 and up and you will be very happy. I will include a post on shift pressures soon.
I now see from 79.9 to 100.6 you are keeping them the same. That way no matter where the internal software is referencing the shift pedal position from 79.9 to 100.6 you will be getting the same shift rpm. Very ccol.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yeah, in first gear, by the time you are already putting the pedal to the metal it is wanting to shift so you prolong first gear by raising the shift points from that accelerator pedal % towards 100%. This has been my experience with my 3.09. Those numbers btw are just reference data, they are not what I currently have in my tune.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #14
I am going to try
1404/2109/3142/3952/5080/6400
For 1 to 2 6600 rpm. But it will be 6800 or more. It will blow past that 6600 rpm commanded shift.

So everything else stays stock on the shift scheduling page. I saw if you go on the dyno you can change some other tables. But I am not interested in that. Then on one of the transmission pages put in a value of something like 8000 rpms. On the engine tune put in something like 7100 on all the cut off tables?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I am going to try
1404/2109/3142/3952/5080/6400
For 1 to 2 6600 rpm. But it will be 6800 or more. It will blow past that 6600 rpm commanded shift.

So everything else stays stock on the shift scheduling page. I saw if you go on the dyno you can change some other tables. But I am not interested in that. Then on one of the transmission pages put in a value of something like 8000 rpms. On the engine tune put in something like 7100 on all the cut off tables?

Be cautious of 1st gear shift points.

Like you stated, its going to blow by that number, and we've had at least one member potentially lose a motor to this scenario.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #16
Thanks for the warning. I will down that to a commanded 6400 rpm shift. Then it will probably shift at 6600 to 6800. Bull are you familiar with tuning the transmission through HP Tuners? If so, any other recommendations are welcome. In the shift pressure under general I raised everything modestly by 5 percent. I heard to start out small. I am going to keep all the other safeguards on with torque management, etc. (If you do not understand something leave it alone is my motto.)

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #17
lowered 1/2 to 1362. Bull, you are correct. It blows by the commanded shift point in 1 to 2 by a lot.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The specifics and know-how are beyond me personally, but the condition is what I was aware of.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
so I banged the rev limiter really bad on a few shifts in first, id start with 6200 and see if it blows past it

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
For shift pressures the only tables you need to touch are Oncoming Clutch, I did Normal/Perf/Sport/Max. For Normal/Perf I did a basic mild change. Make sure all changes are in PSI!
Anything else could adversely affect your solenoids. So the mild changes for Normal were select all rows from 221lb ft to the maximum and and 15 psi to them all by using the plus icon.

1639274956575.png
Stock is above, mild is below.
1639274998762.png
Do this for all the rest of the tables in Normal/Perf. For Sport/Max I did a very aggressive change. Add 25 PSI from 75-146lb-ft and then 50 PSI from 221lb-ft to maximum.
1639275112685.png
Stock above, aggressive below.
1639275138337.png

With these changes, your trans is going to be shifting like a champion. I have many a log highlighting the crispness of these changes, nice high peaks and correct drops. The trans will shift hard but that is expected.