Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Saved a few bucks

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Turned out to be a cheap fix for a nagging problem. Why this worked I have no idea, but is what it is.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
How many more miles or time since then?

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #3
Months and probably 1500 or so.

Slows2k

Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger
Did you clean either of the rear 02 sensors? Leaded fuel even in small quantities doesn’t always agree with the sensing element. From your last track video, a little leaded fuel has passed by those sensors.

A small exhaust leak at the sensor can also cause the P219A/B codes, and reinstalling the sensors and compressing the sealing washers can fix.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
From a logic standpoint though, this makes no sense and the problem should return. If the original passenger front O2 was the culprit, as Speedy stated, the problem should have followed the sensor to the drivers side and it didnt which says that the sensor wasn't completely bad. Swapping the front passenger side sensor with the rear passenger side sensor should in theory have done nothing. The fact that the problem hasn't returned yet tells me that it will happen eventually.

The only way this could have worked without the code coming back is if the front O2 sensors on both sides are slightly damaged or out of tolerance enough that they aren't providing accurate readings but the rear sensors are still good enough not to throw a code.

Last edited:

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Did you clean either of the rear 02 sensors? Leaded fuel even in small quantities doesn’t always agree with the sensing element. From your last track video, a little leaded fuel has passed by those sensors.
This is my thought, the front O2 sensors are slightly damaged and not providing accurate readings, the rears are still good enough to pass, for now.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #7
Nope didn't clean them. Crushing the washer is a possibility but they were all tight.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Turned out to be a cheap fix for a nagging problem. Why this worked I have no idea, but is what it is.

Just for terminology clarification they are called upstream before the cat and downstream in or after the cat.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
@Speedy did you scope the sensors to see if the upstream or down stream sensor was reading slow ?
great video

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I’d take the hp tuner and have the car idling and watch the af sensor on bank 2 while spraying a little starter fluid around the intake manifold and see if it goes rich if all is well you may have an injector or ignition coil issue at one of the cylinders, also long term fuel trims readings may help determine if it’s adding fuel for a lean condition , could possibly be one if the fuel injectors orings not sealing

Last edited:

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
When my poor critter ingested leaded fuel, it got sick,, real sick All sensors had to be replaced, exhaust gasket, fuel rails, and the converter. A couple of times. 4 tanks of 93 and she feels much better,

Slows2k

Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger
Lead doesn’t come off the catalyst substrate or sensing elements easily. In my experience both the upstream and downstream sensors are used in any AF/02 sensor DTC logic.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Speaking of Tenn. Me and the cat maybe making a trip to Chattanooga for a 4 month contract job. Cold. But kills the fleas.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #14
I didn't scope them, check with with a multi-meter, or anything like that. Never had to go that far. Weird that swapping sides fixed it though. I've run my leaded gas mix through it 3 times now since that video was filmed as well and so far so good. Mike said he'd seen this pop up on modified cars from time to time and it's random.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I didn't scope them, check with with a multi-meter, or anything like that. Never had to go that far. Weird that swapping sides fixed it though. I've run my leaded gas mix through it 3 times now since that video was filmed as well and so far so good. Mike said he'd seen this pop up on modified cars from time to time and it's random.

Maybe it's a case of values being just on the edge of thresholds, by moving them, you moved one sensors variability to the other side, and to a slightly different environment.