Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Repaving a major road near me....

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
As I have often bitched about, Texas uses 8 or 12 different asphalt mixes and most do not lend themselves to good traction in the launch context. Well, the FM that runs by my neighborhood and around the town is being done but, weirdly, in two different mixes by two different companies. One area, which includes my house, is a piss pour job, with the same low trac mix as before (and lots of excessive aggregate). But a few miles away, there is beautiful asphalt, taken down six inches and replaced completely, no aggregate at all (I guess I could mass spec it but I haven't gotten out of the car to eyeball it either). It is very nice. Nice to the point that I did two tentative launches on the way to one of my stores today and it hooked like a mother. Tested later in other part of town and it just spun like a bobbin. only problem is, the good stuff is in a high traffic high travel area. On good stretch with no side roads but still not where I would do anything unless maybe late at night (safety for everyone first). But I will be WOTing in that area periodically.

You guys with good road all over by you, be grateful.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Let's have a cash days West Texas edition on it! ;)

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
I can remember a time when I travelled throughout the US for business and realized our California roads were THE BEST in the nation. Then Prop 13. was passed and our roads went to chit. I'd almost bet they're the worst in the country now, but I don't get out of state much now. My biggest pet peeve of the situation now is that when they definately need repair, they just patch up the worst area and then slurry coat a long stretch with a water based (latex?) tar of some sort with tiny pebbles in it. The latex crap dissolves; the little pebbles are forever flying up or collecting in areas, making for paint chips and bad sliding areas.

I think it's great if they repave and area where you can go "hit it" late at night! Please gimme soma that! :)

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Lots of crappy repaving seems to happen in this county, yet they award the contracts to the same company over & over again. Kickbacks to the local crooks in Gvt must be handsome :mad:
Not only is the asphalt itself crappy, but they seem to have forgotten how to use manhole risers and many are 1"+ lower than the road surface :poop: so you see cars 'dodging' them by going into the bike lane or adjoining travel lane - grrrrrrrrrrrrrr