Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Redeye Hood Poor Paint Quality

Member ID
Reactions
City
Youngstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
Wow. Sorry to hear that. Glad I don’t have a “Normal” paint job on my 17 HC Gomango. Very pleased with the paint quality I have. Please don't except bad paint as NORMAL. I just ordered a 19 Challenger HC RE WB and believe me at $93,000 I will not be excepting anything less then exceptional paint.
I think you are going to be disappointed if you go in with perfection stuck in your head. There will be some flaws depending on how much your willing to scrutinize it.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Thanks for the reply, but if you are expecting exceptional paint from one of these cars you are going to be disappointed. That is why I went with a white car because exceptional paint quality and FCA do not belong in the same sentence. Very much a shame since they have been building basically the same car for almost 12 years.
Also own white and haven’t noticed any paint defects[cheers]

Tsubahog

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fl
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Redline 2015 HC and now 2019 B5 RE - no paint issues. Please pass my glasses.....

OP
Chevyave

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Redeye, 20 Charger Hellcat, 21 DDHC
Thread Starter #24
It sounds like many members need to put their glasses on or maybe they just don't want to look too closely...o_O

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
My '19 RE has much, much better paint, fit and finish than my '15 HC. I got lucky, I don't have really any defects that I could point to for correction.

Stuff off the front wheels pelt the hell out of those rear WB flairs. Got them wrapped and some still blow through the wrap. Probably wait maybe a couple years and then I shall see if it can be touched up. I don't enter in big show contests, so it don't need to be perfect.

Those gray trim items along the bottom are a bunch of worthless crap however. I don't know what would hold up down there, but those are absolutely beat up. No, it has never been off paved roads! I guess the early spring season roads we used for break-in may not have been as clean as they looked?

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
It sure would nice to know production dates and pictures would be nice. As they say pics or it didn’t happen.

I am as OCD as they come and I have zero paint issues with my PCP Challenger Redeye production in Nov 2018. I can not say the same thing for my 2015. 88DF9A64-C02B-45F5-A60C-E3FF9D8F88AD.jpeg

OP
Chevyave

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #27
My car was built the end of July 2019. For those with "zero" paint issues I will bet if you look under each mirror you will find a fisheye on each of them, if you look at the bottom of each door, fender, hood and trunk you will find paint runs and or excess paint that collected during the paint process. For those that have wide body cars pull the rear fender liners and take a look at the sketchy body and paint work behind the fender flairs. Mine is terrible and if you drive one of these cars in a northern climate you might want to think about rust proofing them.

My point is you would think after 11-years of production paint and overall quality control would have been improved. This is my 4th Challenger and every single one of them had issues. If you truly have a car with "zero" paint issues you need to never drive the car because it is a rare as a unicorn.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
My car was built the end of July 2019. For those with "zero" paint issues I will bet if you look under each mirror you will find a fisheye on each of them, if you look at the bottom of each door, fender, hood and trunk you will find paint runs and or excess paint that collected during the paint process. For those that have wide body cars pull the rear fender liners and take a look at the sketchy body and paint work behind the fender flairs. Mine is terrible and if you drive one of these cars in a northern climate you might want to think about rust proofing them.

My point is you would think after 11-years of production paint and overall quality control would have been improved. This is my 4th Challenger and every single one of them had issues. If you truly have a car with "zero" paint issues you need to never drive the car because it is a rare as a unicorn.
If they are so bad, why did you buy 4 of them? Isn’t that like remarrying your ex-wife?

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
If they are so bad, why did you buy 4 of them? Isn’t that like remarrying your ex-wife?
Sorry I’m the proud owner of a unicorn.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Sorry I’m the proud owner of a unicorn.
Yep, its twin sister is in my garage, they were born in two colors. Built in early-mid December '18.

OP
Chevyave

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #31
You must have unicorns because I belong to the local LX club here in Dallas and not a single member has a perfect car. Some are definitely better than others and I guess it all depends on your definition of perfect. Don't get me wrong I still love these cars and that is the reason I have purchased (4) of them. I accept them for what they are, but my current one stickered for 90K and when you start asking that kind of money the threshold for acceptable also increases. The sticker on my fully loaded 2008 was only 41K, so that is a 50K increase. I am not a genius, but FCA is making a fair profit on these cars and all I am asking for is a higher level of quality control.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
You must have unicorns because I belong to the local LX club here in Dallas and not a single member has a perfect car. Some are definitely better than others and I guess it all depends on your definition of perfect. Don't get me wrong I still love these cars and that is the reason I have purchased (4) of them. I accept them for what they are, but my current one stickered for 90K and when you start asking that kind of money the threshold for acceptable also increases. The sticker on my fully loaded 2008 was only 41K, so that is a 50K increase. I am not a genius, but FCA is making a fair profit on these cars and all I am asking for is a higher level of quality control.
That must be why @DFW_Redeye picked his perfect unicorn up here in South St Paul after I found that one also. You guys must have a bad batch in Dallas.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I’ve looked very hard and had the crew that clay barred and ceramic coated the car do the same. Other then a minor paint nick we found nothing and I’m a nut fit perfection.

OP
Chevyave

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #34
Sounds like I need to stop by with my blue painters tape and do a paint inspection. Instead of a unicorn it might actually turn out to be a leopard.;)

DFW_Redeye

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dallas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
That must be why @DFW_Redeye picked his perfect unicorn up here in South St Paul after I found that one also. You guys must have a bad batch in Dallas.
LMAO!!!!! Yes brother, you are definitely the Redeye Whisperer :love: And I would do it that way all over again! :):):)

DFW_Redeye

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dallas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye Widebody

Nice to see another person here from DFW :) And yes as @DGatzby mentions, my paint was pretty damn flawless. Build date was Oct. 2018 and purchase date was Dec. 21 (Merry Xmas!!!) :cool:

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Nice to see another person here from DFW :) And yes as @DGatzby mentions, my paint was pretty damn flawless. Build date was Oct. 2018 and purchase date was Dec. 21 (Merry Xmas!!!) :cool:
And I was November 2018. 😉

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
@Chevyave seriously when was yours produced? We been screwing with you, sorry, we will quit sometime soon. Damn though just saw this weird thing.... IMG_1224.PNG

OP
Chevyave

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #39
Now that is funny! My RE WB was built July 2019, but my 2015 HC was just as bad. The other issue with my RE is when the motor was installed they snagged (2) of the brake lines in the engine compartment and bent them enough so they were making contact with the passenger side exhaust header. I repaired that damage myself because there was no way I was going to allow the dealership to take my car apart. Just disappointed that relatively obvious flaws were ignored and the car was allowed to be shipped to the dealership.

Member ID
Reactions
City
owensboro
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019redeye hellcat
My2019 indigo blue widebody just came in .The guy who is coating my car says it is one of the best factory paint jobs he has seen in a long time.