Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

R1234yf vs R134A ac compressor oils potentially an issue

WOHT

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lancaster
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge Challenger SRT
For those out there mixing R134A into an ac compressor that is made by the car manufacturer to run R1234YF ac compressor oil, you might want to search it up online. Seems to me that eventually there may be an expensive problem down the road. I found this online this morning. Just look it up for yourself. Hope it helps.

“While R-1234yf oils are backwards compatible with R-134a systems, R-134a PAG oils are not compatible with R-1234yf systems”.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Are R-134a oils backwards compatible with the old R-12? I have a 30 lb tank of R-12 that I was going to use in my classic Mopar that I restored but have a reman compressor that probably has R-134a compatible oil already in it? 20190713_115559.jpeg

OP
W

WOHT

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lancaster
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge Challenger SRT
Thread Starter #3
Are R-134a oils backwards compatible with the old R-12? I have a 30 lb tank of R-12 that I was going to use in my classic Mopar that I restored but have a reman compressor that probably has R-134a compatible oil already in it? View attachment 111660
I just searched online and came across this:

Oil Can Be Incompatible
Another issue comes into play with the type of oil used in the system. As previously stated, R12 systems usually use mineral oil, which is incompatible with R134a. When R134a comes into contact with mineral oil, it can hinder the oil from returning to the compressor, or possibly reduce heat transfer. This means that the mineral oil cannot be dispersed through the system properly, which can then lead to significant damage to the internal compressor and refrigeration system that will be costly to repair. This is why PAG and POE exist as alternatives to use with R134a”.

OP
W

WOHT

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lancaster
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge Challenger SRT
Thread Starter #4
I just searched online and came across this:

Oil Can Be Incompatible
Another issue comes into play with the type of oil used in the system. As previously stated, R12 systems usually use mineral oil, which is incompatible with R134a. When R134a comes into contact with mineral oil, it can hinder the oil from returning to the compressor, or possibly reduce heat transfer. This means that the mineral oil cannot be dispersed through the system properly, which can then lead to significant damage to the internal compressor and refrigeration system that will be costly to repair. This is why PAG and POE exist as alternatives to use with R134a”.
And this:

Can You Legally Use R134a in an R12 System?
Ultimately, no. If you’re trying to “top off” an R12 system with R134a refrigerant, you can face some hefty fines with the Federal US government and EPA. In order to legally use R134a refrigerant in an R12 system, it must be converted or retrofitted to be able to properly use R134a, and all R12 must be properly discharged and captured prior to charging with R134a”.

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
More shitty ass government overreach!!

OP
W

WOHT

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lancaster
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge Challenger SRT
Thread Starter #6

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
And this:

Can You Legally Use R134a in an R12 System?
Ultimately, no. If you’re trying to “top off” an R12 system with R134a refrigerant, you can face some hefty fines with the Federal US government and EPA. In order to legally use R134a refrigerant in an R12 system, it must be converted or retrofitted to be able to properly use R134a, and all R12 must be properly discharged and captured prior to charging with R134a”.
Thanks WOHT. My system is all new parts. New compressor, a/c lines, evaporator and condenser are all new. It’s a rotisserie restoration. The Classic Air guys said I could use R-12 but I think I’ll go with the R-134a because the oil in the reman compressor is 134a compatible. I guess my tank of R-12 will be for sale at that point.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
I haven't had any issues with 134a in my 1234yf made system. The IC chiller has been running this since the beginning. When you pull a vacuum using the right tools most of it is pulled out, maybe a little left in the compressor. I've cycled the coolant enough times that I'd be surprised if I had any 1234yf left in the system.

OP
W

WOHT

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lancaster
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge Challenger SRT
Thread Starter #9
Thanks WOHT. My system is all new parts. New compressor, a/c lines, evaporator and condenser are all new. It’s a rotisserie restoration. The Classic Air guys said I could use R-12 but I think I’ll go with the R-134a because the oil in the reman compressor is 134a compatible. I guess my tank of R-12 will be for sale at that point.
Not a problem. Yes, if your ac compressor is R134A compatible, then stick with R134A refrigerant. R12 will ruin your ac compressor based on what I read. Good luck with your project!

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Yet stir da 134A is cumpatable wit watt youve have. Put da utter refrianant in er den you have cumtaminated wit itster. It is snot EPA cumpatable. Like WHO IT said, stick wiz it. If Cali said it waz ok den dee rest of da wurld is okayed wit it. Demzs and NY say ok,, den okayed frum France 2. Purrsun snot rally wood n't give 2 cents in watt day sayb utt dat is tru. Watt Knot is correct. Do snot mix da figarants whore pieces.