Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

PCV system question

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Just wondering if the PCV is functioning as designed? There is a lot of suction on the outlet end but the catch can on my Hellcat has barely had an ounce of oil in it in 6,400 miles. The catch can on my 5.7 fills up in 4,000 miles. I have to empty it between oil changes. Why is there not more oil in my Hellcat catch can than literally a few drops?

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Is yours still stock

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
If stock and not ran that hard that’s normal when mine was stock even though I raced it it would barely have any oil at all

Last edited:

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Your answer lies in the valve covers.

OP
SilverBillet

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Is yours still stock
Yes...I’m an old drag racer but no plans to run this one. I really never felt a need for any more power out of it.

OP
SilverBillet

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Your answer lies in the valve covers.
Curious as well motorhead. Appreciate the info...I am a newbie.

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
That big, raised area that goes the full length on the 6.2 valve covers is a pretty significant, baffled chamber that condenses the blow-by vapors and the oil just goes right back into the engine. No real need for a catch can on a 6.2

Let the flaming begin!

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I
That big, raised area that goes the full length on the 6.2 valve covers is a pretty significant, baffled chamber that condenses the blow-by vapors and the oil just goes right back into the engine. No real need for a catch can on a 6.2
agree with you like I said stock mine barely had anything show up in it , since I went up in boost I see a little bit but not much

OP
SilverBillet

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
I did consult with JLT, my catch can supplier, and tested the PCV with them on the phone. It all seemed fine but I continue to be surprised at how much my 5.7 was catching. FCA should put the same kind of valve covers on the 5.7?

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Great info. My understanding was a catch can was less important on Port Injection and more beneficial in Direct Injection systems. My main reservation in doing one is potential warranty hassles if something comes up. Will probably do one down the road for extra protection once my warranty is up. Appreciate the info.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Let the flaming begin!

"Need" is up for interpretation...

I might loose some points when I say this publicly, but it's been long enough maybe?

And I've said a version of this before and didn't get any flack from the source, so let's see how this goes.

I know one of the development engineers for this engine, more than a little bit?

He runs one on his, so take that for what it's worth.

No, really...

;)

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
"Need" is up for interpretation...

I might loose some points when I say this publicly, but it's been long enough maybe?

And I've said a version of this before and didn't get any flack from the source, so let's see how this goes.

I know one of the development engineers for this engine, more than a little bit?

He runs one on his, so take that for what it's worth.

No, really...

;)
Good to know. I asked my tech and he recommended catch can if I was always running it hard (racing, etc.). Daily driver not as important in his opinion. Just afraid of getting scrutinized in a warranty situation for having one...but I know it shouldn't be a problem. Might order one soon for the passenger side and chance it. First World problems...ha.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Good to know. I asked my tech and he recommended catch can if I was always running it hard (racing, etc.). Daily driver not as important in his opinion. Just afraid of getting scrutinized in a warranty situation for having one...but I know it shouldn't be a problem. Might order one soon for the passenger side and chance it. First World problems...ha.

How you drive IS a factor...

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Yup, two different valve cover designs.

Manual transmission cars have higher oil consumption probabilities due to the amount of compression braking you do. You can sort of achieve this same effect if you use your paddle shifters in an automagic.

Top teir synthetic oils (like SRT PUP) don't cake on the backs of intake valves as badly in DI engines as cheap oils do, thus having port injection helps wash the backs of the valves in these cars regardless of oil quality (also why other manufacturers started putting port injectors back into DI engines).

Also these engines don't have EGRs and use cam timing to create those events at low load - which muck up your intake ports worse than a little oil blowby ever will.

The question is what effect does a little oil by passing the PCV system have? Probably a negligible impact. For me if it displaces fuel or air it doesn't belong in the intake tract. Additionally if it contributes to dirtying the intake tract (blower casing, rotors, intercooler bricks, etc) or risks detonation it again has no business circulating through the intake tract. This is the principle of the matter.

I have catch cans on everything I own - and some engines respond better than others. One thing I will not do is drop the insane money any vendor asks for an air/oil separator. Again that is just a matter of principle.

Almost done my first coffee...

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
The question is what effect does a little oil by passing the PCV system have?
Lower octane, increased knock.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Lower octane, increased knock.
That's the main reason I run a catch can on all my vehicles. Plus everything else motorhead said .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
That all sounds good in concept and theory, I'm just not convinced the Hellcat engine with it's big ass valve cover chambers really needs it. If I ever have the top of my supercharger off, or the supercharger itself, I'll be sure to check it out. Hey, I'm old school and think there are far too many gadgets people have come up with to try and separate us from out money. These Hellcats are the biggest example! lololol

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
This is an issue that will never be agreed upon or fully solved. Oil Filters anyone? I like the stock MO899. Not the Polish Kielbasa filter.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
...Not the Polish Kielbasa filter.
Hey now, I resemble that remark...

But I don't care for the ones that don't have properly opened perforations either.

;)