Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Looks Like We Have New Oil Alternative

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
It's made from sponge shine. Not good to drink but will bust a move on the track.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Wonder what price will be compared to PUP ?

For me I think I will just stick with PUP that is recommended so there's no issue on that.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
If so, so , took long enough. Makes ya think. Did they build the car around the oil or the other way around. Mobile 1 and Chevy the same way, but they have extended the time line on the mileage and time line on the changes. Seems like Dodge and Penz are locked up like a couple blue tick hoonds. I will read up om it Thursday while I am locked up 30 feet from the pool that is locked up with no skin around.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Valvoline is good stuff. Can't wait to see a virgin oil sample and UOA. Staying with PUP for now as dealer oil change package remains...will buy whatever is cheapest (rebates) going forward. Valvoline doesn't do too many rebates like Pennzoil and Mobil. Good post jroyk.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Great info, thanks for posting!

Trucker Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Out of IL. Thank God
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger M6

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
If an oil meets a spec, then it meets a spec. All specs have a range. Some will be at the high end and some will be at the low end, but they're still within the range for the spec. Just like getting an A in class. At the end of the day, a 90 is the same as a 100.....still an A.
And since all of these oils we use cost over $5/qt......I don't consider any of them cheap.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I suppose that is where the astm comes into place. There is a so called world wide standard that the companies have to abide by thru out the world in order to compete with the upper standards of the auto manufactories of the upper top 50. GM has Mobile 1, Dodge- Jeep- Chrysler- whatever is next has Pennzoil. Whomever is in bed with whomever. Business. A deal is a deal. Steel is a deal, carbon fiber is a deal. Mid engine with carbon fiber with an oil, and a premium gas is a deal. Buz ness.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I suppose that is where the astm comes into place. There is a so called world wide standard that the companies have to abide by thru out the world in order to compete with the upper standards of the auto manufactories of the upper top 50. GM has Mobile 1, Dodge- Jeep- Chrysler- whatever is next has Pennzoil. Whomever is in bed with whomever. Business. A deal is a deal. Steel is a deal, carbon fiber is a deal. Mid engine with carbon fiber with an oil, and a premium gas is a deal. Buz ness.
Agree. Only reason FCA is Pennzoil, is because they screwed Mobil on the bankruptcy a few years ago when they came out of it. I actually read that on here, posted by @Speedy! I think, not sure. So suddenly now the oil that was good for SRT for years is not up to standard?

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Agree. Only reason FCA is Pennzoil, is because they screwed Mobil on the bankruptcy a few years ago when they came out of it. I actually read that on here, posted by @Speedy! I think, not sure. So suddenly now the oil that was good for SRT for years is not up to standard?

Not exactly true. When things were getting tight for FCA, Mobil wanted cash up front for their oil. Makes sense considering the company was going under. FCA basically said see ya and Shell, who owns Pennzoil, jumped at the chance to get the business.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Technically we have two oils that meet the spec. Pennzoil and Valvoline. Never took sides on the Mobil vs FCA spec drama. Plenty of other oils that meet or exceed that spec but never spend the $$$ to get official seal of approval. Not worried about oil selection on warranty issue, but see more problems with 6 month rule...thus using Asmoil, Schaeffer's, etc. is a waste of $$$ and oil if still under 6 months (warranty). When out of warranty I plan to do 12-15 months or 10,000 miles (UOAs to confirm).

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
I typically do not change oil brands once an engine is run with a brand from new. I don't like changing additive packages. Not as much of a problem today as in the past, but a habit I have.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I agree, it's all about who is in bed with who... They've been doing this for years.

To take it a step further, if you're not in sub-zero temperatures... the 0 in 0w40 doesn't mean anything to you... the oil will never get cold enough to require the sub-zero viscosity. OEMs don't care where you live, they have to account for it.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Technically we have two oils that meet the spec. Pennzoil and Valvoline. Never took sides on the Mobil vs FCA spec drama. Plenty of other oils that meet or exceed that spec but never spend the $$$ to get official seal of approval. Not worried about oil selection on warranty issue, but see more problems with 6 month rule...thus using Asmoil, Schaeffer's, etc. is a waste of $$$ and oil if still under 6 months (warranty). When out of warranty I plan to do 12-15 months or 10,000 miles (UOAs to confirm).
Amsoil also meets MS12633, with the same API, etc. Been using it, for two years. No issues.

Dealer even replaced my SC, knowing I run it. I know that's not really a thing, but people like to jump on that bandwagon... oil vs warranty denial. Never been an issue, for me. Maybe I just have a good dealer :)

Here's the link:

https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/auto-...dodge/charger/6-2l-8-cyl-engine-code-9-esd-1/

Bob